PittDuck

Risky Business? What Might Ducks Portal Stats Show?

I wonder what Oregon’s portal stats look like?  How many of these kids will never play another game?

• Thanks 1

Are u talking about those who have left or the ones that are coming in?

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0414%2Fr999960_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

This year, there are already more than 3,600 FBS players in the portal, and the biggest question...

I was trying to post the article above🤨

On 5/4/2022 at 8:38 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Are u talking about those who have left or the ones that are coming in?

The ones who left.  It seems like a lot of depth players (not so many starters) have left, and I hope they are not killing their chances.

The purge. Is it a coincidence that a DL comes in and one goes out? Could it be the new staff is assembling their team? Between recruits and transfers the ducks have over 30 new teammates in the locker room (including the PWO). I have no idea the individual reasons for leaving the team, but for whatever the reason, they no longer want to be ducks. I have no idea why the players coming in wanted to leave their old team, but what I do know is they WANT to be DUCKS.

the Ducks are quickly morphing into to team Lanning. 

• Like 1

I’m just guessing but I’m sure the coaching staff has had sit downs with every player and discussed their future part in Eugene. Some will stay for the education but their future in college football may not be what they had hoped. I think we will see a few more changes before our trip to Georgia and I think this new staff we have will make the best moves for the team, I am confident in that.

We all have comments about how young the staff is but there is NFL experience in this group not to mention a head coach that has a natty under his belt as a DC. I think DL is a good listener, unlike MC, and he has some studs to listen to.

Going to be a roller coaster to start but I think things will smooth out by fall and from that point forward.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

There are zero meaningful portal transfers who've left us. These are all process based guys who were either a cancer, have permanent injuries that would impair their ability to play effectively, etc. The OL guys that left were all 3rd string and not going to get better than emergency playing status. Most of these guys had chronic injuries to their shoulders, etc. and quite frankly shouldn't have been offered. They were offered because of stars, their medical's weren't good. 

Everyone you see leaving had no shot at PT. Point is, they were processed for better players that the staff wanted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:16 AM, WickedGreen said:

Everyone you see leaving had no shot at PT. Point is, they were processed for better players that the staff wanted. 

And I think this happened before there was ever a portal. As I remember, players met with coaches at the end of the season and some undoubtedly were told, however directly or indirectly, that they probably would not get a lot of playing time, and some transferred and some chose to stay and keep their scholarships and graduate.

And some were medically retired.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:16 AM, WickedGreen said:

There are zero meaningful portal transfers who've left us. These are all process based guys who were either a cancer, have permanent injuries that would impair their ability to play effectively, etc. The OL guys that left were all 3rd string and not going to get better than emergency playing status. Most of these guys had chronic injuries to their shoulders, etc. and quite frankly shouldn't have been offered. They were offered because of stars, their medical's weren't good. 

I think this reasonable take other than for Dye going to SC and possibly, losing a good punter?

Interesting to look at our depth chart. The scholarship players who seems buried deepest is Jonathan Flowe. It seems the first visible move by the staff is to move a kid deep into the depth chart, then the student athlete transfers. It would seem all the qb's have decided to stay for now, who is next?

On 5/5/2022 at 7:16 AM, WickedGreen said:

I respectfully 1000% disagree and I respect the kids who left having the freedom to make the choice they made. The Portal giveth and taketh, it's just how it will be and I stay pretty even keel about it. 

Lets look at the three kids who went to Auburn and where they are projected on the Auburnwire post 2022 spring practice depth chart.

QB- Robby Ashford- he is projected 2nd on the depth chart behind the Texas AM transfer. My comment would be IS the Auburn QB room THAT weak or Mario was that DEAD set on playing the 6th year AB in his Prevent Offense? Regardless good for Robby and I hope he gets the QB1

DT-Jayson Jones- projected DT1 was a low 4 star 247 Composite

CB- DJ James- projected Star CB1 was a 3 star 247 Composite, his starting spot now goes to Manning for us next year.

OL- Logan Sagapolu transferred to Miami and started at guard in Spring game that I watched, and he played well. He was a 2 year mission kid, was strongest Duck on the team and grown man now.

OL- Jonathon Dennis transferred to Miami, is a low 247 Composite  4 star (89 grade) who was running with the two's and pushing to get with the one's before he got hurt in the 2021 fall camp. I predict he will start at guard. 

RB- Travis Dye to USC is RB1 and is a guy who if featured could have over 2000 yards rushing/receiving combined

RB- Trey Benson to FSUis a high 80;s grade 3 star 247 Composite who is RB2 on Noles post practice spring projected depth chart

OL- Jonah Miller 247 Composite 4 star rated a top 300 who will eventually play sone when he lands at a school

OL- Jaylon Jeffers mid 3 star with mid to upper 80's grade, PT for Ducks wasn't in the cards for him. 

DL- Kristian Williams high 3 star 247 Composite who played in every game last year. 

Those are all kids I can recall who hit the Portal after Mario left, but we had two huge losses to the Portal Mid Season

OL- Kinglsey Suamataia who last year was our highest OL commit ever and a 98 grade 247 Composite and he will start at BYU next year and be closer to his Momma.

WR- Mycah Pittman a high 4 star 247 Composite is projected post spring game stater for 2022 at FSU

The fact is we lost bigtime talent in the Portal, but our depth at some positions, recruits and use of the Portal really makes it all about a wash. 

Just the Portal adds where solid as Bo is QB1, Gonzalez is better CB than DJ, Cota fills that Vet WR we need in the room. DL we added Taki along with two Huskers Riley the 330lb Nose and Rogers. We added two RB's who can play productive snaps and Boyle to kick so we can now bench Lewis.

Plus we have Luli and Connerly Jr on the OL coming for fall camp. 

Lastly this is my first post though I have lurked for many moons. Charles, I know you're a Rivals guy but I'm a 247 guy for my own reasons. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 5/5/2022 at 3:42 PM, DazeNconfused said:

The fact is we lost bigtime talent in the Portal, but our depth at some positions, recruits and use of the Portal really makes it all about a wash. 

Enjoyed your well thought out post and agree for the most part.

I believe overall talentwise it is a wash. But, we have collected many players with specific coach ties. This will help the communication/comprehension of the new staff and players. This will be huge in how fast the new system develops and manifests itself on the field. 

This staff continues to impress me with their foretaught and purposeful moves.   

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/5/2022 at 4:24 PM, DUCati855 said:

I believe overall talentwise it is a wash. But, we have collected many players with specific coach ties. This will help the communication/comprehension of the new staff and players. This will be huge in how fast the new system develops and manifests itself on the field. 

Thats a really, really solid point I haven't pondered as much. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 3:42 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Lastly this is my first post though I have lurked for many moons. Charles, I know you're a Rivals guy but I'm a 247 guy for my own reasons. 

Good gosh...where have YOU been? What a great first post!  You gave your opinion respectfully, and backed up with researched facts.  Please post often, and WELCOME to this community!

giphy.gif

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/5/2022 at 7:24 PM, DUCati855 said:

This is a great post. How many NFL free agents have you seen who left their teams for more money but didn’t produce. This was likely due to them having to adapt to a different system.

Some players thrive in a certain system, but are average performers in other systems. It all comes down to fit. I think that’s why we’re seeing so much movement. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 12:54 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

How many NFL free agents have you seen who left their teams for more money but didn’t produce. This was likely due to them having to adapt to a different system.

And how many guys get drafted into nearly hopeless situations in the NFL because the teams drafting them have no stability and poor leadership?  I wonder what guys like David Carr and Joey Harrington would have been had they been drafted by teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, or Ravens rather than the Texans and Lions?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/6/2022 at 7:27 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

And how many guys get drafted into nearly hopeless situations in the NFL because the teams drafting them have no stability and poor leadership?  I wonder what guys like David Carr and Joey Harrington would have been had they been drafted by teams like the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, or Ravens rather than the Texans and Lions?

Grey beard alert! Perfect example = Jim Plunkett. Drafted by the woeful Pats but when he finally escaped he won Super Bowls.

• Thumbs Up 1