Jester

Innocence Lost Due to NIL and the Portal

I had an epiphany a couple of nights ago while takin’ the pup for a walk.  I finally know why NIL, the transfer portal, and other recent goings-on have really gotten under my skin. 

I thought it was that my moral compass wouldn’t permit me to accept the bidding war$ that are taking place for student athletes, and I far too often would feel almost "offended" that athletes would entertain such a thing as a “transfer portal” instead of honoring a commitment they made to a university.

News of a 5* player being plucked from the portal and of perspective signees being offered handsome sums of cash would just make my stomach churn.  This was the “old-head” in me basically saying, “What’s happening, am I the only one that thinks this whole thing is going to hell in a handbasket!?”  I think worldwide the past few years have been quite tumultuous, and I feared a similar turmoil was creeping into the sanctity of my sports world.  Yes, I know, I’m admittedly being a bit of a drama queen, but regardless of what’s happening around us I felt I could always count on sports.  And now it’s changing.

So, back to my epiphany.  I realized my downward spiraling view of college athletics was essentially me experiencing the loss of my sports innocence.  Please, feel free to laugh and to reach-out to Charles and ask for a rule preventing those with mental instabilities (I haven’t been clinically diagnosed…yet) from posting.  Just here me out.

When we had snow on the ground at Christmas, my dad used to fake hoof prints in the snow, chew up carrots and spit them on the ground, and place rabbit droppings around the hoof prints to simulate deer droppings.  It was quite an elaborate scene created by a father that undoubtedly loved his children.  As most of these stories go, I eventually caught on to dear old Dad and worked-up the nerve to confront my larger-than-life hero.  The jig was up.  Dad spilled the beans on more than just his Christmas ruse.  I had an easier time coming to grips with knowing there was no Santa Claus (Didn’t ruin that for anyone, did I?) than understanding lies that are told out of love.  Moving on from these childish beliefs was my earliest recognition of innocence lost. 

This parallels the views I wanted to hold onto in terms of college sports.  I would prefer to think that when players aligned themselves with an institute of higher learning they would essentially bleed school colors until they graduate (and beyond) or move on to a professional league.  I wanted to believe they play strictly for the love of a game totally void of monetary incentives.  I used to accept that behind the curtain money would occasionally change hands but figured that was the exception, not the rule. Now the curtain has not only been pulled back, but it has been shredded by a brigade of ferrule cats and the image of today’s college landscape doesn’t resemble the one that I hold so dearly.  Hence…the loss of my sports innocence. 

Here's the next logical step.  Just as I moved-on from my own personal Christmas story, it’s time accept the evolution of college athletics because like it or not, it’s inevitable.  Charles has preached this on multiple occasions and now I sense where he’s coming from.  Jon Joseph has taken the opportunity to put his big ol’ brain to work and generate comprehensive posts on “where” this whole thing may lead us.  Many others have also offered their insightful takes on what the future of college sports may look like.  Congrats to those of you who have rolled with the punches and remember the past with reverence but also look forward to future.

Hey, today’s game (pick the sport, doesn’t matter) is not perfect and isn’t what it used to be, but it’s still the game we love and just can’t wait to watch! 

To those of you who hung in there to the end of my own therapy session (that I just made public), I’ll buy you a beer if you’re brave enough to hook-up with me at a game. 

• Great post! 5
  • Thumbs Up 4

Jester, I would still owe you an Oregon craft beer IPA, because of your entertaining posts!

A long way to go on this… But I think we have three good years before our Oregon football world changes. I am just going to soak it all up in the meantime…

Mr. FishDuck

Wow, Jester, your post holds so many truths. I always liked college sports because it was "innocent."

The corruptive influences of money, free agency, agents, etc... hadn't reared its ugly head to the surface. The playing field felt "cleaner."

I realized this past season "innocence" is no more. Like it or not, college sports has become a league, somewhat like a lower NFL.

It is hard to adapt to the new reality as new tidbits, like the Addison debacle, just churns up my blood pressure.

Perhaps when the NCAA actually comes out with new guidelines, things will improve. I'm not sure that some colleges will survive with their sports teams

in this chaotic environment.

I suppose worrying isn't going to change anything. So, as Charles suggests, now is the time to enjoy Our Beloved Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think I like the new model better than the most recent one where everybody makes money except the guys actually playing the game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Bleeding green takes on a new meaning with the money that is currently being paid to help entice athletes to commit. 

Kind of feels like the house we grew up in has been torn down and we are being forced to return to a place that is much less appealing. 

I have no problem with athletes receiving money. They probably should have allowed a more measured approach long ago. However, with the numbers currently being thrown at some athletes, we will be confronted with problems that we haven’t even thought of yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There are already a limited number of D1 teams from the 125 or whatever the number is that really have any shot of competing for a national championship. The NIL money will just reduce that number by even more as if the dollars are not available you just won't be able to play with the big boys.

I am happy that Oregon will be able to compete in this model and it will be interesting to see how the various leagues are reformatted.

Agree there are many issues with this new system but the old one took advantage of the kids to a much higher degree. The US Department of Education says college sports are valued at more than $14 Billion and they had free labor! Now that just wasn't right. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/1/2022 at 8:16 PM, LADuck said:

they had free labor! Now that just wasn't right. 

That would be true if all the money went to the university, but the current model is the ultimate in sports "Profit-Sharing" as the profits pay for 17 other sports at Oregon. Baseball, Softball, Track, Soccer....all are funded this way.

I think it is unfair to label this situation of where football athletes are being taken advantage of...when the profits are not going to bureaucrats or an institution, but for far more athletes getting a college education.

And they know the deal going in...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think they are being taken advantage of in the current system. Coaches make millions while players don't make anything. Yes money goes to students getting an education (but think of the real cost of letting someone sit in a class versus what they say that tuition is worth on paper). 

A lot of other money is being spread around. Heck, the conditioning coach at Ohio State made $800,000. Not to mention all of the network broadcasters like Kirk Herbstreit (making $2,000,000 a year). Agree the players did know the deal going in and this one will be a lot more profitable for them. 

I would have to find the article from our archives, but a guest writer (a year ago) was able to show how the total cost of the value of playing at Oregon was worth nearly $2 million over his lifetime in the current system.

And it is not enough?

And we will disagree, and that’s fine.

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/1/2022 at 9:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would have to find the article from our archives, but a guest writer (a year ago) was able to show how the total cost of the value of playing at Oregon was worth nearly $2 million over his lifetime in the current system.

And it is not enough?

I think it is/was difficult for many to swallow the perception of the compensation package, especially with all the other NCAA rules surrounding money to student athletes.... couldn't sell their autographs, couldn't make any use of their NIL to promote themselves on their own, and all the other rules involved.

I do think that the College education and the full ride they received is an incredibly good deal but the flip side of that too is that how many student athletes could truly pursue their desired majors? I know as just a regular student that I had plenty of work to do just to keep up with classes and that wasn't with the student athlete additional workload.

The other side of things too is that student athletes today (I'm still using the term even though it is up for debate) have a COMPLETELY different set of expectations and sports work load than student athletes even ten years ago. No only are there the team meetings and practices, that are regulated by NCAA rules and there is a set cap on the number of hours per week athletes can engage in and that really makes up the season itself... but then there are the vast amount of hours that are more "optional". The voluntary workouts, the off-season workouts, the player led practices, film study and whatever else you can think of.

It is what it is... and I think we are in the early stages of the great transformation of college sports for better or worse. It has been trending this way for some time now as the workload and expectations of student athletes and coaches have changed so have the desires of student athletes.

I don't have any real answers but as we all know this is a complicated problem and I think we can ALL agree that the current state of NIL and the transfer portal is NOT the solution.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think the current system is well thought out either. Just better than players getting zilch. Maybe it will be improved upon but I doubt it.

David brings up a good point about the demands on players going up. My view is yes the coaches want this total commitment to win but the cynical part of me knows that these coaches want this amount of effort because wins equal better paying coaching jobs. 

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and debate. Very enjoyable!

I see this same thing happening in LOTS of areas.  We used to live in a world where certain people or institutions were simply trusted and looked up to - sports stars, film stars, clergy, the military, successful businesspeople, journalists, etc.  

Now we know that some sports stars were awful role models (e.g. Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth), many film stars were awful people in general, some clergy were using their power to destroy children's lives, the military was troubled with racism and sexism, many successful businesspeople were bending or simply breaking the law to enrich themselves, many journalists were happily reporting slanted news, etc.

Innocence destroyed - but at the same time, light began to shine on some practices that simply shouldn't be.

College sports is no different.  Yes, we've lost our innocence, and the benefits of the current model for all parties are questionable.  But how many kids in the "old days" got out of school with no real education, because someone else was taking their tests and doing their homework?  How many were getting money under the table, with "bag men" and "hundred dollar handshakes"?  How many couldn't even afford to eat decently because they had no money and no way to earn it due to asinine NCAA rules?  How many were used up and spit out by universities that had no use for them once their knee was balky or a new coaching staff came in and told them to beat it?  How many were recruited by a certain coach to fit a certain scheme, then that coach left for a bigger contract and they don't fit the scheme of the new staff and have little recourse?

I'm not sure whether we were better off in a world of innocence where we simply didn't know all the problems that were going on, or in a world of lost innocence where we now know some ugly details and some of those problems have been curtailed, but other problems are popping up.

It would help a lot if there were some rules or standards, and I have to assume those will be coming eventually.  When you've got even guys like Saban and Swinney saying this is unsustainable, I'm guessing Congress will get involved sooner or later.

Of course, if there's one institution even less competent than the NCAA...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As they say, the toothpaste is out of the tube, and it's not going back in. The positive, and the same for the Pac-12, is there is new leadership on its way. Now this leadership won't be able to pull back the mess it inherits, but strong leadership with foresight can better guide both forward.

Fortunately our ship is in order, Oregon is well run, from top to bottom. We have an amazing coach, an AD who seems to be up to the task, and an alumni base that is both strong and effective. 

This leads me to my story which is the strength I have gained from just worrying about what I can control and my little world. I don't worry about the big picture stuff. I can't effect change at that level and it is wasted energy. The same can be said for all this NIL and Transfer portal stuff. 

While I ponder, at times the big stuff, I focus on my tube of toothpaste. Right now it is full and nobody is messing with it. The NCAA and the Pac-12 have a mess to clean up. I feel fortunate, as a Duck, we live in a world where not just 9-10 dentists recommend Crest, but 10-10 Duck fans recommend the Ducks and aren't going for any other brand!

• Go Ducks! 1

Lots of good points from people on this topic. Kurt Rambis made me think of how we do tend to ignore the negatives when thinking the past was always better. My Dad and many of his friends were big baseball fans. I am old enough to remember comments about how much better the old timers were like Babe Ruth and Joe DiMaggio compared to players of that time (early 1970's).

My Dad would say "these current players are a bunch of Triple A no talents." In his mind and many others they couldn't compete with what they grew up with and the past was definitely superior. Looking back I never heard one of them say anything regarding how crazy it was that in their era talented black players were not allowed to play in the big leagues. Jackie Robinson didn't debut in the big leagues until 20 years after the famed 1927 Yankees!

I met a really good guy years ago while working part time delivering furniture as a summer job many years ago. His name was Joe Dawkins and he was a RB at USC. He was on the team when OJ joined the Trojans.  Joe told me it was obvious to him that he was the not "the guy" anymore. Joe decided it was best to transfer to Wisconsin.  He became All Big Ten and went on the NFL.

My older brother who was a LA Sheriff says that their admin staff used to do homework for OJ back in the day! Anyway, lots of truth that the past was not always better.

Edited by LADuck

I guess I have a slightly different take. While I enjoyed your innocence lost post, and can definitely relate, I struggle to see 'Innocence' lost. And I will throw in a reply to LADuck as well. 

Innocence lost would be High School sports getting paid IMO. College sports have always been getting paid. Before we go off the rails, I never went to college but am a relatively successful entrepreneur. I simply look at the P/L sheet. It takes a dedicated kid to get a scholarship. Dedicated in the class room, dedicated in the weight room, and dedicated on the field. That investment is rewarded with a 4/5 year 'contract to play sports in exchange for a full ride scholarship. Room and board along with tuition and associated costs for schooling.

Every one of these kids has illusions of grandeur, as they should. Good enough to get a scholarship at a big 5 school is hitting the big time. But, make no mistake, these kids Are Getting Paid with a scholarship. The pain that I see with 'Fans', is that while we bleed green and yellow, its by choice of loyalty to a school. These kids don't necessarily grow up Oregon fans. They grow up having their family being their biggest fan. Their loyalty is getting a scholarship to a Big 5 school, period. If they are so fortunate to achieve this extremely rare goal then their next goal is to get to the NFL and get Paid. Thats not innocence lost.

People don't go to college to acquire $100,000 in debt for no reason. They go to college for the needed education to Excell in their respective vocation so as to get a head start in life financially. College sports is no different. I think what gets lost on most is the disconnect from us fans not liking getting messed with. We hate change. The older we get, the more inclined to being set in our ways. These kids are not going to Oregon because they are loyal to Oregon, they are loyal to themselves and their family. Case in point, Travis Dye. We hope that these kids' loyalty will match our own, and hopefully, after a few years of the college experience, it will. 

To sum up, these kids have been getting paid, so why not let them get a raise with NIL. And, my green colored glasses point of view is uniquely tinted to my values with my loyalty. Loyalty is fostered through years of investment. It doesn't happen overnight. How many retired at the first job they ever held? If you moved on, why? Was it because you found something better in your eyes, something that, you felt would enrich your fledgling family? Why can't these 'Adults' find ways to enrich themselves as well? Why is this innocence lost? They got 'paid' with a scholarship. I would argue that the innocence lost might of well been when kids received scholarships so many decades ago. Again, maybe its been the fan that has had the skewed view all along.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great discussion as usual by all who have posted.

The thread originated quite frankly from a very self-centered point-of-view.  The “innocence lost” was my own.  I can’t speak for anyone else here.  I easily could have labeled this thing “Ignorance Recognized”. 

I guess if there was an intent, it was to get folks who are so against NIL & bristle at the idea of players entering the transfer portal to become more introspective and answer the question, “Why am I so pissed at this?” 

My brief journey was detailed in my original post.  Ultimately, it wasn’t the new playing field it was change and this was a “me” problem. 

You guys are awesome.  Take care y’all.     

I would much rather each athlete be paid a set amount...the same amount.  Hard feelings about the guy getting a million vs the guy getting nothing would be gone, along with some of the other obvious problems. Boosters would have less power to decide who is signed , and frankly, we wouldn't be buying players.  It just feels scummy the way it is now.   Can't fault a kid who has nothing to going to the school that pays the most,  but may not actually be the birds fit for him. 

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1

On 5/1/2022 at 10:44 PM, LADuck said:

I think I like the new model better than the most recent one where everybody makes money except the guys actually playing the game. 

Great point. But the place where the true professionals make money is governed by rules and regulations. Rules and regulations agreed to between the team owners and the players. There is business certainty on how relations between management and players will be conducted. One multi-billionaire cannot simple outspend another to buy the better team.

THIS is what's missing in CFB today. It's missing for any number of reasons not the least of which is the NCAA 'leading' for decades from the rear.

Hopefully, the change to the NCAA Constitution and and the new rules and regulations suggested by the Transition Committee and adopted by the G5/P5 schools, will help to regulate the 'every team for itself' and 'every man for himself' climate that we are witnessing in big time CBB and CFB today?

I think it is inevitable that to have legally sustainable agreements a CFB players union must be able to negotiate with 'management.' The rub? What conferences and teams will represent 'management' when it comes to big time CFB? And how many institutions of higher learning will want to be NFL minor league teams?

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is the article I co-wrote with a source who knew three Pac-12 football program administrators, and had tons of contacts among coaches, players--all through the conference.  He is an attorney, owns a tech company and is a big fan of his Oregon Ducks.  (Alumni)

Check out the value currently to a player who is at Oregon for four years...nearly 2 million dollars, and this is not enough?  They must get more, to where hundreds of athletes lose their chance at a college education?

It is the epitome of the "ME" culture, IMHO.

Players-Entrance-at-USC-in-2019_Eugene-J
FISHDUCK.COM

Do Pac-12 football players really get it? While that may seem to be insulting to them, it is a question that many of us who do the donating and buying of...

• Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/2/2022 at 8:38 AM, Jester said:

My brief journey was detailed in my original post. 

A topic like this is perfect....it is what we are about, as this community likes to ponder the big and little questions and this was a great discussion generated.  Thanks for bringing it up, and do give us what you are pondering more often!

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/2/2022 at 6:36 AM, Haywarduck said:

While I ponder, at times the big stuff, I focus on my tube of toothpaste. Right now it is full and nobody is messing with it.

Amen Duck-Brother, as that is what I am doing as well.  I do not have my head in a hole; I know change is coming, but I am not going to agitate about it until it happens a few years in the future.

For now...soak it all up while I can.  And yes, getting my heart broke by the Baseball team on occasion is part of that joy of having Oregon sports.

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck