30Duck

Brooks Suspended for One Game for Flagrant 2 Foul

Ejected for that?  Quite the change from the the 80s pro sports that I grew up watching as a kid.  I imagine that Bill Laimbier and Chuck Cecil were laughing in a bar together somewhere when that was called.   

• Thumbs Up 1

That's pretty aggressive but he was going for the ball. Definitely a foul and maybe worth some bonus shots as a flagrant 1 or a technical or something. 

But not really an ejection. 

No, Dillon definitely deserved the ejection and I hope he gets a hefty fine also. Love all my former Ducks, but this was a meathead play, striking a player in mid-leap hard on the head/side of face with the whole forearm area. Easily could have resulted in a bad injury to the neck/head; GPIII landed on his hip area and arm very awkwardly also. During the play, Dillon had just missed another 3. Don't take out your frustrations like that - it's just not worth it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yep, I love Dillon, but that was just a bad play.  He was way too far behind to have any chance of making a play.  We aren't in the 1980's anymore.  I think the 80's and the Piston's run in the early 90's was terrible basketball.  I don't want 130-140 scores either, but I want to watch basketball not hockey or WWE. 

It won't ever happen, but if a player is given a flagrant foul, I would have no problem with the NBA keeping that player out until the injured player is back.  Pay suspended for up to 10 games, then after that the player would get paid, but not be able to play.  You'd stop terrible decision making on players parts, if you started taking their money away.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've played ratball for 35 years and never ever in all of my overly agressive efforts have I ever clubbed someone on the head.  Maybe a hard slap on the hands or arms.  Very dirty play.  

• Like 1

I don't think Dillon intentionally tried to make a dirty play but he went at Payton in an extremely aggressive and sloppy way, an ejection was warranted.  Hopefully he learns something from this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Professional players at this level are making so much money that the fines are "chump change" to them.

Brooks is one of those guys you love to hate if you are rooting for the other team but who you would love to have on your side to be an irritant.  Drove me nuts in the Jazz - Grizzlies series last year.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:57 PM, David Marsh said:

That's pretty aggressive but he was going for the ball. Definitely a foul and maybe worth some bonus shots as a flagrant 1 or a technical or something. 

But not really an ejection. 

Could not disagree more. That was a mugging. He was not trying to make a play. Huge windup and then the vicious strike.

He was trying to intimidate and send a message, and it was delivered in a manner that has no business on a basketball court.

Dillon Brooks is an excellent player, has carved out a nice role with the Grizzlies. I was a fan when he played for the Ducks and now root for him in the NBA. But that type of play goes way beyond a flagrant 2…..if there was such a thing.

Draymond Green committed an egregious foul in game one and was justifiably ejected. What Brooks did was so far beyond what Green did, they don’t even have a name for it.

And it knocked Payton out of the playoffs, which very well could affect the outcome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looked at the replay several times and it was definately a F-2 foul, but the real damage was done not by the head smack but by Payton getting his legs caught up in Brooks' legs and him falling sideways with his left arm extended. I think it was a very hard foul that warranted the F-2 and ejection because of the head contact but it looks to me that the fall resulting in the injury was not intentional and maybe shouldn't warrant an extended suspension. 

Dumb

Way too much 

Totally a dirty play. Sad to see a former Duck make a  play that puts another player at risk for a serious,  career  ending injury!

• Thumbs Up 2