Haywarduck

Cristobal Vows: Canes Going to 'Jump Ahead, Create Our Own Gap'

He really knows how to echo what a fanbase wants to hear. Best of luck with that one, you don't even have a stadium!

• Thumbs Up 2

He is very skillful at duping the alumni, and I should know.

The phrase, "I Want to Believe" applies to 'Cane fans and to some Oregon fans....and more will be revealed in Friday's article on FishDuck written by you-know-who about what to believe from coaches.

It might ruffle some Duck feathers, but the good news is I cannot be fired or "cancelled" by anyone who disagrees since I have my own sites. But it needs to be said...

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I believe MC can close the gap. However, I get the feeling that MC’s ceiling as a coach will not be high enough for the people bankrolling the Miami program. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If he can improve to 8-3 next year, maybe they get back to the Cheez-It Bowl?

Mario returning to the U?   Is it closer to Frost returning to Lincoln or Harbaugh to Meatchicken?

• Thumbs Up 3

I think Cristobal might feel more free than he did at Oregon. We got a super bizzar and boring offense because I think he felt trapped or compelled to keep a spread offense... Or more to the point keep something that on the surface looks like a spread offense. 

This is how we got stuck with the plodding pistol. It was a way to using the shotgun but still try and create a power run game. It failed. 

What Cristobal really wants is something that uses the QB under center and is pure old school ball control. It can work still ... But it's going to need a far better defense than what Oregon has put on the field the last two years. 

I don't think Cristobal is going to see results that are any better than what he had at Oregon. At Oregon he had a team primed to return to being the heavyweight in the conference and he still managed to lose the pac-12 championship this last year even though he won two in a row. 

Miami will probably tolorate his plodding offensive style where Oregon fans really did not... But I doubt he'll do any better. Especially since Clemson is getting ready to make a comeback. 

• Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's put some respect on Marios name!

The Ducks program was a dumpster fire when Mario got the job. Helf didn't recruit worth beans and if they say a team takes on a coach's persona, then we were soft as baby poo. We are lucky Willy T poached Mario away from Bama to come here and we are lucky Mario got the job. 

Mario was a relentless worker and built a culture where this team stacked blue chips who were down to put the work in to be a Playoff Team. Mario left this team stocked with talent like we have ever has had and he set a high recruiting bar for Lanning to meet. Mario brought this program back from irrelevant to relevant. 

Mario was 35-13 here for his career with 2 Pac 12 title and a Rose Bowl win. Helf has us 4-8 in 2015 and Mario put 9 wins on the board in 2017 his first year! In 2019 Mario was 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl, how many Ducks coaches have a Rose Bowl win?

He put 10 wins on the board in 2021 and had us in the Pac 12 Championship game again. Only Chip, Helf and Mario won a Rose Bowl and Mario built up to get there.

Bellotti won 67.8% of his games

Chip won 86.7% of his games after taking over a team that went 10-3

Helf won 67.8% of his games after taking over Chips team and ran it into the ground with a 4-8 final season and 2-7 in the Pac!!!

Mario won 72.9% of his games after taking over a 7-5 team and has the 2nd highest winning percentage among Ducks coaches!

Those are the facts of Marios record, they aren't open to dispute, look it all up. Mario is a program builder, hardworking culture guy, he is elite in those areas. 

That said he is far from perfect, as most coaches and people are. His glaring weakness is his offensive philosophy is akin to a penny slot gambler who minimum bets. Mario wanted to control the ball with his running game, play solid defense, limit turnovers, run the clock, possess the ball, limit the other teams' possessions and was happy to win the game by one score.

In doing this he overlooked he had the offensive talent to just plain out score the other team, and his offensive skill players felt that wasn't the scheme Mario sold them. Mario's scheme also led to a lack of offensive production and put his defense on the field for more snaps and in closer games than if he had just turned his offense loose. 

The 2019 was a PLAYOFF TEAM and Mario held it back Herbs last year. Chip, Kiffin, Herman being offensive types would have taken that team to the playoffs i have no doubt. Mario BULIT that team and led it to 12 wins but he also kept it out of the playoffs, not many coaches even accomplish that. I give Mario all due credit for thar and all the other great things he did, but he could have done even more if he wasn't married to his prevent offense. 

Mario had the class to come back and meet with the team unlike Kelly when he bailed for LSU. Mario had a leaving town interview with John Clownzanno and that shows class. Mario isn't a bad coach he just has a weakness he needs to see and fix it.

Mario has left this team LOADED with more talent than Chip left when he went, Mario did not fail with his stewardship of this program. But Mario did fail to get the maximum potential reached in his time here. If we want to call Mario a failure, then his failure exceeds everyone else sucess than Chip.

If you want to hate on Mario maybe, we need to consider that Ducks Privilege? 

I have no doubt Mario is going to load up the U and win the ACC soon.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 5/5/2022 at 6:37 PM, David Marsh said:

I think Cristobal might feel more free than he did at Oregon. We got a super bizzar and boring offense because I think he felt trapped or compelled to keep a spread offense... Or more to the point keep something that on the surface looks like a spread offense. 

This is how we got stuck with the plodding pistol. It was a way to using the shotgun but still try and create a power run game. It failed. 

What Cristobal really wants is something that uses the QB under center and is pure old school ball control. It can work still ... But it's going to need a far better defense than what Oregon has put on the field the last two years. 

I don't think Cristobal is going to see results that are any better than what he had at Oregon. At Oregon he had a team primed to return to being the heavyweight in the conference and he still managed to lose the pac-12 championship this last year even though he won two in a row. 

Miami will probably tolorate his plodding offensive style where Oregon fans really did not... But I doubt he'll do any better. Especially since Clemson is getting ready to make a comeback. 

Mario and Arroyo were Co OC's under Willy T. Then Mario got the HC job and adopted the Pistol, Maestro was a Nevada guy when they ran the pistol with Kaperdicdt. I think Mario wasn't sold on Arroyo having free reign but didn't want to demote him, but Mario had much mote respect for Mastro than the Kid Aroyo.. so he lost the Gulf Coast and went Pistol. Mario just needs to get out of Gattis way this year and let him run the O he wants.

I read the Miami boards and the fan base is aware of Marios prevent offense. They have TVD the best QB in the ACC and they will flip out if he don't air the ball out. They are a brutal fan base

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, Drake said:

I believe MC can close the gap. However, I get the feeling that MC’s ceiling as a coach will not be high enough for the people bankrolling the Miami program. 

This is the sense I get. I feel like the biggest reason that Mario was hired at Miami is because he played at The U, and the fans feel that will bring back that time.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Put it into some perspective. MC is a good recruiter and I give him credit for destroying the idea that it is difficult to recruit players to Eugene. However, many of his wins were with an NFL record setting QB that he inherited. 

With that said, I actually think Herbert was very instrumental in getting MC the Miami job. Herbert returned for his senior season to take a shot at getting to the CFP. Unfortunately, the team came up just short. Without Herbert no PC12 title that year. 

Not so sure that counting the COVID year PAC12 title reflects outstanding coaching prowess. The PAC 12 has not shown well in bowl games for the last few years. The PAC 12 has been fairly weak and is struggling in football. 

Having watched all the coaches you point to to make a point regarding winning percentages…I will take a Belotti coached team over an MC coached team every Saturday. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:42 PM, Drake said:

Put it into some perspective. MC is a good recruiter and I give him credit for destroying the idea that it is difficult to recruit players to Eugene. However, many of his wins were with an NFL record setting QB that he inherited. 

With that said, I actually think Herbert was very instrumental in getting MC the Miami job. Herbert returned for his senior season to take a shot at getting to the CFP. Unfortunately, the team came up just short. Without Herbert no PC12 title that year. 

Not so sure that counting the COVID year PAC12 title reflects outstanding coaching prowess. The PAC 12 has not shown well in bowl games for the last few years. The PAC 12 has been fairly weak and is struggling in football. 

Having watched all the coaches you point to to make a point regarding winning percentages…I will take a Belotti coached team over an MC coached team every Saturday. 

Fair enough. Belli is better in game guy and the play caller that Mario isn't.. 

How about Mario roster with Belli coaching it?

I've made my points about Mario on this thread and I've used the butt cream on my butt hurt over Mario's faults and moved on. He left us better than he found us by far.

• Thumbs Up 3

In the memorable words of Frank the Budweiser lizard, "Let it go, Louie.  Let it go!"  MC is muddy water well under the bridge.  I, for one, really don't care what he does at Miami.  But of course...I hope he enjoys that $8 million dollar mansion and doesn't mind the bird sized mosquitos of western Florida.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:03 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I read the Miami boards and the fan base is aware of Marios prevent offense. They have TVD the best QB in the ACC and they will flip out if he don't air the ball out. They are a brutal fan base

Well... We had Justin Herbert and there were times in 2018 and 2019 that it felt like we didn't air the ball out anywhere near enough. Then last year with Brown Oregon fans booed Brown and Cristobal and wanted Thompson on the field. I am not convinced Thompson would have been better but there was a strong desire by Oregon fans to air the ball out and that was ignored.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 8:21 PM, David Marsh said:Then last year with Brown Oregon fans booed Brown and Cristobal 

David, IMHO, I really didn’t feel the fans were booing AB, but they were without a doubt booing MC and his tepid vanilla play calling.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 8:56 PM, PittDuck said:

David, IMHO, I really didn’t feel the fans were booing AB, but they were without a doubt booing MC and his tepid vanilla play calling.

Fans were frustrated with Brown. I know I was, and it was made much worse by the restrained play calling and offensive style. 

I think Miami fans are going to be frustrated at times in the coming years. 

He forgets that Gators got Napier & Noles got Norvell.  The arms race for Florida is heating up!.  It'll be a wild ride!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 8:21 PM, David Marsh said:

Well... We had Justin Herbert and there were times in 2018 and 2019 that it felt like we didn't air the ball out anywhere near enough. Then last year with Brown Oregon fans booed Brown and Cristobal and wanted Thompson on the field. I am not convinced Thompson would have been better but there was a strong desire by Oregon fans to air the ball out and that was ignored.

The Miami fans know all about Mario's time in Oregon, and they have the boards with no decorum. There is a camp in that fan base that wanted to go after Mario when Mark Ritch resigned at the end of 2018. Mario had just gone 9-4 and won a bowl game in his first year with the Ducks. The Miami AD promised national search and then hired Manny 3 days later creating an uproar among the fanbase. 

Ad nauseam their boards have fought over not hiring Mario and used him as a benchmark for Manny. 

How Herbs was wasted by Mario, CJ's late fumble at Stanford when we could have just taken a knee and killed the clock. 2019 Auburn game we choked up the lead late and the bad ASU loss, 4-3 Covid year, The Utah Beatdowns. The Maimi boards have gone over all that between the pro and anti-Mario camps as much as the Ducks boards. Heck they even bring up the Redbox Bowl Mario called time out before we ran a play.  There is a loud Never Mario crowd.

Mario has hired a great staff, poaching Gattis the Broyles award winner away from Michigan as his OC. He hired Kevin Steele longtime SEC DC and Charlie Strong is his LB coach. 

There is a large part of that fan base just waiting for Mario to Mario up the game management and cost a game, or when it appears he is holding the Offensive scheme back. As soon as that happens there will be wars on the Miami boards with lots of, I told you so, he did the same thing at Oregon. It's expected TVD will be in NY for the Heisman ceremony and if he isn't it's going to be Mario's fault. The pro-Mario crowds going to point to his staff hires, ace recruiting, roster depth, physical culture all things that program had lacked. 

If Mario doesn't fix his coaching flaws, it's going to be a carbon copy of the pro vrs anti-Mario Ducks fan felt. If Mario can't get over the hump and into the playoffs in year 4-5 and 12-2 feels like not reaching the teams potential lots of fans will want to move on.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Is that the A or the B gap?

On 5/5/2022 at 9:52 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I appreciate your take and thoughts.

I entirely disagree about Mario winning the ACC 'soon' or ever. Mario is 62-60, His Rose Bowl win was by 1 point playing with the NFL rookie of the year at QB against a 3L team.

His team won a COVID title and was then flat out embarrassed by Iowa State. He was badly out-coached by Coach Campbell who was playing with an inferior roster.

The 'culture' he produced in the Ducks locker room was a culture of playing down to the opponent. The culture he created was killing the Oregon brand.  As evidenced by player's comments in 2022, football is 'fun' again. Not the drudgery it was under Mario.

The fact he stuck around to say so long? Sorry to be cynical but perhaps this was at least in part an effort to have some of 'his guys' move to Miami with him?

I could not be happier to see this guy MIA.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

If MC ever starts listening to others he might have a chance in Miami but we all have known people that just won’t shut up and listen and those types never change. I’m afraid he is doomed by himself.

Maybe he will.  Maybe he won’t.  

I think the first few games will give a read on what, if anything, he learned from his time at Oregon. 

Until then, why speculate (other than because it’s a Duck forum, the off-season, and fun)?

MC is a micro manager. Until he changes nothing will change. 

On 5/6/2022 at 8:56 AM, CalBear95 said:

I think the first few games will give a read on what, if anything, he learned from his time at Oregon. 

I don't think he will change at all, I mean why would he?  He has been positively reinforced for what he did at Oregon to the tune of 8 million a year.  He is smarter than everyone else, and he has the checks to prove it!

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/6/2022 at 8:39 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I appreciate your take and thoughts.

I entirely disagree about Mario winning the ACC 'soon' or ever. Mario is 62-60, His Rose Bowl win was by 1 point playing with the NFL rookie of the year at QB against a 3L team.

His team won a COVID title and was then flat out embarrassed by Iowa State. He was badly out-coached by Coach Campbell who was playing with an inferior roster.

The 'culture' he produced in the Ducks locker room was a culture of playing down to the opponent. The culture he created was killing the Oregon brand.  As evidenced by player's comments in 2022, football is 'fun' again. Not the drudgery it was under Mario.

The fact he stuck around to say so long? Sorry to be cynical but perhaps this was at least in part an effort to have some of 'his guys' move to Miami with him?

I could not be happier to see this guy MIA.

Miami had the 13th ranked team talent last year, Mario has more to start with than he did at Oregon when he took over. He had the 16th rated class this cycle, not too shabby in a transition year.

He has Gattis the Broyles award winner as his OC. Kevin Steel as his DC and Charlie Strong as his LB coach.

He has a higher rated staff than he did here, and better Lanning has now.  It's a top 5 coaching staff in nation I'd guess, these guys can teach and call plays. 

Mario can recruit nationally. 

Florida has around 25% of the top 125 players each year in the nation, go check that if you want. All right in Mario's backyard.

He has Garcia the top 100 QB who flipped from USC waiting to take over for TVD who is the best QB in the ACC this year.

Mario's overall coaching record is a red herring argument. 

He took over a trash FIU team that had a 12-game losing streak and lost his first 11-games to end a 23-game losing streak at FIU.

After that Mario went 27-36 for the rest of his time at FIU.

Butch Davis coaches FIU right now and is 22-34, Butch won two SB rings as the Cowboys DC under Jimmy J.

Mario was 35-13 the second highest winning percentage only to Chip at Oregon.

There are very few GREAT coaches. Urban, Saban, Carrol, Jimmy J, Osborne, Switzer

Butch and Chip are good coaches but not GREAT coaches, by comparison Mario is a good coach.

Mario's Covid team stopped and then started back up, Campbells team played through. Mario had star player opt outs, Penie, Holland, Graham, Breeze, Flowe got hurt. 

Clemson lost it's AD, OC and DC this year, Mario has the best staff in the ACC hands down.

I agree with you that Mario has his flaws but to think he can't get Miami to the ACC title soon is something we can disagree on. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Miami had the 13th ranked team talent last year, Mario has more to start with than he did at Oregon when he took over. He had the 16th rated class this cycle, not too shabby in a transition year.

He has Gattis the Broyles award winner as his OC. Kevin Steel as his DC and Charlie Strong as his LB coach.

He has a higher rated staff than he did here, and better Lanning has now.  It's a top 5 coaching staff in nation I'd guess, these guys can teach and call plays. 

DazeNconfused..... You need a new name. You seem anything accept dazed or confused! Another great well thought out post.

Love him or hate him Mario can gather talent. If only he could draw up a game plan. He'd be unstoppable! Until then he'll scrape by on collected talent alone. I see a lot of nine win seasons in his future.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:19 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Mario can recruit nationally. 

Florida has around 25% of the top 125 players each year in the nation, go check that if you want. All right in Mario's backyard.

He has Garcia the top 100 QB who flipped from USC waiting to take over for TVD who is the best QB in the ACC this year.

He took over a trash FIU team that had a 12-game losing streak and lost his first 11-games to end a 23-game losing streak at FIU.

Butch Davis coaches FIU right now and is 22-34, Butch won two SB rings as the Cowboys DC under Jimmy J.

Mario was 35-13 the second highest winning percentage only to Chip at Oregon.

There are very few GREAT coaches. Urban, Saban, Carrol, Jimmy J, Osborne, Switzer

Butch and Chip are good coaches but not GREAT coaches, by comparison Mario is a good coach.

Mario's Covid team stopped and then started back up, Campbells team played through. Mario had star player opt outs, Penie, Holland, Graham, Breeze, Flowe got hurt. 

Clemson lost it's AD, OC and DC this year, Mario has the best staff in the ACC hands down.

I agree with you that Mario has his flaws but to think he can't get Miami to the ACC title soon is something we can disagree on. 

Gattis? I see as a perfect run oriented OC for Mario. Steelman. An up and down history as a DC.

Your record is what you are. Bill Parcells.

Allow me to inquire, would you prefer Mario staying at Oregon?

• Haha 1

It is interesting I come away amazed and unconfused when reading dazeNconfused posts. I tend to agree Mario is a good coach, and could be very good with the right personnel. That would include a Derrick Henry type running back, and those don't grow on trees.

My main skepticism is his statement about investment in facilities which will make Miami a program which can measure up to any University. I don't know if he is creating a scapegoat for underperformance or most likely, just telling the fanbase what they want to hear. I tend to think he is just telling the masses what they want to hear because they aren't getting a stadium anytime soon.

I will say most Duck fans weren't too surprised at the, seemingly, difficult time he had filling assistant position. Mario actually pulled that one off. So who knows maybe Mario will actually amaze both the Cane faithful and the Duck skeptics. I know where I sit, and am very comfortable right where I am, ain't going to happen!

• Applause 1

Who knows? The change of coasts may make all the difference in how Cristobal coaches. From a Pelican to a Duck, back to a Pelican. Both are vowels, but O and U have never really liked each other. This could be a brand new football coach.  

On 5/5/2022 at 5:14 PM, Haywarduck said:

He really knows how to echo what a fanbase wants to hear. Best of luck with that one, you don't even have a stadium!

Yeah buddy!

On 5/6/2022 at 2:08 PM, Haywarduck said:

It is interesting I come away amazed and unconfused when reading dazeNconfused posts. I tend to agree Mario is a good coach, and could be very good with the right personnel. That would include a Derrick Henry type running back, and those don't grow on trees.

My main skepticism is his statement about investment in facilities which will make Miami a program which can measure up to any University. I don't know if he is creating a scapegoat for underperformance or most likely, just telling the fanbase what they want to hear. I tend to think he is just telling the masses what they want to hear because they aren't getting a stadium anytime soon.

I will say most Duck fans weren't too surprised at the, seemingly, difficult time he had filling assistant position. Mario actually pulled that one off. So who knows maybe Mario will actually amaze both the Cane faithful and the Duck skeptics. I know where I sit, and am very comfortable right where I am, ain't going to happen!

100% Agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:19 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Wait a minute Butch Davis also coached Miami and went 51-20 with sanctions hanging over the program after Erickson left. At FIU he had a better record than Mario with, of course, a better winning percentage. Butch is a good comparison, and Mario would do well to go 51-20 and go 4-0 in bowl games. 

My prediction is Mario won't do as well as Butch Davis, much like he did at FIU. Butch Davis also took over a dumpster fire at FIU, both took over decent programs at Miami. Davis definitely brought in some talent to Miami at the time. Time will tell who does better.

• Applause 1

On 5/6/2022 at 4:49 PM, Haywarduck said:

Wait a minute Butch Davis also coached Miami and went 51-20 with sanctions hanging over the program after Erickson left. At FIU he had a better record than Mario with, of course, a better winning percentage. Butch is a good comparison, and Mario would do well to go 51-20 and go 4-0 in bowl games. 

My prediction is Mario won't do as well as Butch Davis, much like he did at FIU. Butch Davis also took over a dumpster fire at FIU, both took over decent programs at Miami. Davis definitely brought in some talent to Miami at the time. Time will tell who does better.

Correct. Butch is a legend to Maimi fans for bringing the program out of sanctions., they were down 30 scholies at the start if I remember right. 

He bailed for the NFL after 2000 and Larry Coker won the natty the next year in the Rose Bowl vrs Nebraska if i remember this right?

That was the year McKarthy at Colorado put a 38-17 or something beatdown on Nebraska the last game of the season?

The stupid BCS put Nebraska coming off that bad lose into the Natty vrs the Canes. How do you get blow out and that gets you a ticket to the Natty?

It was probably the year Eric Crouch got the Heisman and then didn't get drafted  

I think the Ducks landed #3 in the BCS and beat Colorado in the Cotton Bowl? That was Joey Harrington team? 

If my years are correct the Ducks got screwed out of being in the Natty that year!

What a JOKE

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Howdy, I am a fan of the U. I am almost 50 and saw all the national champion teams, and I have been lurking for a while on your forum. With that said don't take this as trolling but I think you guys are off on somethings especially the U. You guys like most fan bases talk about how Miami doesn't have their own stadium, well without our own stadium we came out of nowhere dominated college football. We won 5 championships and played for many more. think of all the teams that have their own stadiums and haven't even sniffed a title.

Another thing is the talk of facilities, the U dominated with facilities that were some of the worst in all of division 1 college football. the average division 2 programs had better facilities than us. I am not saying that these things don't help but they are not as important as most people think.

People think Miami has no money , again that isn't true the U has plenty of money and very wealthy supporters. we actually have some good facilities but they are not top notch. That is changing big time. the people that controlled the board have always been the problem along with the ex university president Donna Shalala. They never wanted to spend funds on the athletic dept. including football. As a matter of fact they use to take funds from football and the athletic dept. to fund expansion of the other parts of the university.

That has all changed now. I think barring something that destroys college football like a nuclear war Mario will win at least 2 championships at the U. I think Lanning is a very good coach and you guys are in good hands. I see what Mario is building at the U and I believe that is what he was building at Oregon so you guys should do very well in the coming years. 

• Oh no! 1

I believed in MC until last year when several things happened that gave me concern. Hope we see you in a bowl or the PO. And of course I hope we win.

On 5/6/2022 at 9:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I don't think he will change at all, I mean why would he?  He has been positively reinforced for what he did at Oregon to the tune of 8 million a year.  He is smarter than everyone else, and he has the checks to prove it!

Probably.  But we won’t really know until we see some data points. 

I suspect as much as most here he is going old school Tide football.  Problem is that even Saban chucked that overboard in favor of high octane offense.  

My gut, as with most, if not all, of yours is that Mario is stuck in another era and seems unable to change.  

But I am open to the possibility he learned something from his time in Eugene.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly , he had the best QB gunslinger in CFB, and he’s handing the ball to undersized slow running backs on 3rd and long. The great ones design their play book to the talent on hand. MC operated a pound to fit and paint to match offense starting with a corvette and pounding it into your dads 4-door sedan. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

As an in game coach or strategist I have nothing good to say about Cristobal. Good luck Miami --LOL

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Applause 1

Guest Axel

The only gap that I see Cristobal creating is a credibility gap.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:31 PM, stormrider said:

Howdy, I am a fan of the U. I am almost 50 and saw all the national champion teams, and I have been lurking for a while on your forum. With that said don't take this as trolling but I think you guys are off on somethings especially the U. You guys like most fan bases talk about how Miami doesn't have their own stadium, well without our own stadium we came out of nowhere dominated college football. We won 5 championships and played for many more. think of all the teams that have their own stadiums and haven't even sniffed a title.

Another thing is the talk of facilities, the U dominated with facilities that were some of the worst in all of division 1 college football. the average division 2 programs had better facilities than us. I am not saying that these things don't help but they are not as important as most people think.

People think Miami has no money , again that isn't true the U has plenty of money and very wealthy supporters. we actually have some good facilities but they are not top notch. That is changing big time. the people that controlled the board have always been the problem along with the ex university president Donna Shalala. They never wanted to spend funds on the athletic dept. including football. As a matter of fact they use to take funds from football and the athletic dept. to fund expansion of the other parts of the university.

That has all changed now. I think barring something that destroys college football like a nuclear war Mario will win at least 2 championships at the U. I think Lanning is a very good coach and you guys are in good hands. I see what Mario is building at the U and I believe that is what he was building at Oregon so you guys should do very well in the coming years. 

Back when The U was winning championships the players weren’t concerned with having nice facilities. They came from nothing and busted their tails just to get the chance to play college football. Kids in general had a pretty good work ethic back then, but those players from S. Florida were especially hard core. To them, playing in the Orange Bowl on Saturday was a big deal. I used to love watching the Canes back then. They were like the Dallas Cowboys. People either loved them or they despised them. I liked their style because, as a high school kid, I thought they were 😎 cool.

These days, the kids are different. They want to be catered to and they love shiny objects. They also come from high school programs that have pretty nice facilities. Mario will get the players because he’s an outstanding recruiter. If he can get the facilities then Miami will be a top destination once again. Like you, I think they win a couple of national championships again. However, I don’t the Mario will be the guy that gets it done.

Here’s why. The new boosters/investors aren’t going to be patient with him. If he doesn’t at least win a national  championship in his first 4 years he’s going to get the Manny treatment. Mario has no excuses. He has a top staff and his roster will be loaded. It’s not that he’s a bad coach, it’s that he has unrealistic expectations placed upon him. He’s an average game manager who will have to beat the likes of Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, etc. to win it all. 

College football is becoming more and more like the NFL. There is basically free agency for players and they get paid now. Also, coaches are on a short leash. Big contracts are for championships not 10-2 seasons. Canes fans/boosters won’t expect anything less. If I had to predict the future I would say the guy who follows Mario will win a national championship. By then, the AD will find a guy who can do it all and Miami will have the facilities in place (except for maybe the stadium) to attract a top coach.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Can Miami really do anything but ‘Jump Ahead’? 

Didn’t the “The U’ become part of the ACC in 2004?  Since that time, I think they have the same number of conference championship titles as I have PGA Tour wins – zero.  That puts them in the elite company of perennial football powerhouses Boston College, Syracuse, and Louisville.  Since joining the ACC, they’ve taken the field to amass a whopping 66% winning percentage.  Shall we continue.  How ‘bout a paltry 5 bowl victories (2 while in the Big East, I believe) in the last 20 years.  The mental image of a flexing, angry-eyed, intimidating, Sebastian the white Ibis has long been replaced by the impression of an anorexic, disturbingly homeless looking, white ghost of a bird.  This train could continue, but I’ll derail it myself out of pity.  Let’s just agree that recent results tell us the “U” stands for nothing more that Unimpressive.

Enter Mario Cristobal.  A great hire by the University of Miami.  Mario’s recruiting chops, general charisma, and eloquent behind-the-podium delivery will once again grant Miami access to talented athletes that have proven elusive in recent recruiting cycles.  I feel as though MC has entered the club of coaches that make a program a viable nine win plus player year in and year out.  Given the salary that Miami tossed at the guy, in addition to plucking Dan Radakovich (Clemson Director of Athletics), it’s obvious those now running the show have a renewed interest in winning football games.  Plus, when you speak of facilities, MC had the ultimate insider’s pass to the best in the nation, so of course he worked in UofM facilities upgrades as a MUST as part of his lucrative contract. 

Here's the reality.

Since the golden age of Hurricane football (GHW Bush was President), the gap between UofM facilities and the training grounds of others has become a chasm.  I don’t see Miami drastically outpacing gains that competing universities will also be making.  Keep in mind, we’re all not sitting around going, “Well, hold on, let’s wait for Miami to catch up”.  It's understood now that if you can preset the Taj Mahal of athletic facilities you just may tip the recruiting scales in your favor.  

And here’s the one ALL UO supporters will be curiously watching.  Can MC keep his hands off the offense?  Broyles, Schmoyles, I don’t care what you label the award, if MC doesn’t permit Gattis to do his thing, having an award-winning coordinator on staff isn’t worth more than bird crap on a pump handle.  We (Duck backers) are 100% justified in calling MC out on this as he made plenty of comments regarding maintaining the style of football synonymous with UO, yet in actual football application, he slapped a governor on our offensive that rivals the crawling speed of a beat-up golf cart I used during last week’s 18-hole muni track debacle.  Maybe someday Joe Moorehead can write a tell-all book detailing the therapy he’s undergone to alleviate his recurrent 3rd and 12 checkdown nightmares. 

All things considered, it’s reasonable to conclude Miami will be a much-improved football team in a couple years, but I’m just not sold yet on the return to glory.  MC, much of your team’s success is going to be predicated by your willingness to travel the road you have not yet traveled.

• Applause 4

On 5/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, stormrider said:

they are not as important as most people think, That has all changed now, and 'it is different this time' (my favorite, but you didn't say it), are all sayings which make me wait and see with open skepticism.

You're welcome here and thanks for sharing, but I am just not buying it.

Nice post Jester!  Had me chuckling all the way through!   MC is a dynamic recruiter,  pretty average coach,  less than average in game coach.  We all saw this play out at Oregon.   But  with the recruits he is going to get he sets the floor much higher than where Miami is currently.   

You can expect 8-10 win seasons and good bowl games  under Mario with the upgraded talent.  That's not a bad place to be but it ain't championship football.   How long will Miami tolerate 8-10 wins?  The one caveat to this is did Mario learn from his experiences at Oregon?  Can he keep his hands off the offensive and defensive schemes?  It was his biggest fault at Oregon; he would hire a good coordinator and then not let him operate the offense and defense the way they wanted to. 

He kept losing coordinators and at the time it seemed like they were leaving to get better jobs but looking back on it now I think they were all leaving to get away from Mario and his micromanaging.   He is a recovering micromanager and until he can cure himself of this and let his coaches do their job his ceiling as a head coach is limited.  Wishing

you guys  luck in South beach.  

On 5/7/2022 at 2:28 PM, Jester said:

Can Miami really do anything but ‘Jump Ahead’? 

Didn’t the “The U’ become part of the ACC in 2004?  Since that time, I think they have the same number of conference championship titles as I have PGA Tour wins – zero.  That puts them in the elite company of perennial football powerhouses Boston College, Syracuse, and Louisville.  Since joining the ACC, they’ve taken the field to amass a whopping 66% winning percentage.  Shall we continue.  How ‘bout a paltry 5 bowl victories (2 while in the Big East, I believe) in the last 20 years.  The mental image of a flexing, angry-eyed, intimidating, Sebastian the white Ibis has long been replaced by the impression of an anorexic, disturbingly homeless looking, white ghost of a bird.  This train could continue, but I’ll derail it myself out of pity.  Let’s just agree that recent results tell us the “U” stands for nothing more that Unimpressive.

Enter Mario Cristobal.  A great hire by the University of Miami.  Mario’s recruiting chops, general charisma, and eloquent behind-the-podium delivery will once again grant Miami access to talented athletes that have proven elusive in recent recruiting cycles.  I feel as though MC has entered the club of coaches that make a program a viable nine win plus player year in and year out.  Given the salary that Miami tossed at the guy, in addition to plucking Dan Radakovich (Clemson Director of Athletics), it’s obvious those now running the show have a renewed interest in winning football games.  Plus, when you speak of facilities, MC had the ultimate insider’s pass to the best in the nation, so of course he worked in UofM facilities upgrades as a MUST as part of his lucrative contract. 

Here's the reality.

Since the golden age of Hurricane football (GHW Bush was President), the gap between UofM facilities and the training grounds of others has become a chasm.  I don’t see Miami drastically outpacing gains that competing universities will also be making.  Keep in mind, we’re all not sitting around going, “Well, hold on, let’s wait for Miami to catch up”.  It's understood now that if you can preset the Taj Mahal of athletic facilities you just may tip the recruiting scales in your favor.  

And here’s the one ALL UO supporters will be curiously watching.  Can MC keep his hands off the offense?  Broyles, Schmoyles, I don’t care what you label the award, if MC doesn’t permit Gattis to do his thing, having an award-winning coordinator on staff isn’t worth more than bird crap on a pump handle.  We (Duck backers) are 100% justified in calling MC out on this as he made plenty of comments regarding maintaining the style of football synonymous with UO, yet in actual football application, he slapped a governor on our offensive that rivals the crawling speed of a beat-up golf cart I used during last week’s 18-hole muni track debacle.  Maybe someday Joe Moorehead can write a tell-all book detailing the therapy he’s undergone to alleviate his recurrent 3rd and 12 checkdown nightmares. 

All things considered, it’s reasonable to conclude Miami will be a much-improved football team in a couple years, but I’m just not sold yet on the return to glory.  MC, much of your team’s success is going to be predicated by your willingness to travel the road you have not yet traveled.

Gattis thing at Michigan was running the ball behind one of the best OLs in America. He is not an innovator. Should be a perfect fit with Mario. The Broyles award should have been won by Lanning and if not Lanning by the Michigan DC, who has returned to the Ravens and not Gattis.

I liked Mario in a lot of ways.  Class act, good recruiter and presented himself well as a member of the community.  Like others, I hated the offense he ran last year, but I think his biggest shortcoming was selling us on the idea of recruiting big, fast linemen SEC-style, then getting his ass kicked not once, but twice by a decent, but not great, Utah team. 

At that point I started having some serious doubts and did not mourn his departure, especially when Lanning stepped up.  We've moved from a "just OK" spot to a place we can seriously dream of BCS games.  The test against Utah in November should provide a great comparison between this year's squad and last year's.

• Applause 1

On 5/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, Bruce3404 said:

I liked Mario in a lot of ways.  Class act, good recruiter and presented himself well as a member of the community.  Like others, I hated the offense he ran last year, but I think his biggest shortcoming was selling us on the idea of recruiting big, fast linemen SEC-style, then getting his ass kicked not once, but twice by a decent, but not great, Utah team. 

At that point I started having some serious doubts and did not mourn his departure, especially when Lanning stepped up.  We've moved from a "just OK" spot to a place we can seriously dream of BCS games.  The test against Utah in November should provide a great comparison between this year's squad and last year's.

Great post. But IMO classy folk do not say they are going to do one thing and then do the opposite.

Mario I don't throw a Cristobal, it might break!

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, DazeNconfused said:

The Ducks program was a dumpster fire when Mario got the job. Helf didn't recruit worth beans and if they say a team takes on a coach's persona, then we were soft as baby poo. We are lucky Willy T poached Mario away from Bama to come here and we are lucky Mario got the job. 

Mario was a relentless worker and built a culture where this team stacked blue chips who were down to put the work in to be a Playoff Team. Mario left this team stocked with talent like we have ever has had and he set a high recruiting bar for Lanning to meet. Mario brought this program back from irrelevant to relevant. 

Mario was 35-13 here for his career with 2 Pac 12 title and a Rose Bowl win. Helf has us 4-8 in 2015 and Mario put 9 wins on the board in 2017 his first year! In 2019 Mario was 12-2 and won the Rose Bowl, how many Ducks coaches have a Rose Bowl win?

He put 10 wins on the board in 2021 and had us in the Pac 12 Championship game again. Only Chip, Helf and Mario won a Rose Bowl and Mario built up to get there.

Bellotti won 67.8% of his games

Chip won 86.7% of his games after taking over a team that went 10-3

Helf won 67.8% of his games after taking over Chips team and ran it into the ground with a 4-8 final season and 2-7 in the Pac!!!

Mario won 72.9% of his games after taking over a 7-5 team and has the 2nd highest winning percentage among Ducks coaches!

Those are the facts of Marios record, they aren't open to dispute, look it all up. Mario is a program builder, hardworking culture guy, he is elite in those areas. 

That said he is far from perfect, as most coaches and people are. His glaring weakness is his offensive philosophy is akin to a penny slot gambler who minimum bets. Mario wanted to control the ball with his running game, play solid defense, limit turnovers, run the clock, possess the ball, limit the other teams' possessions and was happy to win the game by one score.

In doing this he overlooked he had the offensive talent to just plain out score the other team, and his offensive skill players felt that wasn't the scheme Mario sold them. Mario's scheme also led to a lack of offensive production and put his defense on the field for more snaps and in closer games than if he had just turned his offense loose. 

The 2019 was a PLAYOFF TEAM and Mario held it back Herbs last year. Chip, Kiffin, Herman being offensive types would have taken that team to the playoffs i have no doubt. Mario BULIT that team and led it to 12 wins but he also kept it out of the playoffs, not many coaches even accomplish that. I give Mario all due credit for thar and all the other great things he did, but he could have done even more if he wasn't married to his prevent offense. 

Mario had the class to come back and meet with the team unlike Kelly when he bailed for LSU. Mario had a leaving town interview with John Clownzanno and that shows class. Mario isn't a bad coach he just has a weakness he needs to see and fix it.

Mario has left this team LOADED with more talent than Chip left when he went, Mario did not fail with his stewardship of this program. But Mario did fail to get the maximum potential reached in his time here. If we want to call Mario a failure, then his failure exceeds everyone else sucess than Chip.

If you want to hate on Mario maybe, we need to consider that Ducks Privilege? 

This is a great post.  There is a HUGE talent gap in the Pac-12 between the Top 3 teams (Oregon, USC, and Washington) and the rest of the conference.  Each of those three teams have more than DOUBLE the number of 4&5 star prospects of fourth place UCLA. Oregon has the most roster talent in the PAC and Mario is directly responsible for that. 

Talent can mask a ton of problems and there is no question that Mario can get talent in the door. Oregon had a ton of issues under Mario on both offense and defense, but a lot of those issues were masked by the talent he was able to put on the field.  TVD is an outstanding QB and he is going to make Mario look pretty good next year. In fact, I wouldn't be totally surprised if he pulled it off next year and won the ACC.  The ACC is in a similar situation with the PAC in that there are three teams with the majority of the talent in the conference - Clemson, Miami, and North Carolina.  Miami's roster has almost equivalent talent level to Oregon's roster, so he will do pretty well.  

However, Mario's coaching decisions and his 'we are going to have more physicality' offense is going to keep him from winning it all.  

This is an awesome take:  "His glaring weakness is his offensive philosophy is akin to a penny slot gambler who minimum bets"  LOL!     

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 7:31 PM, stormrider said:

• Applause 1

Welcome Stormrider! Great points, great post!

MC had the best QB in the nation and didn’t get it done at Oregon, you may have heard of him, because of his stubbornness and his poor game coaching he failed players miserably. If you think the Canes will ever have a QB with that kind of talent well good luck. 

There is no doubt that MC is a good recruiter but if he doesn’t relinquish responsibility to his staff he will have the same problem at Miami. All those 3 and outs kill a defense by the end of the season as it did ours.

Hope the fans in Miami don’t get too far over their skis and get disappointed but I don’t see any other path.

• Applause 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:06 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I believed in MC until last year when several things happened that gave me concern. Hope we see you in a bowl or the PO. And of course I hope we win.

If not in the 2022 playoff, which is extremely doubtful, that would have to be in the Holiday or Sun Bowl. Meaning the Ducks do not win the 2022  Pac-12 title.

In 2022 Miami will lose at A+M, at Clemson and probably 2 other games.

62-60.