Tandaian

Dan Patrick on Kayvon Thibodeaux

Dan Patrick compared Kayvon Thibodeaux to Dion Jordan. 

Some glaring differences.  KT was a consensus top 5 recruit.  He played only DE in high school and college.  DJ was barely a 4 start, started out playing TE at Oregon and then was permanently moved to DE.

KT  6'4"  254 lbs  arms 33 1/8"  bench 27 reps  KT had the 6th most bench press reps in 2022.  The NFL combine average is 24.29 for DEs.

NFLSAVANT.COM

NFLsavant.com: Advanced NFL Statistics

DJ  6'6 1/4"  248 lbs  arms 33 7/8"  bench N/A

Do I think KT underwhelmed at times, absolutely.  I also know he was injured for most of 2021 season.  He had 7 sacks, the rest of the DL combined had 8.5 sacks.  I'm still on the fence of whether he is worth a top 5 pick, but I know he will be in the NFL longer than Dion Jordan.

• Wow 1

One of the things sports folks do that bugs the heck out of me is make irrelevant comparisons.  KT is like Jordan because both went to the same school.  Texas Tech will beat Wisconsin because TT is 4 - 0 all-time against the Badgers (when they last played in 1987).  

Love Dan Patrick, but the only person KT is like is...KT.  Might as well say he won't succeed because there's never been an All-Pro named Kayvon.

KT also (at least to anyone's knowledge) does not have a substance problem, and we all know what sadly derailed Jordan's career.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/26/2022 at 8:29 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

KT also (at least to anyone's knowledge) does not have a substance problem, and we all know what sadly derailed Jordan's career.

Beat me to it sadly...

KTs problem may be his over-assurance of his own greatness.

But time will tell

On 4/26/2022 at 4:52 PM, shawnski said:

KTs problem may be his over-assurance of his own greatness.

I've never figured out how in some people this is considered "confidence" and in others it's considered "cockiness" or "arrogance."

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/26/2022 at 9:40 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I've never figured out how in some people this is considered "confidence" and in others it's considered "cockiness" or "arrogance."

Easy, if they play for your team it is supreme confidence, probably nurtured by the coaching staff.  If not they are arrogant --------s.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/26/2022 at 9:40 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

For myself, it usually boils down to results. Good results pushes them towards a positive connotation 

As "confidence" seems a little more tolerable than "cockiness"

On 4/26/2022 at 8:03 AM, Tandaian said:

Do I think KT underwhelmed at times, absolutely.  I also know he was injured for most of 2021 season.  He had 7 sacks, the rest of the DL combined had 8.5 sacks.  I'm still on the fence of whether he is worth a top 5 pick, but I know he will be in the NFL longer than Dion Jordan.

I know it was never KTs plan to play more than 3 years at college but just think of what he could do in Lanning's defense? 

A year in Lanning's defense makes him basically a guaranteed No. 1 pick, unless there is a big time quarterback, at the very least an easy No. 2 no questions asked. 

KT strikes me as a well-rounded, curious intellectual kid who is living a "life examined" as Socrates suggested.

He may not be a singular focus, "football is life" guy. 

Doesn't mean he won't be successful in the NFL. He may change focus once he receives appropriate remuneration and be "all-in" like Damian Lillard, regardless of franchise success or history.

I also understand why he is media scrutinized the way he is.

He didn't do himself favors when he tried to elevate himself by putting down Alabama. I think this is his character flaw which has a few questioning his work ethic and attitude. It is ok to think highly of yourself, but putting down others to bring yourself up isn't a good thing. 

If he had one this at the expense of the dawgs up north I would defend him to the ends of the earth, but attacking Alabama and half the NFL wasn't a smart move. Little things like that add up or begin to chip away at your character.

• Salute 1