Mudslide

Five Georgia Defensive Players Go in NFL Draft First Round

Wow!  almost half the first team Georgia defense was taken in the first round of the NFL draft.

McDawg, I know that the quality of the Dawg defense is unknown/suspect for next season.  But how were the backups to these 5 gems that left for the bigs ... Travon Walker (no. 1 overall),  Jordon Davis, Quay Walker, Devonte Wyatt, and Lewis Cine?  That's a huge loss of talent.

• Great post! 1

Not McDawg but the defensive cupboard is well stocked with talent. The lack of experience here almost guarantees a drop off on defense, but Georgia's unit is always very good and will be again this year. I am most concerned about the interior linebacking crew which is very inexperienced. Kirby will probably challenge that group a great deal this summer with one of his catchy slogans like  he used this year, i.e., "You're either elite,...or you're not"!

• Thumbs Up 2

Recruits eyeing Coach Lanning should be attracted to not only "coached a national champion", but, "record five first rounders to NFL" - the most ever.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

If this doesn't say what a championship program is, nothing does. 5 first round picks from the defense are gone from the team, but Georgia is going to be contending for the championship next season. 

• Great post! 1

With five 1st rounders from the D coached by Lanning coupled with three straight top 10 selections by UO, I'd say the five star train has the "green" light to enter the station.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:56 PM, 30Duck said:

If this doesn't say what a championship program is, nothing does. 5 first round picks from the defense are gone from the team, but Georgia is going to be contending for the championship next season. 

CFB - Still about the Jimmies and the Joes. 

On 4/29/2022 at 1:45 PM, Jon Joseph said:

CFB - Still about the Jimmies and the Joes. 

And a few Jon's.

On 4/29/2022 at 3:14 PM, Notalot said:

And a few Jon's.

Very few!

It could have been 6. Nakobe's, Georgia All American, Butkus Award winner, did not go in the 1st Round. 

image.jpeg.37e41a55922da6694f7118ee568b9694.jpeg

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2022 at 2:40 PM, 30Duck said:

It could have been 6. Nakobe's, Georgia All American, Butkus Award winner, did not go in the 1st Round. 

image.jpeg.37e41a55922da6694f7118ee568b9694.jpeg

That's some Soul Train there. Should have gone #1 for that right there. Well done Mr Nakobe. 

Edited by Log Haulin
  • Applause 1

The fact that DL won a natty, governed a defense that was the best in 30yr and had 5 of the men he recruited and taught get selected in the 1st round of the draft and now has more in subsequent rounds. Who wouldn't want to come to play for Oregon. Who?????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2022 at 4:09 PM, Duck 1972 said:

The fact that DL won a natty, governed a defense that was the best in 30yr and had 5 of the men he recruited and taught get selected in the 1st round of the draft and now has more in subsequent rounds. Who wouldn't want to come to play for Oregon. Who?????

I would not be surprised to see Cyrus Moss showing up via the portal next year.

My local NFL team, the Philadelphia Eagles got 2 of Dan Lanning's players, Jordan Davis in first round and Nakobe Dean in the third round. Best of all, we will get to see KT twice a year! Can't wait to see these guys play!

Spin by some USC fans down here is that Lanning coaching these 5 is a negative. Says he did not recruit them and anybody could have won with that kind of talent! LOL ... now I have heard it all.

• Haha 1

Until USC gets out of the Coffin they have been in they should probably 🤐🤐🤐

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:34 AM, LADuck said:

"Says he did not recruit them"

I don't have a bone in the Oregon/USC fight but that USC fan is just plain wrong.  Coach Lanning had an impact on all defensive recruiting especially the linebackers.  He stacked so many great OLB/Edge prospects UGA could not keep them all.  

Brenton Cox left and now starts for florida, Jermaine Johnson left for Florida State and was just taken in the first round.  They left UGA because UGA had Azeez Ojulari who went in the second round last year, and Adam Anderson was starting this year.  Adam was kicked off the team for legal reasons but was projected to be a 1st round player, he was the best pass rusher on the defense this year.  UGA still has Nolan Smith, the #1 overall rated recruit from the class of 2019. 

"and anybody could have won with that kind of talent!"
Maybe there is some truth to this but so what?  In college recruiting is the most important part of the job, and Lanning was great at it.

He missed some, we went after MJ Sherman (good but not great) and because of that was late in recruiting a kid who grew up a Georgia fan, some kid named Will

Anderson who ended up at alabama.  Heck if UGA had Will Anderson and Jermaine Johnson on their defense last year they would have been pretty good. 😉

• Great post! 1

On 4/30/2022 at 7:34 AM, LADuck said:

Spin by some USC fans down here is that Lanning coaching these 5 is a negative. Says he did not recruit them and anybody could have won with that kind of talent! LOL ... now I have heard it all.

Wow. Talk about not looking in the mirror!  But wait...their coaches did NOT make use of all the Trojan talent in the past 20 years...

Talk about blinders!  😎

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

USC keeps falling in my respectometer. Washington is safe at the bottom but ever since 17 Bathrooms took over as Coach the Trojans have been plunging.

On 4/30/2022 at 1:17 PM, 30Duck said:

USC keeps falling in my respectometer. Washington is safe at the bottom but ever since 17 Bathrooms took over as Coach the Trojans have been plunging.

SC fans are shooting their mouths off which as Charles noted above is hypocritical to say the least.

However, with recently adding LB Gentry out of ASU, IF the rumor is true and SC gets Pitt's Addison before Monday the Trojans combined (recruiting and transfer) ranking for 2022 will likely move SC into the top 5? 

On 4/30/2022 at 10:23 AM, Jon Joseph said:

However, with recently adding LB Gentry out of ASU, IF the rumor is true and SC gets Pitt's Addison before Monday the Trojans combined (recruiting and transfer) ranking for 2022 will likely move SC into the top 5? 

It could very well do that. But as you noted about Oregon doing so in a different thread, class is when you Just Do It, but don't make noise about it. Ever since Riley took over SC has been hooked up to a sound system that Metalica would envy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The louder they are as they rise....the louder the "THUD" when we beat them.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Holy smokes.  Almost the entire 1st team Georgia defense went in the draft...EIGHT players drafted.  And 15 Georgia players were drafted overall.  That's an incredible record.  Good for them.  And hopefully good for us.  We can hope that the drafted players' replacements will have a few first-game-starter hiccups on Sept. 3.