McDuck

Troubling Stats for Portal Entrants

portal.jpg
FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

Ahead of the transfer portal deadline, the NCAA has released some numbers proving that transferring is a risky move for most FBS football players.

But it worked for the other guy!

6dwks4.jpg

• Oh no! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I suspected this might be the case.  The portal is not all sunshine and flowers.  There is a dark side. 

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence.

I’d be very interested to know the results experienced by Duck players who portal out…

I think a lot of us knew this might be the case. I can’t blame the kids because they are just kids and need guidance but not from the wrong people. I can’t remember who said this, it was one or many of us, but things should smooth out a bit by year 3. Another reason why USCs business model may not work out. Many of the transfers will be gone quickly and the portal may not be the answer every year. Still are going to need to recruit at a high level to keep a solid base of players on your roster.

So...the rules here, if you enter does that mean you've kissed your current school goodbye?  Can they cut your scholarship as soon as you enter the portal?  

Not sure what the school CAN do, but there have been numerous kids who have entered the portal and then gone back to their current school, so I don't think the portal is necessarily a one-way ticket out of town.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:51 AM, PittDuck said:

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence.

262745418_GreenerGrass.jpg.d3a388f513374d36e63afa6bb6df6249.jpg

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Now both coaches and players are able to move on to greener pastures. The problem is only coaches are able to negotiate a better deal for themselves before leaving. This may be changing with the statistics we see. Whether it is overt or imperceptible these players will be following their coaches methods sooner than later.

Might be the best thing for the future of the athletes, and programs? Real competition for student athletes, what can go wrong? I suppose we see that already the NIL, now the portal is next? 

Being third or forth string is still better than being no string at all.

• Applause 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:10 AM, JDuck said:

So...the rules here, if you enter does that mean you've kissed your current school goodbye?  Can they cut your scholarship as soon as you enter the portal?  

When an athlete enters the portal the school can cancel the scholarship at the end of the academic period when he entered.  For example at a school on a semester system a football player entering during the season can lose his scholarship at the end of fall term.  If he doesn't enter until January the scholarship remains until the end of spring.

Revoking a scholarship is solely at the discretion of the school.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2022 at 11:10 AM, JDuck said:

It's up to the school whether to immediately cut the scholarship when a player enters the portal. Some portal entries are re-recruited when they, like Seven, enter the portal. This was also the case with a Georgia 5* OL guy who entered the portal.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 4/26/2022 at 11:26 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Not sure what the school CAN do, but there have been numerous kids who have entered the portal and then gone back to their current school, so I don't think the portal is necessarily a one-way ticket out of town.

Kurt, the NCAA is in the process of turning over P5/G5 regulation to the conferences. The Transition Committee is expected to release its regulation suggestions in July or August. As I have noted before, this committee is co-chaired by SEC commissioner Greg Sankey and the Ohio University AD.

The NCAA has made some noise about NIL being used as recruiting inducement but after a 9-0 Supreme Court butt wiping I don't think the NCAA wants to face further litigation in the process of protecting the 'student-athlete' model.

Saw a stat today that confirms the grass is not always greener. 42% of players with scholarships who enter the portal do not end up getting a new scholarship.

Sad. Who in the heck is advising these young men?

Again with the high transfer of coaches changing teams the last 2 years it makes sense that there would be more players hitting the portal both by their choice of not liking the new staff and type of play that is being implemented or the coaches wanting and needing to bring in players that fit their system better.

You also have to factor in the covid exemption so some players can stay for a 6th year thus you get what is occurring.

It may continue in some fashion to be as bad as it is right now but I believe it will smooth out some in the future.