Jon Joseph

Good Update Regarding Addison to USC Rumor

5.2-Rewind-1200x628.png
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Everyone is going to love hating USC football in 2022.

I think the author makes an excellent point here regarding the shade thrown at USC while Bama takes top players from Tennessee, Ohio State and Georgia Tech and you hear crickets.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Is it true that any Transfer Portal kids that sign will now have to sit out a year?  I heard the deadline was this past Saturday.

You're right Jon, the author who earned his Bachelor's in journalism from OU (2013-17), was a sports reporter for Okie football for a year and a half, and was a sports editor in the wonderful football mecca of Norman, OK, actually makes a few decent remarks. 

While we nod in agreement with Derek's musings, keep in mind this guy put out a piece a few months back ranking the PAC-12 coaches.  Who do you think he ranked first, and how much do you think he gushed over his boy, LR?  Would you be surprised to know that he listed the following coaches ahead of Dan Lanning (Ranked #6):

#2 - Kyle Whittingham

#3 - David Shaw

#4 - Chip Kelly

#5 - Kalen DeBoer (You f'ing kidding me!)

One could even assume he (Derek) has artwork hanging over his bed that looks something like this:

Riley.png.d322931da8a276e63eec8c8cc92a659b.png

It almost feels as if Derek is being...paid (not directly though) by USC.  Nah...that doesn't happen in the world of journalism, does it?   

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:21 AM, chrisjenn99 said:

Is it true that any Transfer Portal kids that sign will now have to sit out a year?  I heard the deadline was this past Saturday.

Deadline to be eligible in 2022 was officially May 1 with a couple of days extension to complete paper work.

But any player is still free to enter the portal when ever he so desires. Guys who are not starting or walk-ons may decide to enter the portal to get an early jump on being 'drafted' from the portal for the 2023 season?

On 5/3/2022 at 8:29 AM, Jester said:

You're right Jon, the author who earned his Bachelor's in journalism from OU (2013-17), was a sports reporter for Okie football for a year and a half, and was a sports editor in the wonderful football mecca of Norman, OK, actually makes a few decent remarks. 

While we nod in agreement with Derek's musings, keep in mind this guy put out a piece a few months back ranking the PAC-12 coaches.  Who do you think he ranked first, and how much do you think he gushed over his boy, LR?  Would you be surprised to know that he listed the following coaches ahead of Dan Lanning (Ranked #6):

#2 - Kyle Whittingham

#3 - David Shaw

#4 - Chip Kelly

#5 - Kalen DeBoer (You f'ing kidding me!)

One could even assume he (Derek) has artwork hanging over his bed that looks something like this:

Riley.png.d322931da8a276e63eec8c8cc92a659b.png

It almost feels as if Derek is being...paid (not directly though) by USC.  Nah...that doesn't happen in the world of journalism, does it?   

With the addition of LB Gentry from ASU, SC has now moved past Ole Miss to No. 1 in the transfer rankings.  With Gentry, SC has brought in 3 very good LBs including a guy from Bama and a guy from Auburn.

When news is leaked, more like sprayed from a hose about your new mansion, Riley doesn't seem concerned about just keeping his head down and plowing on, like he did at OU. He's in Hollywood now. But, While Carroll was winning championships and Heisman's, he wasn't generating this kind of enmity. Harbaugh asked him, 'what's your problem?'. Riley is more like the villain in WWE. Boo's from everywhere. Most fans across the country liked Chip and the Ducks

On 5/3/2022 at 12:10 PM, 30Duck said:

When news is leaked, more like sprayed from a hose about your new mansion, Riley doesn't seem concerned about just keeping his head down and plowing on, like he did at OU. He's in Hollywood now. But, While Carroll was winning championships and Heisman's, he wasn't generating this kind of enmity. Harbaugh asked him, 'what's your problem?'. Riley is more like the villain in WWE. Boo's from everywhere. Most fans across the country liked Chip and the Ducks

Very good take.

But I believe at the end of the Stanford HUGE upset of SC it was Carroll who asked Harbaugh, 'What's your deal?' This after Harbaugh went for a 2 point conversion late with 40 point dog Stanford in the lead?

Regardless, totally agree that Carroll personally did not draw the negative attention Riley is drawing. 1 reason, Carroll was hired 'off-the-shelf' and not 'stolen away' from a blue blood program.

You are in LA and you make the moves SC has made recently in an attempt to return to CFB blue blood status and you will generate publicity, good and bad.

BTW - Terrific article up on The Athletic by David Ubben that mirrors Charles philosophy regarding all the changes to CFB. This is the way the game today is so sit back, relax and enjoy!

I like it. Good or bad it helps but the Pac-12 on the national radar.

BTW - looking at SC's existing WR group Addison not signing with SC may be better for the Trojans team chemistry?

Edited by Jon Joseph

Guest Axel
On 5/3/2022 at 5:29 AM, Jester said:

Nah...that doesn't happen in the world of journalism, does it?

I have two degrees in journalism and I can state without reservation that ethics do not exist in journalism today.

• Applause 1

My personal favorite PC quote was when he pointed across the field at Belloti,with the triple "F-U!"

To top it off, USC was winning the game...

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0503%2Fr1007661_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Star Pittsburgh wide receiver Jordan Addison is expected to officially appear in the NCAA transfer portal Tuesday afternoon...

I'm not sure of these two ideas from the article:

"A return to Pittsburgh remains a very viable option," the person said Tuesday.

The expectation remains that this will not be a name, image and likeness (NIL) bidding war but rather a way to situate Addison best for the NFL. Seemingly, every powerhouse in the country will be a suitor.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:04 AM, woundedknees said:

My personal favorite PC quote was when he pointed across the field at Belloti,with the triple "F-U!"

To top it off, USC was winning the game...

Mad that Mike Bellotti knew the rules.

• Haha 1

He's officially in the portal

• Great post! 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:14 PM, deschutesduck said:

He's officially in the portal

fiupanthers fiugif GIF by FIU

Not looking good for the Panthers.

• Oh no! 1

Trojans ooze self pity from every pore.  I haven't seen anything like it since the Purple Poodle Billie Joe cashed in his fruit basket.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/3/2022 at 3:10 PM, McDuck said:

Trojans ooze self pity from every pore.  I haven't seen anything like it since the Purple Poodle Billie Joe cashed in his fruit basket.

Epic line...absolutely love it.  Wish I could give more than one reaction-emoji to it!

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/3/2022 at 6:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Epic line...absolutely love it.  Wish I could give more than one reaction-emoji to it!

I disagree with this in general; NOT. But no school got more hosed over by the NCAA than USC and the entire conference, including the Pac-12 network, suffered in the back wash.

WE need a leader of the PAC! For this to happen the Ducks have to stop tripping over webbed feet and play to the level of the roster. USC, an LA team, also has to stop dicking around, win the south and beat Notre Dame.

At UGA? That's a tough wake up call. But if properly prepared and organized there is no reason why this team, if Nix comes through, should not decisively win the north division and have a final 4 shot.

The athletes are there. Will they be ready to show and play to their ability? Including defeating the Trojans in the champ game.

The Ducks and the conference needs 2 studs. Something to get the nation caring about Pac-12 football.

The 2 need to be Oregon and USC and not Utah. It is a sad but oh so true truth. The conference needs a 'player' in LA.

GK will never come forth with this admission. But final 4 contenders Oregon vs SC for a Pac-12 title is a media renegotiation dream.

• Great post! 1

On 5/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The 2 need to be Oregon and USC and not Utah. It is a sad but oh so true truth. The conference needs a 'player' in LA.

Well said, and true.  The nation has heard SO MUCH about what is going on at USC, that as one Georgia fan said to me,..."it could make MUST-SEE TV for the country."  It might be the only Pac-12 game all year that people in the east would watch out of curiosity. 

People will watch Oregon-Georgia, and USC-Notre Dame, but as far as an actual Pac-12 contest?  Oregon-USC will get the most eyeballs.  The better both teams are--the better.  I can hear the commercial trailers promoting it..."the high-flying offense of Lincoln Riley at USC versus the newly powerful Dan Lanning defense at Oregon!"

Now in reality--DC Alex Grinch at USC is really good, and I think OC Kenny Dillingham is going to have a high-flying offense as well, but for a game-selling soundbite, that works.

Kenjon Barner 2012 KC.jpg

That's a full stadium in the background, and we can have those epic games again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/3/2022 at 4:59 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But no school got more hosed over by the NCAA than USC .

Disagree.  They barely scratched the surface with Reggie Bush.  They knew when recruiting him his family didn't have money (reportedly not even a credit card) but suddenly his father is jetting to away games and strolling the sidelines dressed to the nines.  They turned a blind eye--didn't want to know.  There were numerous monied boosters and celebs strolling through practice and team functions.  Pete Carroll kept it loose.  Players "took it upon themselves" to drive a couple hours to watch a high school recruit?  No recruiting violations there, right?

USC got the Al Capone treatment, punished heavily for the violation they could easily prove.  Capone got eleven years for tax evasion but you know the sentence was for far more than that.  Same with USC and Reggie.

• Mic drop 2

On 5/3/2022 at 8:51 PM, McDuck said:

Disagree.  They barely scratched the surface with Reggie Bush.  They knew when recruiting him his family didn't have money (reportedly not even a credit card) but suddenly his father is jetting to away games and strolling the sidelines dressed to the nines.  They turned a blind eye--didn't want to know.  There were numerous monied boosters and celebs strolling through practice and team functions.  Pete Carroll kept it loose.  Players "took it upon themselves" to drive a couple hours to watch a high school recruit?  No recruiting violations there, right?

USC got the Al Capone treatment, punished heavily for the violation they could easily prove.  Capone got eleven years for tax evasion but you know the sentence was for far more than that.  Same with USC and Reggie.

The Reggie Bush deal today would be completely kosher. Compare the penalty SEC Ole Miss got for a play for pay program to SC's sanctions.. Compare to the NOTHING UNC received for running 2 decades of academic fraud

It took next to no time for Chip and Oregon being dinged for using a recruiting runner. THIS was not going on in the SEC.

The Pac-12 has been the NCAA's dough boy for decades. Add Ohio State. Trade football prowess for tattoos and that = an undefeated team missing post season?

We do not need to attack teams in our conference for violations. If any conference has tried to play by the rules for decades it has been the Pac-12.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 5/3/2022 at 6:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Compare to the NOTHING UNC received for running 2 decades of academic fraud

What was particularly galling about the UNC case was that the NCAA said it wasn't in their purview, it was an academic issue. No doubt tje Pac-12 was the recipient of the NCAA's hammer as it tried to show it was doing something. 

• Applause 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:44 PM, 30Duck said:

What was particularly galling about the UNC case was that the NCAA said it wasn't in their purview, it was an academic issue. No doubt tje Pac-12 was the recipient of the NCAA's hammer as it tried to show it was doing something. 

Love it! It wasn't an athletic scam because 'regular students' were also part of the scam. Kind of like CAM didn't know his Dad was shopping Him?

PC was one of, if not THE biggest Richard Noggin to ever walk the visitors sidelines on rich brooks field. New-weasel a close second,

• Thumbs Up 2