FishDuck Article

Ducks, Pac-12 Flop in Draft

While it is always a great sense of pride when an Oregon Duck is selected in the first round of the NFL Draft, especially in the Top 10 (Kayvon Thibodeaux was picked 5th overall by the New York Giants), it is of even greater frustration that no other Ducks were selected. I went to the Paul McCartney concert here in Spokane ...

Dan.Lanning.1-300x300-cropped.jpeg?p=194
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com takes a look at the Oregon Ducks and Pac-12 Conference falling flat in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

2022 draft picks by conference

SEC: 65
Big Ten: 48
Big 12: 25
Pac-12: 25
ACC: 21

Physicality = I have no idea what actual coaching is.

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

FWIW - Not Much!

Way too early CBS 2023 mock draft has Sewell going No. 16 to the Pats.

The early Yardbarker mock has Sewell going 32 to the Bills. 

Unless Addison transfers to SC, Sewell is the only Pac-12 player projected in both mocks to go in the 1st round.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:32 AM, Jon Joseph said:

FWIW - Not Much!

Way too early CBS 2023 mock draft has Sewell going No. 16 to the Pats.

The early Yardbarker mock has Sewell going 32 to the Bills. 

Unless Addison transfers to SC, Sewell is the only Pac-12 player projected in both mocks to go in the 1st round.

Wilner has, assuming he can stay healthy, Washington DE Zion Tupuola-Fetui  , as a first rounder, other than that only Sewell.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:57 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Physicality = I have no idea what actual coaching is.

Yes, MC's motto. 

Thanks Darren, great take; I completely agree regarding Mario.

The draft more or less mirrors recruiting. Recruit the best players and you send the most players to the NFL. IF the players are coached up. 

The SEC has so much going for it. Including a network owned and operated by CFB media 'cartel' ESPN. As Coach Bellotti recently pointed out, it does Just Mean More in the SEC. It also doesn't hurt to be in the middle of rich recruiting country.

In both the CBS/YB mock drafts lots of guys from the Pac-12 footprint are expected to go in the 1st round in 2023; Sewell is the only one who plays in the Pac-12.

Sad to think that at the PAC 12 Championship game their were only two players there that got drafted.

• Wow 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:43 AM, savagefund said:

Sad to think that at the PAC 12 Championship game their were only two players there that got drafted.

Yeah, ouch, crappy.  Next year with the Ducks vs Trojans there will be several more. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:42 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks Darren, great take; I completely agree regarding Mario.

The draft more or less mirrors recruiting. Recruit the best players and you send the most players to the NFL. IF the players are coached up. 

The SEC has so much going for it. Including a network owned and operated by CFB media 'cartel' ESPN. As Coach Bellotti recently pointed out, it does Just Mean More in the SEC. It also doesn't hurt to be in the middle of rich recruiting country.

In both the CBS/YB mock drafts lots of guys from the Pac-12 footprint are expected to go in the 1st round in 2023; Sewell is the only one who plays in the Pac-12.

It does mean more down there, it's in the culture, and that's fine, it is who they are and the Pac-12 will never match the SEC.

It does give the Ducks the chance to sell itself as the most SEC-type school out west. Thankfully, not all recruits wanna' go down south, many would prefer to go/stay on the west coast, so it's a great opportunity for the Ducks. 

• Let’s hope! 1

On the bright side, the players must be stoked trading in a coach that had one guy drafted for a coach that had eight drafted from his D alone. 

i’m sure that will give DL the credibility to get everyone to buy into his get better every day philosophy.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I liken MC’s offense to the baseball strategy of playing “small ball”. A conservative strategy that allows opposing  teams to keep games close.

The physicality definition from Kamikaze is appropriate here, and very funny.

As one of the top teams in the PAC12 it is tough to showcase your players to the NFL when you are having a tough time beating teams outside of the top 25. 

We finally have coaches that WANT to open up the offense and play tough defense. What a great concept.

Edited by Drake
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

So, Top 10 in recruiting, Bottom 10 in player development. I suspect there is a correlation:)

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/3/2022 at 11:57 AM, Drake said:

I liken MC’s offense to the baseball strategy of playing “small ball”. A conservative strategy that allows opposing  teams to keep games close.

The physicality definition from Kamikaze is appropriate, and very funny.

As one of the top teams in the PAC12 it is tough to showcase your players to the NFL when you are having a tough time beating teams outside of the top 25. 

We finally have coaches that WANT to open up the offense and play tough defense. What a great concept.

Terrific take. NFL scouts will find players everywhere, including FCS. But it doesn't help recruiting when games are played after dark and often on an irrelevant network.

Like the game vs Ohio State last season the game in Atlanta will be, far and away, the most watched game in the Ducks 2022 regular season. 

It just shows that you better dominate in the Pac-12 if you want to play in the NFL. Guys who think they are pretty good in the Pac-12 don't understand the competition in the SEC or at the elite level.

I also think we had too many guys who were ok with being pretty good in the Pac-12 and thought that might translate to the NFL, and it didn't. Hopefully Lanning can get guys to realize pretty good isn't good enough.

I remember Keith Lewis as an Oregon Duck and a new coach describing the injustice that was done to him by previous coaches. He had so much talent which wasn't challenged while at Oregon. One year under new coaching got him drafted, and he ended up holding on to a 5 year NFL career, but he had so much more talent to develop.

I hope we don't see guys leaving our program without realizing their full potential as much as they have in the recent past. A growth mindset and wanting to improve in all areas will help. Looking forward to some hungry student athletes developing to greatness again.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/3/2022 at 10:53 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

On the bright side, the players must be stoked trading in a coach that had one guy drafted for a coach that had eight drafted from his D alone. 

i’m sure that will give DL the credibility to get everyone to buy into his get better every day philosophy.

Yep, should definitely help with recruiting as well. 

Good new is, we'll bring in even better recruits now, AND they will get coached up to their potential...see the draft numbers trending up a LOT in a couple years.  And I skied today.  And snowboarded.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:02 AM, Gusduck71 said:

So, Top 10 in recruiting, Bottom 10 in player development. I suspect there is a correlation:)

Y-e-s-! 

On 5/3/2022 at 11:36 AM, Haywarduck said:

It just shows that you better dominate in the Pac-12 if you want to play in the NFL. Guys who think they are pretty good in the Pac-12 don't understand the competition in the SEC or at the elite level.

I also think we had too many guys who were ok with being pretty good in the Pac-12 and thought that might translate to the NFL, and it didn't. Hopefully Lanning can get guys to realize pretty good isn't good enough.

I remember Keith Lewis as an Oregon Duck and a new coach describing the injustice that was done to him by previous coaches. He had so much talent which wasn't challenged while at Oregon. One year under new coaching got him drafted, and he ended up holding on to a 5 year NFL career, but he had so much more talent to develop.

I hope we don't see guys leaving our program without realizing their full potential as much as they have in the recent past. A growth mindset and wanting to improve in all areas will help. Looking forward to some hungry student athletes developing to greatness again.

Going from MC to DL is a big step in the right direction. 

Darren....you are such an entertaining writer, and I loved the conclusion--not just as a Duck fan, but as a publisher.  Great observations and fun presentation.

It will take a while, but eventually

Mario will figure it out...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/3/2022 at 3:21 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Darren....you are such an entertaining writer, and I loved the conclusion--not just as a Duck fan, but as a publisher.  Great observations and fun presentation.

It will take a while, but eventually

giphy.gif

Thanks, Charles. Ya know, naming names it just too easy, we all love a "mystery." ; )

On 5/3/2022 at 4:21 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

Cops And Robbers Dogs GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 2