idontrollonshobbas

Ducks Safety Daymon David Enters Transfer Portal

JHBP6FJX5VCFLAADPM4UDMO524.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

David had tackles while playing in nine games last season.

Seems like the Ducks are thin on the back end of this defense?  Scoop has played well in practice but is one of those guys who can't shake the injury bug.

This is where we start to see those scholarships and wiggle room open up for Oregon. 

I know a few people were questioning how we could take another defensive lineman from the portal with our current scholarship numbers and well ... Here we are another transfer. 

Just have to wait and see if the coaches look to get another db or not. 

May 1 has come and gone, as has the two day paperwork processing window.  In theory he won't be eligible to play next fall. Strange timing, is there more to the story?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

That sucks, but it's the Portal we have Florance and Tucker coming in CB and the safety Trejon Williams the Jefferson kid out of the PIL. We got talent coming. 

Daymom was 4 star top 247 kid with 90 plus grade, solid rated kid. Think he as from Maryland like Franklin so I bet he moves back to ACC school.

We are running Trikweeze Bridges and Braylon Addison as the ones this spring at safety, tall and long. They say Bridges had 7' wingspan and Addison is 6'4.5 " tall. Looks like Lanning covets that length and rightly so. Daymon might not be a fit at safety. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We still have Stephens, Bennet and Jamal (got burnt) Hill,  Greenfield who was away from team last year and lost his scholly,  plus williams coing in. 7 deep at safety.  gonzalez, manning, dickerson, florance, tucker, barkins ar conrer and the 3 star texas DB coing in Kahil?

We aren't thin in the back end and mostly 4 star dudes, 10 out of 15 back end guys are blue chip

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:25 PM, DazeNconfused said:

We aren't thin in the back end and mostly 4 star dudes, 10 out of 15 back end guys

Not too thin. Although Hill couldn't cover my mom running a slant 

• Haha 3

On 5/5/2022 at 7:31 PM, shawnski said:

Ya Franklin ran away from him on a cross and took it to house for his 2nd TD of spring game. 

I think we are seeing change on back end with Lanning inserting his D. He likes to man up and bring 6 rushers at times and Bridges/Adisson have that size to body up big WR's on 50/50 balls. Bennet and Stephons started last year and ran with the two this spring. 

All i know is I'm not gonna knock Lanning, I turst him

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:31 PM, shawnski said:

But rumor has it that Mom was a track star at Oregon?

• Haha 2

At this point, I am viewing all attrition via portal as good.  

The new staff is implementing their scheme and on D that’s Georgia’s system.  As Dawg fans have noted, it isn’t for everyone.  

Based on Georgia’s on the field product, better to free up spots for fits than for those who likely won’t succeed for lack of fit.  

• Thumbs Up 4

Also remember these are MCs recruits. They are also highly rated and sought after from all across the country.

IMHO If there would have been a portal over the years we would have seen the same thing especially when it comes to top schools changing HC or even position coaches.

Then throw in covid with the exemption year.

I believe it's a good and needed thing for players to be where they want to be with coaches they  believe in. It's their future. 

Everything is good except for possible tampering which is going to be hard to prove and staffs being handicapped by shortages of players or a run on particular position group which they can't recover from.

That's why we need reasonable portal windows of time and the issue of the 85 scholarship limit addressed asap.

Safety and Linebacker are perhaps the 2 biggest strengths of the team.  I think RB is getting up there, though no proven super star...but I think that will change come September.  This transfer is not a big deal.

On 5/6/2022 at 12:27 PM, JDuck said:

Safety and Linebacker are perhaps the 2 biggest strengths of the team.  I think RB is getting up there, though no proven super star...but I think that will change come September.  This transfer is not a big deal.

Interesting take on the RB position. We have a load of RB's and if we get a superstar who takes over early we may see quite a few transfers next season. For now, we have 8 guys, counting walk-ons, competing for one rock. Whoever wins the opportunity to carry the rock will probably stay around, but if we get someone who steps in front of the other 7, say goodbye to quite a few. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/5/2022 at 6:22 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:
JHBP6FJX5VCFLAADPM4UDMO524.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

David ha I mean the competition d tackles while playing in nine games last season.

Seems like the Ducks are thin on the back end of this defense?  Scoop has played well in practice but is one of those guys who can't shake the injury bug.

Well what it tells me about this young man or any other player who transfers out is the coach's know who's gonna play and obviously this guy isn't one of them. One thing to remember is where is the best competition among HS players at? Who do these 4 and 5 star players go to battle against on a regular basis? I mean the talent in Washington is way better than Oregon's HS talent to which I'm not understanding those particulars over the States where these kids play. If were talking about rain well that's one place it rains even more than here.

Back to David is that maybe he's not putting in the time like others are and especially the playbook as I don't care if your a walk on you better know the playbook inside out and that goes for everybody. No excuses remember it started out if you got a Scholarship that meant you got a " FREE RIDE" for 4 years to get a Degree because most these guys aren't gonna play at the NFL level. Now it's just off the charts and I'm just waiting for the NFL to want something done about the type of money being given to these " CF players " because it's BS!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/6/2022 at 12:09 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But rumor has it that Mom was a track star at Oregon?

Naw, she's from MN. Love her, but track isn't in the genes. 

• Applause 1

Focus less on star ratings, which aren’t exactly objective, and more on fit.  Not all 4 and 5 star recruits are equal in both actual ability and drive.  

The recruit ranking systems are no different than the US News college rankings: not mapped to true quality in many cases.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:34 PM, CalBear95 said:

Focus less on star ratings, which aren’t exactly objective, and more on fit.  Not all 4 and 5 star recruits are equal in both actual ability and drive.  

The recruit ranking systems are no different than the US News college rankings: not mapped to true quality in many cases.  

Yep, Mariota was a 2 star on one service, 3 on others.  LaMichael, Kenjon, Kiko.   Many great Duck defenders, a lot of which had good NFL careers.  Many many 3 stars.  O Linemen too.  Look at the FCS guys that get drafted every year, it's not a small number really.  Patrick Chung 2 star recruit.  Numerous DB's.  Helfrich went to Honolulu on a rumor and knew immediately what he saw in MM.  Slash that Heismann pose baby, in the civil war game 2014.  Now, may this staff develop them like Belotti and Chip's staffs did, not the Crisco-bal way.  Talent slippin' right thru yer hands like a cowboy tryin to ride a greased pig bareback at the county fair fun games.

We have all heard the HCs say rating stars mean nothing when u step on campus.

We also know that guys mature at different ages and times because of work efforts.

Some also reach their ceilings earlier due to many things.

My nephew pitched and was drafted. Being away from home for long periods of time was something he could not overcome.

To many variables to know exactly why someone does or doesn't work out.