Tandaian

College Football Coaches to Propose Transfer-Portal Windows

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2020%2F0921%2Fr749005_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

College football coaches will propose transfer windows in the late fall and spring to help with roster management around the transfer portal.

Limiting to two time periods.  Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, said Tuesday his group would like two transfer windows for players to enter their names in the portal: one from the final Sunday in November until the early signing date in mid-December, and another from April 15 to May 1

More evidence of the beginning of the return of sanity. It will never go back, and change is occurring, but at least the work to put a lid on the craziness has begun.

Stepping back from the cliff!

• Let’s hope! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

At the very least it will help teams make high school recruiting a bit more predictible...

Such a move, if implemented, should help remove the ‘impulse’ generated portal moves that keep players and coaches alike in a state of ‘what next?’ chaos. Making young minds discipline themselves to a schedule is part of what education and growing-up is all about.

Dan Lanning had a great comment after the spring game when asked about unlimited official visits, not the same thing I know but it's related, in saying that basically he wants to see his family and having regulations in place enables some semblance of work life balance. (I am paraphrasing here as i don't remember the quote word for word)

Transfer Portal windows would create some sanity in the coaching world. I know it is difficult to have too much sympathy for jobs that pay multi millions but more than anything I think we as fans want to see rules and regulations around what is a chaotic system right now.

Windows would also put some emphasis on the student part of student athlete which has been lacking lately. Make them finish classes where they are at and focus on the education part rather than just go school shopping what feels like all the time. 

On 5/5/2022 at 9:29 AM, Tandaian said:
WWW.ESPN.COM

College football coaches will propose transfer windows in the late fall and spring to help with roster management around the transfer portal.

Limiting to two time periods.  Todd Berry, executive director of the American Football Coaches Association, said Tuesday his group would like two transfer windows for players to enter their names in the portal: one from the final Sunday in November until the early signing date in mid-December, and another from April 15 to May 1

I am not a fan of restricting the flow of labor to satisfy the whims of a bunch of millionaires.  Especially when ncaa has a pattern of ignoring abusive coaches.  

Further players transferring isn’t the real problem in college athletics (it usually isn’t the labor that cause havoc in the marketplace)… it’s the coaches, staff, and admin. Coaches leaving in the middle of the season, poaching labor and other coaches, ect.  from other schools is ruining the game.  

Reigning in the poor behavior of the coaches, implementing harsher no compete clauses, and severely fine coaches to prevent them from poaching recruits or players from their current team would bring some stability.  I recommend a 1 year sit out for all coaches that transfer schools in ncaa athletics.

Edited by Pocketchange

On 5/5/2022 at 12:07 PM, David Marsh said:

Dan Lanning had a great comment after the spring game when asked about unlimited official visits, not the same thing I know but it's related, in saying that basically he wants to see his family and having regulations in place enables some semblance of work life balance. (I am paraphrasing here as i don't remember the quote word for word)

Transfer Portal windows would create some sanity in the coaching world. I know it is difficult to have too much sympathy for jobs that pay multi millions but more than anything I think we as fans want to see rules and regulations around what is a chaotic system right now.

Windows would also put some emphasis on the student part of student athlete which has been lacking lately. Make them finish classes where they are at and focus on the education part rather than just go school shopping what feels like all the time. 

The head coach position has grown into a CEO position and the governing bodies need to recognize that.  The CEO shouldn’t be flying all over the country recruiting and analyzing talent anymore.  If that means the coaching staff has to grow in order to recruit properly then that needs to happen.  College sports is a billion dollar business, it needs to act like it.  

On 5/5/2022 at 12:16 PM, Pocketchange said:

The head coach position has grown into a CEO position and the governing bodies need to recognize that.  The CEO shouldn’t be flying all over the country recruiting and analyzing talent anymore.  If that means the coaching staff has to grow in order to recruit properly then that needs to happen.  College sports is a billion dollar business, it needs to act like it.  

A very interesting idea and one that I think the biggest programs would certainly agree with. Programs that is that have the budgets to hire more staff members. 

So for Oregon this would work out pretty well but for other programs this could be another the rich get richer situations. Can Oregon state truly afford to hire more staff members? 

I personally like the idea... Though I could see some hurtles in terms of fairness to all programs. 

Though on the fairness front I do think the transfer portal windows would create greater fairness. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:22 PM, David Marsh said:

A very interesting idea and one that I think the biggest programs would certainly agree with. Programs that is that have the budgets to hire more staff members. 

So for Oregon this would work out pretty well but for other programs this could be another the rich get richer situations. Can Oregon state truly afford to hire more staff members? 

I personally like the idea... Though I could see some hurtles in terms of fairness to all programs. 

Though on the fairness front I do think the transfer portal windows would create greater fairness. 

I’m not strongly apposed to the idea because, if the hypothesis is correct, transfer portal windows would bring stability to athletics.  We should heavily consider the contra argument of transfer portals before implementing the policy.

players transfer out of programs for a reason. Often we don’t know why.  What reason should we limit an athletes opportunities to pursue their given trade?

I wonder if we should be done calling these kids Student Athletes. I would think that the ones jumping around from school to school would have a hard time getting a quality education. If it wasn’t for athletics a large portion of these kids would never attend college or pass admission standards.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/5/2022 at 8:08 PM, Pocketchange said:

I am not a fan of restricting the flow of labor to satisfy the whims of a bunch of millionaires.  

Coaches...poaching labor and other coaches, ect.  from other schools is ruining the game.  

I have to admit I'm a little lost here...if a kid wants to leave because some coach offers him more playing time, a better system, more NIL, or whatever, and that's not allowed, isn't that restricting the flow of labor?  If kids should be free to go wherever and whenever they want, what makes something "poaching"?

If I have a job and decide on my own to start looking around, or if I'm not considering a move but another company contacts me to offer me something, I'm free to leave in both situations.  If college athletes should be treated as "labor," shouldn't competitors be free to make them better offers?

• Thumbs Up 2

Pocketchange, I agree.  Schools and coaches need to be held up to standards too.  When a school fires a coach mid season or a coach leaves mid season, what does that show the kids.  

My preference would be unless a coach breaks a law, they can't be fired until after the regular season.  The coaching carousel also leads to chaos.  Schools, coaches and players need to be held to similar standards.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 12:29 PM, Tandaian said:
WWW.ESPN.COM

THIS is logical and I believe can be sustained in the face of litigation contesting any such new rule.

This involves eligibility and not payment to the athletes.

Also, IMO, CFB should get rid of the early signing date that has coaches recruiting 24/7 through early bowl practices. And simply hoses over a school like Stanford.

Another idea that has been suggested that I would like to see adopted. Keep the scholarship limit at 85 but do not have any limit (today it is 25) on an incoming class. With all the transfer activity and the 25 newbie restriction, many schools are far short of scholarship players.

On 5/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

I have to admit I'm a little lost here...if a kid wants to leave because some coach offers him more playing time, a better system, more NIL, or whatever, and that's not allowed, isn't that restricting the flow of labor?  If kids should be free to go wherever and whenever they want, what makes something "poaching"?

If I have a job and decide on my own to start looking around, or if I'm not considering a move but another company contacts me to offer me something, I'm free to leave in both situations.  If college athletes should be treated as "labor," shouldn't competitors be free to make them better offers?

Great points.

But whereas the Alston decision has handcuffed the NCAA regarding 'pay for play' it has not erased the NCAA's ability to establish eligibility standards. 

Having to be in the portal before May 1, extended for paper-work purposes, in order to be eligible in 2022 is IMO, a perfectly reasonable restriction that I believe is sustainable in a court of law.

Players may enter the portal whenever they so desire but putting a time limit on when such a player will be eligible for the next season is IMO, completely reasonable. Otherwise, why not poach guys in season who are having good seasons on lesser teams. Poach guys who are balling out on a losing team?

You have a stud LB who goes down to injury? Then go the lesser teams in the P5 or after players in the G5 and the FCS for immediately eligible in-season replacements.

Of course, via contract and negotiation with the players' union, the NFL has myriad restrictions on transfers.

And while rigidly reviewed by courts of law, certain non-compete clauses in 'regular' business are sustainable as are a departing employee taking 'trade secrets' and a firm's existing client along with him/her. 

In the NFL if a player could decide to be a free agent at any time this would lead to competitive chaos and destroy the NFL's desire to maintain parity.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Another idea that has been suggested that I would like to see adopted. Keep the scholarship limit at 85 but do not have any limit (today it is 25) on an incoming class. With all the transfer activity and the 25 newbie restriction, many schools are far short of scholarship players.

This is something that I fully support, along with getting rid of Early Signing Day. 

• Thumbs Up 1