30Duck

Couple Awarded $5 Million Verdict After Property Hit By 600 Golf Balls

There is money in golf!

AAWAfbH.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=
WWW.MSN.COM

A Massachusetts couple won a verdict worth nearly $5 million from a local country club after suffering from a years-long, “continuous...

$5M without me being a member? Hard to believe. If I played ball on this track they would gotten $10M!

It takes a lot of skill to learn how to bounce a ball off a roof top and back to the fairway.

Incoming!

• Haha 6

Buying a home along a golf course, means you will have golf balls in your yard.  I don't think they should get 4.93 mil.  However, the golf course should put up netting to protect the home.  600+ balls is a bit excessive.  I'm not sure what type of penalty you can give players for hitting into their property.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, Tandaian said:

Buying a home along a golf course, means you will have golf balls in your yard.  I don't think they should get 4.93 mil.  However, the golf course should put up netting to protect the home.  600+ balls is a bit excessive.  I'm not sure what type of penalty you can give players for hitting into their property.  

Penalty? Buy a pit bull and keep him in the backyard?

• Thumbs Up 1

Next we will see compensation for those who buy houses next to the railroad tracks, because of the noise. If you can get an unethical enough lawyer, not the hard part, and a stupid jury, you can win any case in this day and age.

I am thinking about suing the guy who sold me these aspen in my yard. I had no idea the leaves fell off in the fall. Could someone forward me the contact info of this couples lawyer, I have a slam dunk case!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

With 4.93 million maybe they can afford to splurge (spend the extra 100k) and buy the house behind the tee box next time.

• Applause 1

On 4/27/2022 at 12:33 PM, Tandaian said:

I'm not sure what type of penalty you can give players for hitting into their property. 

The player is going to have to take stroke-and-distance relief by adding one penalty stroke. 

If the shot was from the t-box, the player will be playing the third shot from the tee.  

If the shot was from the fairway, the player will get a one club length drop (no closer to the hole) from where the errant shot was played.  Again, stoke-and-distance penalty rules apply. 

The offending player will probably down another beer at the conclusion of the hole, and begin preparation for another lost ball on the ensuing hole.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/27/2022 at 11:14 AM, Jester said:

The offending player will probably down another beer at the conclusion of the hole, and begin preparation for another lost ball on the ensuing hole.  

I think this goes without saying.... at least it does in my cart!

• Thumbs Up 1

I lived on a golf course for years in Phoenix.  I got balls in the yard.  It's part of what you get.  You don't want balls in the yard, don't live on a golf course.  It's not like they built it there while I wasn't looking...

• Haha 3
  • Applause 2

So they buy the house for $750,000 and get a 667% return on investment?  Not bad!  I think I might go look for a house on a golf course.  

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2022 at 10:58 AM, Haywarduck said:

Next we will see compensation for those who buy houses next to the railroad tracks, because of the noise.

You joke, but there is something very strange happening in Eugene lately. I suppose nothing can be determined "odd" in Eugene, but the Whiteaker Neighborhood Alliance/Association has been protesting to the City the past few years concerning the new "Quiet Zone" train track installations Union Pacific is paying for in the inner Eugene core (where Whiteaker is loacated). It turns out that the Whiteaker Neighborhood Alliance is arguing that the $10M noise-reducing installations will increase the value of the homes in the area, and thus "make Eugene's housing crisis worse." 

Golf balls = bad. No train noise = bad. I guess you can't ever win! 

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1

I mean there definitely are cases where you didn't know something may happen, or were deceived, and should be compensated, but ignorance should seldom, if ever, be an excuse which earns you $5 million.

A friend bought a house on a ski hill, thought they were right on the ski run, fronting it. They were told they had ski-in, ski-out access from the house, seemed obvious. They didn't check into what that actually meant. It meant there was going to be a trail to the run. Somebody built a ginormous house in front of their house. There was definitely a bit of deception as I was there when they bought it, and the massive house was no where to be seen, nor any markings.

They tried to sue, but ignorance wasn't a defense. These people had too much money, was a lesson well learned. Sounds like they should have just had a better lawyer and a dumber jury.

• Wow 1

Guest Axel

The poor couple (well, not anymore) in this thread have endured a life of quiet desperation, living in the shadow of that fancy-schmancy country club whose inept golfers have blistered their home with more than 650 errant golf balls for years and years.

As a public service, we set out to learn the identities of these dangerous duffers and you’ll be as surprised as we were to learn

The Top 10 Horrendous Golfers Responsible for that $5-Million Legal Verdict

10.  The entire Washington Huskies golf team (yes, both the men and the women, they’re all equally uncoordinated and degenerate)

9.  O.J.

8.  Traveler (no, he doesn’t golf, but he did a big one right on those nice people’s lawn)

7.  Happy Gilmore

6.  Not Tiger, unless you don’t like Tiger, then yes, it was Tiger

5.  Lincoln Riley (see, Cowherd, your boy’s not so perfect now, is he?)

4.  The guy who blew that big lead in that big golf tournament wearing those funny pants, yeah, that guy

3.  Benny the Beaver (don’t go asking for evidence, it’s true because we say so)

2.  Not anyone who has ever been associated with the University of Oregon in even the most remote way

1.  Boon and Otter from Delta House

I also hold anyone that had anything to do with "Caddyshack" in contempt!

On 4/28/2022 at 2:41 PM, Axel said:

9.  O.J.

He's improved. He had time to work on his game in the can.

I played behind OJ once upon a time at Rivera. He made Judge Smails game look honest. Never seen a guy hit a better foot wedge.

On 4/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, 30Duck said:

I also hold anyone that had anything to do with "Caddyshack" in contempt!

Huh! GREAT MOVIE!

Are you upset because you've been a caddy all your life?

A Harold Ramus screen play gem. 

'We have a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you.'

You know I'm KIDDING! 'FORE, I should have yelled 2?'

On 4/28/2022 at 1:41 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Huh! GREAT MOVIE!

Unfortunately, the XO and his pals on the USS Nimitz thought so too, and if you had seen it as many times as I had to, with no chance of escape! !!!  Give me "Stripes" "Groundhog Day"