Coach Eric Boles

Oregon Lands RB from Minnesota in Transfer Portal

The Ducks have landed Minnesota transfer RB, Mar’Keise Irving. It’s amazing that the two positions that were thin when the new staff arrived, RB and WR, now seem to be pretty loaded. 

10676446.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's running back room added another player on Sunday morning when Minnesota running back Mar'Keise Irving...

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

His Minnesota video looks like he can run a bit and with good determination.  It appears that the Ducks have added a good one. 

I think ... (my wife always suggests I shouldn't do that) ... we have 87 scholarships now.  So 2 to depart still?

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am surprised, as I did not think that the running back position was one of need for a transfer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2022 at 4:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am surprised, as I did not think that the running back position was one of need for a transfer.

He’ll give us five scholarship backs now, so I believe we sit at the same number as last year now. 

On 5/1/2022 at 4:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

And thanks for adding the article!

On 5/1/2022 at 1:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

From a numbers stand point I agree... but in terms of body type this is an insurance measure more than anything else. Right now Oregon has on scholarship...

Byron Cardwell, Sean Dollars and Noah Whittington

Dollars and Whittington are smaller backs that thrive in space but I don't think either is really considered an every down back and neither is a "thumper" either. Cardwell is a bigger back who fits more of the every down bigger back.

So with that said right now Oregon is really one good injury away at runningback from having the season put in jeopardy. Adding another back means there is some depth.

On 5/1/2022 at 5:06 PM, David Marsh said:

From a numbers stand point I agree... but in terms of body type this is an insurance measure more than anything else. Right now Oregon has on scholarship...

Byron Cardwell, Sean Dollars and Noah Whittington

Dollars and Whittington are smaller backs that thrive in space but I don't think either is really considered an every down back and neither is a "thumper" either. Cardwell is a bigger back who fits more of the every down bigger back.

So with that said right now Oregon is really one good injury away at runningback from having the season put in jeopardy. Adding another back means there is some depth.

We’ll also have Jordan James on scholarship. And I’m cool with five. That seems around the number we typically keep.

On 5/1/2022 at 4:36 PM, Mudslide said:

His Minnesota video looks like he can run a bit and with good determination.  It appears that the Ducks have added a good one. 

I think ... (my wife always suggests I shouldn't do that) ... we have 87 scholarships now.  So 2 to depart still?

I think you’re correct there. Will probably be seeing some departures announced that coaches had already been made aware of. 

There will be some roster churn until Fall Camp is over.  Between the new staff, late enrollees, NIL and transfer portal....and, God forbid, injuries.....it's likely to be sizeable.  I'd put the over/under at 7.

Watching his junior season highlights (high school), it looks like he doesn't carry the ball "high 'n tight" like he should, yet he didn't have any fumbles in 2021. 🧐🤔🤞

As to a need at RB, I'm in the camp which believes DL is just fostering as much competition at each position as possible. This kid was a 4*, so he's bound to elevate the room. Great move imo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Next fall the running back room will certainly be young, four sophomores (one redshirt) and a true freshman.  Didn't Richard Young #1 RB prospect visit this weekend?

On 5/1/2022 at 6:11 PM, Krsmqn said:

Watching his junior season highlights (high school), it looks like he doesn't carry the ball "high 'n tight" like he should, yet he didn't have any fumbles in 2021. 🧐🤔🤞

As to a need at RB, I'm in the camp which believes DL is just fostering as much competition at each position as possible. This kid was a 4*, so he's bound to elevate the room. Great move imo. 

LeSean McCoy carried it in a similar fashion! It just seems to work for some guys!

Edited by Coach Eric Boles
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interesting bit from when Irving entered the portal from Mike Farrell Sports

Where will Irving land? Irving will likely be a popular name in the portal due to his impressive production as a freshman. Illinois will have to take a look at Irving as that’s his home state and he is dynamic at catching the ball out of the backfield and would add a playmaker to the offense.

• Thumbs Up 2

Fantastic catch McDuck, as he is such a perfect fit for us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

That is a lot of competition for one ball. It does seem our RB coach takes under appreciated guys, and turns them into NFL talent. Student athletes seem to be buying into what he is selling, I like it. Now we need to see the production, onward!

I’m curious as to his motivation for entering the portal. He had a successful freshman year with plenty of playing time. I don’t see where it is addressed in any of the articles I’ve read. 

As always, depth and numbers are a complex issue.  No significant injuries during the season?  This is probably too many RBs for everyone to be happy, particularly since they're mostly young and I'm sure all came to Eugene with the expectation of some playing time.

Two guys go down for significant stretches of the season (which is not at all unrealistic)?  This may not be enough RBs.

Tough balancing act...

It is my understanding that when the NCAA granted a “free” year of eligibility they also allow an additional 10 scholarships. The return to 85 crunch may come this fall or be delayed. I could be wrong,,it happens often. 

Five young running backs?

How many in the portal next winter?  Two or three are going to be unhappy…

How many come to Oregon next year to replace them KNOWING he is “the-man?”

The new reality…

Mr. FishDuck