Charles Fischer

Be Honest: Do you Feel Sorry for Wright, McKinley and Williams?

I will admit to being surprised that Verone McKinley was not drafted...but obviously EVERY NFL team did not rank him very highly.  So wasn't this obvious to those in counsel with him?  Or all "yes" men? We could have used him at safety this year, and the Lanning coaches could have helped him?

As for Mykael Wright and Devon Williams...it was obvious as heck to us in Greybeard age...with all the players we have watched--they were not ready.

Although...in Devon Williams case--he will never be ready.  To much inconsistency, and I love the WR room at Oregon now by contrast.

Verone McKinley pick_Craig Strobeck.jpg

As for CJ Verdell...for him I am sorry. I would agree he has done all he can at Oregon, but an NIL contract might have paid more than a free agent contract?

CJ Verdell scores_Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Thanks for the memories CJ...

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I'm copying my response from a similar thread as I feel it applies even better to this one.

Receivers leaving early with hardly any stats is ridiculous. So is D players leaving early when UO was nearly dead last in third down stops in the country along with many other bad numbers. KT had the national hype but I think the others may have had friend and family hype which is not the same thing.

One year with the Lanning staff would have help everybody.

Live and learn.

• Thumbs Up 5

McKinley? I don't get it. I think he will be a solid pro for a decade?

I note that Kiper among others was very surprised he did not go at least in the 4th round? Has to be speed issues?

The guy is a flat out baller.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mykael Wright is the "anyone coulda told ya so" person here. How someone could listen to their agent and go early when you are no where near Jevon Holland is head shaking. 

I don’t feel sorry for them. Misjudging their value on draft day might end their NFL dreams. While it may be a display of poor decision making, it is certainly not life threatening. 

It might be good for them to speak candidly to their teammates that have similar aspirations about their experience with the draft. Not everybody gets handed the golden ticket and they must be prepared for that outcome. 

• Like 1

I think obviously a lot of times it has to be bad advice.

That said, I sometime wonder if some guys are just ready to take their shot, and if it doesn't work, ready to get on with the next step of their lives?

Not everyone is gonna like school the same; and, I would imagine some people get to the point they are happy with their "college experience" and don't always want to sign up for another year of the same experience.

Maybe they feel like they have gotten what they want to out of college ball, and mostly feel ready to take that NFL shot (even if it is as an URFA). Some may even feel another year isn't likely to greatly improve their chances.

Not saying I would agree, just it must happen.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 3

At this point, it looks like every one of them except Wright will get a chance to prove their worth and at least make a practice squad. So much can happen and not all of it good when taking the chance to play one more year in college. I respect the decisions these young men made and wish them nothing but the best.

Feel sorry? No.

The problem is an ancient one.  People think they are worth more than they are.  Also, people don't understand statistics.  A low percentage of athletes are professionals, yet each thinks they are pro worthy.  Especially if they are making plays at a P5 school.

In the case of these athletes, they have been feted and tweeted and tik tok'ed for years based on click-bait hype that makes money for themselves and their entourage from a young age.  The ones who sharpen the saw, water the bamboo, or whatever metaphor you like, can make it.  But many get distracted and lose focus or, believe the hype and light the cigar too early or, simply don't measure up against the competition or, a thousand other things.

Life isn't fair.  But, we all need someone to sell us insurance, or open another burger franchise. And, at least they had the social media heyday that few others ever get.  

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 1:19 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Feel sorry? No.

The problem is an ancient one.  People think they are worth more than they are.  Also, people don't understand statistics.  A low percentage of athletes are professionals, yet each thinks they are pro worthy.  Especially if they are making plays at a P5 school.

In the case of these athletes, they have been feted and tweeted and tik tok'ed for years based on click-bait hype that makes money for themselves and their entourage from a young age.  The ones who sharpen the saw, water the bamboo, or whatever metaphor you like, can make it.  But many get distracted and lose focus or, believe the hype and light the cigar too early or, simply don't measure up against the competition or, a thousand other things.

Life isn't fair.  But, we all need someone to sell us insurance, or open another burger franchise. And, at least they had the social media heyday that few others ever get.  

Agree with this. I wasn't expecting any of our Ducks to get drafted except KT and McKinley. And that McKinley wasn't picked didn't surprise me either. After watching last seasons effort expectations were low. You can only blame the coach for so much...

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel sorry for our program. We lost 3 of our last 4 games and these guys were a part of that failure. They had an opportunity to be coach by Lanning and they didn't take it. 

I feel sorry for the student athletes who don't have opportunities not those who make choices which seem to not work out. Failure is just the stepping stones to success, unless you stand on that failure too long, then the stepping stones sink!

I wish each of these guys the best with the choice they made, but no sorrow coming from me. They made a choice, it is now time to make the best of it. They may want to get use to this process, as life if full of it.

McKinley and Wright a bit... though I don't know if sorry is the right word. More disappointed for them that they didn't get drafted.

As for Williams... not in the slightest. He was held off the field multiple games this last season because of not following team rules by the sound of it and not giving it his all in practice. He has talent but he can't seem to get out of his own way.

I think all needed another year of college ball to be honest.

Though I guess McKinley was Oregon's best shot at being drafted besides KT.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel sorry for them the same way I feel sorry for a teenage girl with an unplanned pregnancy...or a kid who tries drugs...or 21-year-old who quits a good job because he's mad at his boss.  Yes, all made stupid decisions.  Yes, all have no one to blame but themselves.

And yes, I made some really stupid decisions at 18 - 22 years old.  Decisions which, had things gone too far, could have had life-long consequences for me.  I'm guessing most of us can say the same thing.  

So I feel sorry that life is teaching them some hard lessons and their decisions, for the most part, don't look so good now.  Hopefully part of the lesson is that if you make a mistake, man up, don't put the blame on others, accept the consequences, learn from it, and move on.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, they all got a contract and a chance to make a team. Good for them. They also all had to know that each needed to make improvements. So now it's really up to each of them.

Sometimes it's just too hard to wait for that thing you want so badly.

I wish them well.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think 73 underclassmen applied for this years draft not to mention all the older and more mature kids that got more experience because of Covid setback. Not a good year to gamble. After the covid setback washes thru which I think will be within 2 years, very confusing for sure, these kids might have a better opportunity to move up to the next level.

I dont see the big worry here-these kids have the opportunity to make their teams with a $600+ grand salary. Its all up to them to go out and get it.

• Thumbs Up 1

CJ just got hurt to many times. 

Lots of things to be more concerned about in the world than who makes an NFL roster but definitely wish them the best. Sure it is difficult to have such high expectations and then not even get drafted.

I think a lot of these kids get artificially pumped up by local "web journalists" that interview them after practice and build them up beyond their talent levels. Agree with the previous comment made that they would have benefited with one more year and possibly better coaching. 

McKinley was ranked 120 from Kiper and around the same with McShay.  Both obviously aren't perfect, but being ranked 120 means you should be drafted.  McKinley will get URFA contract and stick with a team for a long time.  The others may get a contract and be in the league 1 or 2 seasons, but be out after that.

Royce Freeman our best recent "NFL" RB is on a 1 year contract with his 3rd NFL teams since going to the NFL.  I didn't think Royce was going to be special, but I thought he would have a solid 10 year career.  Playing in the NFL is hard.  As other have said, maybe all these guys were done with the college experience.

Johnny Johnson has signed with Houston Texans, and George Moore signed with Green Bay Packers. Congrats to both, but especially GM--he hung in there for a long time!

On 5/1/2022 at 4:19 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

People think they are worth more than they are.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for?"

Great post, thanks. Hard not to believe when an agent is telling you how great you are? 

I wonder if some of these undrafted players were 'lost' in the massive coaching change without an on-field mentor there to give them sage advice?

Figure Sewell and Dorlus are sure things next season. Where will the highly touted OL guys Mario brought in go?

Lots of quality guys from the Pac-12 footprint will be high draft picks next season. Unfortunately, most don't play in the Pac-12.

On 5/2/2022 at 8:45 AM, Jon Joseph said:

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp or what's a heaven for?"

Great post, thanks. Hard not to believe when an agent is telling you how great you are? 

True. And I think social media has enhanced the delusion. Because the narrative now starts in early high school, with scouts, recruiters, and handlers all looking to be on the kid early to buttress their bona fides or cement themselves as one of the entourage.

I that sense, I do feel sorry for anyone caught up in the hype tornado.  Imagine the type of grounding it would require to navigate that world.  I like DL's "growth mindset" because it implies there is work to be done.  Like the "de-recruiting" process I have heard inklings about as well.  

Coach DL is highly emotionally intelligent it seems to me.  Especially compared to Mari's (no O) tough guy persona which didn't seem to emphasize development much.  His approach seemed to be one of providing an opportunity (a schollie) to kids ranked highly by agencies and "scouts" and then leaving it up to them to maximize their potential without any support, encouragement, or tweaking of schemes to take advantage of team and individual strengths.

• Thumbs Up 1