Charles Fischer

Lanning Mystery of the Number of Home Bathrooms Solved....

I know many were asking this and John Canzano found out!  (I do believe this is an "interim" home until they move into another....)

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

The team gathering was charming. It appeared to feature food, card games and some backyard corn hole. Lanning’s wife and children were present. The scene was really cool and unifying.

It also sparked a tangential discussion in our home given what we’ve learned about celebrity homes in the last couple of years — how many bathrooms do the Lannings have?

Mario Cristobal and his wife, Jessica, recently closed on a 8,829-square-foot estate in Coral Gables. Purchase price: $7.9 million. The new home of the Miami football coach includes six bedrooms and seven and a half bathrooms.

Russell and Ciara Wilson purchased a home in suburban Denver last month for $25 million. It has 20,060 square feet, four bedrooms and 12 bathrooms. Lincoln Riley’s new $17.2 million home in Palos Verdes sits on 3.17 acres and includes seven bedrooms and also has 12 bathrooms.

I don’t mean to focus so heavily on the number of bathrooms here, but I grew up with three siblings (including two sisters) and we shared a single bathroom. A dozen bathrooms feels like a modern-day homeowner flex.

When former Oregon coach Chip Kelly arrived in Eugene in 2007 as offensive coordinator, he bought a 2,500-square foot home for $525,000. After a promotion to head coach, Kelly sold that house at a $100,000 loss and went bigger — buying and quickly renovating a 6,281-square foot home in Northeast Eugene.

Kelly’s new place in Eugene included six bedrooms, five bathrooms and an indoor meeting space where he could gather as many as 80 players for a sit down. I always thought that meeting-space area was brilliant and the most Chip Kelly-thing ever.

Incidentally, when Kelly took the job as football coach at UCLA, he bought a home in Encino, Calif. that had 10 bathrooms and nine bedrooms. Then, Kelly sold the home to Dodgers’ outfielder Mookie Betts for $7.6 million. Kelly told me last summer that he and his wife, Jill, moved closer to the beach and he pointed out “I’m the least famous person in my neighborhood.”

I reached out to Lanning on Thursday via text message. That backyard BBQ scene from his new home looked like rich and connective team building. It casts the entire Lanning family as approachable and down to earth. Still, I wondered, how many bathrooms does the new estate have? 6? 10? 12?

Lanning humored me.

“LOL… 2.5 bathrooms!!!”

So now you know.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ol' John... he always asks the pertinent questions!

On 5/6/2022 at 1:44 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I know many were asking this and John Canzano found out!  (I do believe this is an "interim" home until they move into another....)

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

The team gathering was charming. It appeared to feature food, card games and some backyard corn hole. Lanning’s wife and children were present. The scene was really cool and unifying.

It also sparked a tangential discussion in our home given what we’ve learned about celebrity homes in the last couple of years — how many bathrooms do the Lannings have?

Mario Cristobal and his wife, Jessica, recently closed on a 8,829-square-foot estate in Coral Gables. Purchase price: $7.9 million. The new home of the Miami football coach includes six bedrooms and seven and a half bathrooms.

Russell and Ciara Wilson purchased a home in suburban Denver last month for $25 million. It has 20,060 square feet, four bedrooms and 12 bathrooms. Lincoln Riley’s new $17.2 million home in Palos Verdes sits on 3.17 acres and includes seven bedrooms and also has 12 bathrooms.

I don’t mean to focus so heavily on the number of bathrooms here, but I grew up with three siblings (including two sisters) and we shared a single bathroom. A dozen bathrooms feels like a modern-day homeowner flex.

When former Oregon coach Chip Kelly arrived in Eugene in 2007 as offensive coordinator, he bought a 2,500-square foot home for $525,000. After a promotion to head coach, Kelly sold that house at a $100,000 loss and went bigger — buying and quickly renovating a 6,281-square foot home in Northeast Eugene.

Kelly’s new place in Eugene included six bedrooms, five bathrooms and an indoor meeting space where he could gather as many as 80 players for a sit down. I always thought that meeting-space area was brilliant and the most Chip Kelly-thing ever.

Incidentally, when Kelly took the job as football coach at UCLA, he bought a home in Encino, Calif. that had 10 bathrooms and nine bedrooms. Then, Kelly sold the home to Dodgers’ outfielder Mookie Betts for $7.6 million. Kelly told me last summer that he and his wife, Jill, moved closer to the beach and he pointed out “I’m the least famous person in my neighborhood.”

I reached out to Lanning on Thursday via text message. That backyard BBQ scene from his new home looked like rich and connective team building. It casts the entire Lanning family as approachable and down to earth. Still, I wondered, how many bathrooms does the new estate have? 6? 10? 12?

Lanning humored me.

“LOL… 2.5 bathrooms!!!”

So now you know.

Is this his permanent residence in Eugene or temporary housing. My rule of thumb: For every daughter add 1 bathroom.

Somebody wrote here that he is buying the former mansion of Mark Helfrich of which is pretty big....probably a while before it closes and they move out?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Doesn’t having more bathrooms mean you will run out of hot water more often?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2022 at 10:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Somebody wrote here that he is buying the former mansion of Mark Helfrich of which is pretty big....probably a while before it closes and they move out?

I mentioned Helfrich's house sold a while ago, have no idea about it's availability. 

I know it sounds silly... But think of how subtle something like the house these coaches live in tells their recruits? 

Lanning is showing family and something relatable in terms of home and family life. Not many football recruit out there come from crazy rich backgrounds. 

Lanning still makes far more money than any of us... But it doesn't mean he has to flaunt it. 

Even if he does get a bigger house a Eugene mansion is still a far cry from an LA or Miami mansion. 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:18 PM, David Marsh said:

I know it sounds silly... But think of how subtle something like the house these coaches live in tells their recruits? 

Lanning is showing family and something relatable in terms of home and family life. Not many football recruit out there come from crazy rich backgrounds. 

Lanning still makes far more money than any of us... But it doesn't mean he has to flaunt it. 

Even if he does get a bigger house a Eugene mansion is still a far cry from an LA or Miami mansion. 

I think it depends on the city/town where they coach. Mario, Chip, etc. live in places where crime is migratory. They can’t just pick a nice neighborhood and expect that crime will stay in the bad areas. It comes looking for them, so they have to pick neighborhoods with extra security. 

On the other hand, when Mike Leach coached in Pullman he would walk 2 miles to work every day. He lived in a nice neighborhood with newer homes, but they were far from lavish. He’s kind of a different guy, though. I would imagine most head coaches live in some sort of gated community. Many of them probably live in a golf community or on a lake somewhere. 

If I was Dan Lanning I would buy or build a place out near Walterville or Leaburg with McKenzie River access. However, Oregon would probably lose a lot of games because I would spend my spare time slinging my rod.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, I live in a 7 person household...2.5 bathrooms would be the absolute bare minimum to survive for us (and we do) lol

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:18 PM, David Marsh said:

I wonder.  I'm going to guess it would hit some recruits that way - he's real, he's down to earth, he doesn't think he's better than everyone else, etc.

But others?  It might communicate the guy's not a winner, isn't successful, isn't here for the long term, etc.  I wonder when I see a guy like Sauce Gardner at the draft with all his bling how a $300,000 house would fit the mindset of a kid who thinks he'll be an NFL millionaire in four years (or fewer).

I just have no idea what % would fall into each category.LOOK: Ahmad 'Sauce' Gardner shows up to 2022 NFL Draft with diamond 'Sauce'  chains - CBSSports.com

On 5/7/2022 at 3:57 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I think it depends on the city/town where they coach. Mario, Chip, etc. live in places where crime is migratory. They can’t just pick a nice neighborhood and expect that crime will stay in the bad areas. It comes looking for them, so they have to pick neighborhoods with extra security. 

On the other hand, when Mike Leach coached in Pullman he would walk 2 miles to work every day. He lived in a nice neighborhood with newer homes, but they were far from lavish. He’s kind of a different guy, though. I would imagine most head coaches live in some sort of gated community. Many of them probably live in a golf community or on a lake somewhere. 

If I was Dan Lanning I would buy or build a place out near Walterville or Leaburg with McKenzie River access. However, Oregon would probably lose a lot of games because I would spend my spare time slinging my rod.

Yeah, but you should see Mike's mansion in Starkville! Not 1 but 2 outhouses!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2022 at 3:14 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I wonder.  I'm going to guess it would hit some recruits that way - he's real, he's down to earth, he doesn't think he's better than everyone else, etc.

But others?  It might communicate the guy's not a winner, isn't successful, isn't here for the long term, etc.  I wonder when I see a guy like Sauce Gardner at the draft with all his bling how a $300,000 house would fit the mindset of a kid who thinks he'll be an NFL millionaire in four years (or fewer).

I just have no idea what % would fall into each category.LOOK: Ahmad 'Sauce' Gardner shows up to 2022 NFL Draft with diamond 'Sauce'  chains - CBSSports.com

At that point I do think there is a real conversation about whether or not there is a culture match between recruit and program. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2022 at 7:15 PM, David Marsh said:

At that point I do think there is a real conversation about whether or not there is a culture match between recruit and program. 

That's a whole lot of sauce.

You know you’ve made it when you can 💩 in a different 🚽 every day of the week.