30Duck

Is 8.5 O/U Wins for Oregon an Obvious Diss?

That's the prediction Fentress gave on "Talkin 'Ducks". It seems low to me, but he explained that he saw Georgia, Utah, BYU and UCLA as probable L's. I can't call those crazy, though the only one of them that I don't have Oregon at least 60/40 winning is Georgia. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1

um, why on earth would ucla at autzen be a “probable” loss?? i do call that crazy. 

i also think byu at autzen is not a probable loss. 

yes, i think it’s an obvious diss. but i always prefer to be underestimated vs overestimated. 

When Beavus speaks, ignore him.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1

Didn’t Oregon beat UCLA in Pasadena last year?   Better team this year and better coach IMHO.  DTR is just a slightly better version of AB but with lot’s of LA hype.  Plays great against weaker teams but not the better defenses.  Not a probable loss although it will take a good effort to beat them.  -byu is surely capable of beating Oregon but on paper not a probable loss at home - but will take a good game to get the win.

GA is a probable loss and Utah is a toss up for me without having seen the new Ducks play a real game.  So stretch it to two “probable” losses, and drop another game as often happens and you are at 9-3.   I hate it that so many “experts” are dissing the Ducks and giving them the chance to use the underdog, everyone is against us card - that is the Utes mantra!  Perfect for a new coach to have help managing expectations and a great motivational tool.

• Thanks 1

I never pay attention to this pre-season silliness. It's just a number plucked from thin air; in the absence of seeing any of these teams play, it's nonsensical chatter. We'll see come fall what kind of Ducks team we have.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel

I believe that a more reasonable over/under for the Ducks is 10. My intern Scoop disagrees. He puts his over/under at 13, and he's betting the over. As I type this, he's heading for Vegas with a boatload of cash and coins. Let's all wish him well.

We did an exercise similar to this in Feb. (Yahoo Sports article maybe?) based on game-by-game predictions for the Ducks 2022 season.   

Pretty sure my post was one of the least popular ones as I came away with a regular season record of 8-4.  I’ll hold firm with that with Oregon losing to GA, BYU, Utah, and some other team they have no business losing to. 

All records aside, I also believe that at the conclusion of the season we’ll evaluate the overall team performance and feel more encouraged about this unit moving forward than we did with our thoughts on last season’s ending. 

Let’s face it, last year at times we held it together with spit and glue, and a few of the wins were just not that satisfying.  I think that part starts to change this year.

Sorry, I may be Debbie Downer on the record, but all-in-all we’re going to like where we’re heading. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/27/2022 at 7:47 PM, Goutes18 said:

are dissing the Ducks and giving them the chance to use the underdog, everyone is against us card - that is the Utes mantra!

All apologies Goutes, but y'all have been too good for too long to get to play the under-dog card any longer. Wittingham is a phenomenal coach who does more with less, much the way we used to with Bellotti and Kelly.  In all honesty, the days of you boys down south flying under the radar are probably gone.  Enjoy it, Utah football has arrived...

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My brain says  9-3 as I expect a massive improvement in special teams which will give us 1 extra win to get to 9-3.   My heart says 10-2 with a loss to Georgia and one other team.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm also going 10-2 as this lemon lime kool aid is very tasty this Spring. Hopefully I won't be adding too much vodka to it this Fall.

• Haha 2

No, not a diss. If you predict 9 or more wins find this line and bet it. 

I think 8.5 is essentially a balance the books line? I think looking at the schedule that 8.5 is certainly a reasonable line. 

On 4/28/2022 at 12:47 AM, Badwater said:

I never pay attention to this pre-season silliness. It's just a number plucked from thin air; in the absence of seeing any of these teams play, it's nonsensical chatter. We'll see come fall what kind of Ducks team we have.

The actual futures numbers have millions of dollars wagered on them every year. Like all lines this one is set to balance the books. Between the 8-4 prediction you see above and the 10+ win predictions you see above.

For Sports Books and sports bettors, this is serious stuff.

Lanning is a smart coach that knew exactly what he was getting when he decided to coach the Ducks.......lesser talent and he would not have signed.  

I suspect a playoff slot......11-1 or 12-0. The talent is there.....accept it.......and for the first time since Kelly......the coaching that can get the most from it is also there. 

Just my opinion. 

Predictions are all speculative. Even in the middle of the season, predictions are guesses. Based on the cumulative data, Oregon never should have lost to ASU in 2019. Oregon shouldn't beat Georgia to start the season, but Clemson should have made the Playoffs last season. Nobody had Michigan in the Final Four. Utah destroyed Oregon last season; the games were never in doubt. But how much can you take away from those games and apply to this season? 

On 4/27/2022 at 5:10 PM, Log Haulin said:

When Beavus speaks, ignore him.

Speaking of the rodents, that's a probable loss in my book coz we play in their nest/lodge this year.   If he can put together 1 good game a year, J. Smith will lay it on the Ducks, regardless of the players he got.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1

I don't think it is a diss.  We have a completely new staff, new QB, and a very difficult schedule with Georgia, BYU, and 5 away conference games. 

If I had to bet, I would probably go with the over at 9 wins.   

• Thumbs Up 3

On 4/27/2022 at 4:52 PM, 30Duck said:

That's the prediction Fentress gave on "Talkin 'Ducks". It seems low to me, but he explained that he saw Georgia, Utah, BYU and UCLA as probable L's. I can't call those crazy, though the only one of them that I don't have Oregon at least 60/40 winning is Georgia. 

OH how far the Oregonian has fallen. There ya go another " EXPERT " giving his opinion. The Ducks would have to really suck to only win 8 games. That's not even remotely reasonable. I would say Oregon wins every PAC game and their only loss will be the 1st game of the season. 11-1 is what they should be at the end of the season because the talent is there over any other Pac team and now we actually have in reality coaches who know what Football should be like. You know how many times I've read articles where they talk about mismatch's.

Its gonna be about torturing defenses and that's what your supposed to do not run the ball 60/40 as if your kicking the D lines butt for major gained yardage by your slower than normal RBs. This is gonna be a season like no other Duck fans and I'm telling you I feel it down in my bones that this is finally gonna work out. Go Ducks and Just do it! 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1

On 4/28/2022 at 12:03 PM, fred flintstone said:

Lanning is a smart coach that knew exactly what he was getting when he decided to coach the Ducks.......lesser talent and he would not have signed.  

I suspect a playoff slot......11-1 or 12-0. The talent is there.....accept it.......and for the first time since Kelly......the coaching that can get the most from it is also there. 

Just my opinion. 

I always knew Flintstone was smart!

On 4/28/2022 at 3:03 PM, fred flintstone said:

Just my opinion. 

Fred? THIS is a big, big ask. Have to go at least 12-1 to make the final 4. 

Lanning may well be a smart coach but this is his first go round as a head coach. And it's not like he has the Chipper's 2022 OOC schedule. 

If the first game at UGA is an L, and the Ducks are 15 point underdogs,  it is thin playoff ice the rest of the way. 

I hope you are right but I urge some 2022 patience. 9-3 and a north division title IMO would be an excellent result.

The playoff has been a long time coming for any Pac-12 team.

But, I sure hope that your optimism is realized.

Jon.......why not be optimistic.......I am not trying to lock Lanning into a bad season.....if Oregon goes 10-2......that is a good season. 

I just don't see anyone on their schedule except Georgia that represents a better than even chance of beating them. 

Utah will be at home......and I suspect the offense will be totally different.....and don't under estimate Nix......it's going to be night and day with the skill positions loaded.   

Aside from them....Oregon should be a solid favorite in every game. 

Of course new systems take time to adopt......but the talent difference is appreciable.

Every tougher game is at home.

I also think Tosh is a measurable improvement with defensive coaching. 

Injuries can change things......so all bets off if a few key injuries develop. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/29/2022 at 10:29 AM, fred flintstone said:

Jon.......why not be optimistic.......I am not trying to lock Lanning into a bad season.....if Oregon goes 10-2......that is a good season. 

I just don't see anyone on their schedule except Georgia that represents a better than even chance of beating them. 

Utah will be at home......and I suspect the offense will be totally different.....and don't under estimate Nix......it's going to be night and day with the skill positions loaded.   

Of course new systems take time to adopt......but the talent difference is appreciable.

Why not indeed? NOTHING wrong with being optimistic. I just hope Ducks fans will not be bummed IF this season's team does not reach the Final 4.

Not certain that Oregon will be a solid favorite in every game? By 'solid' I mean more than a 1 score favorite.

On 4/29/2022 at 7:29 AM, fred flintstone said:

So true about injuries.  If either of our starting corners goes down, we are going to have some issues.  We are really thin there. 

USC’s plan of signing all the DBs so nobody else has any is starting to work. 🤣