30Duck

ASU DL Transfer has Oregon Scheduled for Final Visit

... Lole would prefer to remain with the Sun Devils but will “explore” his NIL options.

I cannot decide who is the better recruiter....the WR coach, or the Defensive Line coach!  This has been stunning already...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/6/2022 at 9:53 PM, McDuck said:

... Lole would prefer to remain with the Sun Devils but will “explore” his NIL options.

I don't see how Herm survives and Anderson and Crow should be tossed out with him.

Huge # of ASU alums who do not seem to have big time interest in CFB.

• Go Ducks! 1

If Phoenix was truly a mythical bird that rose from the ashes, then it’s a perfect name for a city that has no business being where it is. A mistake, full of strip malls, traffic jams and unbearable heat. A truly miserable place. I suppose you can put it in the nice place to visit column, if your other choice is Lubbock. 

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:57 AM, Flyin Vee said:

If Phoenix was truly a mythical bird that rose from the ashes, then it’s a perfect name for a city that has no business being where it is. A mistake, full of strip malls, traffic jams and unbearable heat. A truly miserable place. I suppose you can put it in the nice place to visit column, if your other choice is Lubbock. 

Huh.  Lived there for 27 years without regret.  You get used to the heat in the summer and readjust life so you mostly go out at night - but we used to laugh at people in other states either waterlogged or freezing their tails off November - April. 

As for traffic jams and strip malls - been to any other city recently?  Yeah, strip malls are pretty much all over LA, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Houston, etc.  And traffic jams?  Try LA and Atlanta - far worse.  Most major cities have serious traffic problems.  Heck, I live now in a city of 180,000 people, and in rush hour certain places are at a complete stand-still.

It's all in what you like.  Many people love Seattle; I couldn't live someplace with dreary drizzle 250+ days a year.  Many love Portland; last time I was there the homeless problem was so severe with so much trash, graffiti, and odor I just wanted out.  Obviously many love LA (I lived there many years as well) - I was glad to get out because of the traffic, crime, graffiti, taxes, property values, etc.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:28 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

It's all in what you like.  Many people love Seattle; I couldn't live someplace with dreary drizzle 250+ days a year.  Many love Portland; last time I was there the homeless problem was so severe with so much trash, graffiti, and odor I just wanted out.  Obviously many love LA (I lived there many years as well) - I was glad to get out because of the traffic, crime, graffiti, taxes, property values, etc.

Indeed. Wife and I are currently visiting places to retire to in 5 years (NOT on the west coast). Amazing people, no trash, no homeless, less crime, and the power actually stays on.

Weird 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:09 AM, shawnski said:

...and the power actually stays on.

Then you'll want to avoid Texas lol

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Water may annoy many, as it comes down, but if the region you live is running a deficit that might not end well. I have no idea how Phoenix and the southwest keeps building in places where there just isn't water to support those who are there. Seems to be the mantra of many, the next guy can worry about it.

I can't get enough of the rain where I live. The best rain is in Hawaii. You can always tell the difference between the Californian and Oregonian visiting. The Californian runs for cover when it rains, the Oregonian just shrugs, and keeps on doing what they were doing. I suppose the same in the southwest, those from Phoenix are just used to the extreme heat and deal with it, good for them.

Playing football in that kind of heat and practicing in that heat would be too much. To each his own, I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/7/2022 at 3:28 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Huh.  Lived there for 27 years without regret.  You get used to the heat in the summer and readjust life so you mostly go out at night - but we used to laugh at people in other states either waterlogged or freezing their tails off November - April. 

As for traffic jams and strip malls - been to any other city recently?  Yeah, strip malls are pretty much all over LA, Portland, Seattle, San Diego, Houston, etc.  And traffic jams?  Try LA and Atlanta - far worse.  Most major cities have serious traffic problems.  Heck, I live now in a city of 180,000 people, and in rush hour certain places are at a complete stand-still.

Don't forget the roaches in LA 

The stuff here is b.s and shouldnt be here. live where you want but keep it off a football forum.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:01 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

The stuff here is b.s and shouldnt be here. live where you want but keep it off a football forum.

I think you make a good point that this thread went off on a "weather" tangent, away from the original topic of an ASU defensive lineman transferring.  That is what we call in the biz as "thread-hijacking," and while it happened gradually--I agree with you that we should have stayed on topic.

But on this forum...we can discuss anything, especially in the off-season when there is not much Oregon football news, and these other subjects are ones of human interest and actually can pull the community closer together by knowing one another better.

As long as we don't go into politics or religion, or slam the current coaches and players on a personal basis--our rules allow for discussion in other areas.  You have seen topics in the past about the weather, my favorite seasonal craft beer, big fish caught, etc.  I actually want to encourage that...

In the future...if you don't like a post--just send me a personal message or a text, or take 30 seconds to write an "Inappropriate Post" report that lets us know you object to something, and then the moderators and I can look at it. We like to keep these kind of things off the forum, as it is a buzz-kill, and privacy for all parties is preserved.

My thanks!

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/7/2022 at 3:57 AM, Flyin Vee said:

If Phoenix was truly a mythical bird that rose from the ashes, then it’s a perfect name for a city that has no business being where it is. A mistake, full of strip malls, traffic jams and unbearable heat

I spent 5 years in Tucson. Don't need to say what the opinion about Phoenix was there. But like Beelzebub once said after a long weekend in Glendale, "yeah, but it's a dry heat"

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 5/7/2022 at 2:01 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I sometimes feel the same about things getting off tangent but me being me I usually post something to get it back to topic or don't read it.

Again I believe we are a community and we shouldn't talk about serious stuff all the time. A little lite hearted banter keeps people more involved and sometimes even laughing at it and that is always mostly a good thing.

If I don't feel that way at that time I just go on to something I do want to read. I believe this way is the best way to handle it for the most people.

After saying all that I myself have posted ridiculous things not above FB every once in a while even though that's not how I usually am

• Cool 1

On 5/7/2022 at 10:01 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Well, to be perfectly frank, this ISN'T a football forum.  There are posts on here about basketball, softball, baseball, golf, etc.  I don't happen to follow those sports at Oregon, so I simply don't read those threads (other than to serve as moderator).

Charles, I guess no more gifs for you - unless you can find gifs of cats playing football.  😁

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2022 at 3:04 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Well, to be perfectly frank, this ISN'T a football forum.

It’s possibly Virtual Rehab for addiction to Quack. 

Or perhaps Charles and authors are the pusher peddler enabling purveyor of addictive substances and we’re just a bunch of addicted users on the virtual burnside of the interweb looking for our next Duck football fix. 

• Haha 2

On 5/8/2022 at 5:52 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

It’s possibly Virtual Rehab for addiction to Quack. 

Or perhaps Charles and authors are the pusher peddler enabling purveyor of addictive substances and we’re just a bunch of addicted users on the virtual burnside of the interweb looking for our next Duck football fix. 

Thank you for the humor!  I gotta admit I'm a "user".🤣

On 5/7/2022 at 10:09 AM, shawnski said:

Indeed. Wife and I are currently visiting places to retire to in 5 years (NOT on the west coast). Amazing people, no trash, no homeless, less crime, and the power actually stays on.

Weird 

Aiken, South Carolina? Fits the bill regarding everything you are looking for plus a low cost of living. Also great if you like golf and/or horses. 

And, no water or forest fire problems. 20 minutes to Augusta, 2nd largest city in Georgia and 90 minutes to Charleston, Savannah + the coast.

Civility abounds. Lots of diversity and everyone gets along. Branch of U of South Carolina so learning opportunities and lots of good cultural events abound. 

Known as "Mayberry meets The Hamptons.' Many the good restaurant. 

The bad. Games start far too late on the Right Coast.

[Send my check c/o Aiken City Council.]

• Cool 2

Thank you for the humor!  I gotta admit I'm a "user".

straight to my veins!

as a side bar, my rant about Phoenix was about football-pointing out a possible reason a SUN devil may wish to transfer. If I stepped on someone’s lawn, I apologize, not for what I said about Phoenix, but the lawn thingy.

all in fun 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/8/2022 at 12:30 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Aiken, South Carolina? Fits the bill regarding everything you are looking for plus a low cost of living. Also great if you like golf and/or horses. 

And, no water or forest fire problems. 20 minutes to Augusta, 2nd largest city in Georgia and 90 minutes to Charleston, Savannah + the coast.

Civility abounds. Lots of diversity and everyone gets along. Branch of U of South Carolina so learning opportunities and lots of good cultural events abound. 

Known as "Mayberry meets The Hamptons.' Many the good restaurant. 

The bad. Games start far too late on the Right Coast.

[Send my check c/o Aiken City Council.]

I'll check it out. Thanks

To say the least Ill say Im confused. so whatever.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:10 PM, shawnski said:

I'll check it out. Thanks

Also, check out Sir Notalot's Greenville, SC. Bigger city than Aiken. Beautiful down town, pristine clean. 

Close to Clemson and beautiful SC lake country.

3 largest exports from Charlestown used to be cotton, indigo and hemp. Now, Volvos, BMWs and Mercedes Benz all made in SC.

On 5/7/2022 at 7:09 AM, shawnski said:

Weird 

Give Tennessee a look. 👍

I live in Long Beach, CA, and don't want to move anywhere as I like the ability to play golf all year in pretty much perfect weather. We like going down to the beaches and hanging out so all good. Also, have great sporting events and entertainment options to choose from.

Lots of people moving to Central California around San Luis Obispo due to less crowds and lower crime rates. Nice area but the wind howls 4 months out of the year.

But to each his own and most places have good and bad to them. I lived in Indiana for awhile and while the weather is bad the midwest people are very friendly. Plus the cold winters and humid summers make you appreciate it when you get a good day.

Oregon is a great place to live and on a nice day hard to beat the beauty. Wouldn't want to live in so much rain but many people are OK with it. Friend of mine is going to keep his place in Tualatin and get a place down here for the winter. Now that's a good idea if you can do it.

On 5/12/2022 at 12:29 AM, LADuck said:

But to each his own and most places have good and bad to them.

That's for sure.  Grew up in southern Oregon and loved the area, but the winter weather and intense fog in that area gets old fast, as does having a small, limited airport.  Couldn't have lived there while traveling 50,000 miles a year for business.

Lived in LA and enjoyed being by the ocean, close to my alma mater in Malibu, and having everything you could ever want in terms of food, merchandise, sports, and entertainment nearby, but the crime, smog, traffic, and graffiti were out of control, as were the taxes and the cost of living.

Lived in Phoenix for years and loved how easy it was to get around, 8 months of fantastic weather, best sunsets anywhere, easy airport, and low cost of living - but 4 months of 114 degrees, nothing but tan, and *&^! scorpions in the house got really old.

Now living in Braga, Portugal.  Low cost of living and a beautiful area, but as a small city it lacks the diversity I've grown used to (e.g. no decent Mexican restaurants), and still really struggling with the language.  Plus not really easy to watch college football and having an eight-hour difference from clients on the west coast of the US is a pain.

Good and bad...

Since this is already derailed, I might as well jump in since the new topic interests me. I've lived in Texas, Oregon, Arkansas, Pensacola and Las Vegas. I've visited multiple other places and while I'm more politically Texas, Oregon has always felt like home. Every year right about this time when it starts heating up in Texas, I start day-dreaming about moving back to the Sisters, Or area. I keep Sisters in my weather app and look at the temperature daily just to torture myself lol. I really love Santa Fe and Durango as well, but Sisters is just tough to beat! Who knows, maybe someday..... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:34 AM, Wrathis said:

......... Every year right about this time when it starts heating up in Texas, I start day-dreaming about moving back to the Sisters, Or area. I keep Sisters in my weather app and look at the temperature daily just to torture myself lol. I really love Santa Fe and Durango as well, but Sisters is just tough to beat! Who knows, maybe someday..... 

I spend a lot of time in Texas as our kids are there, but it's pretty humid and there's no public land there.   We live at the edge of Bend on some aceage, after moving from Eugene.  The weather is dry, air is clean, except during fire season, 30 golf courses are close, and skiing is 25 miles away.  Down side is it's growing like a weed and starting to get some of the problems of bigger cities.  It's hard to beat the weather, except the 3 winter months, but I can deal with it easily over constant rain and constant dull skies.  Besides, three months in Arizona to golf is a good alternative.  And I agree, Durango and Santa Fe are pretty nice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Phoenix always reminded me of some sci-fi story where an alien craft picks up a HUGE hunk of concrete from the midwest and then dumps it in the middle of a desert...just to see what happens.  The best thing about Phoenix is its proximity to the Grand Canyon....and that's many hours of driving away.

I've lived a few places....including Oregon.  Thanks That said, I wouldn't trade the Oregon coast for any area/town/city in the U.S.  We have mountains (wonderful hunting), rivers and ocean (great fishing), proximity to large (ugly) cities, great surfing (the 'tow-in'), quiet, peaceful, and safe towns, etc.  Sure, it rains a lot here (it's only water) but the temperatures are always mild.   In fact it helps everything here grow like a plant nursery gone wild.

Nope, I'm an unabashed fan of this area and wouldn't trade.  In my book, coastal Oregon is paradise.  (I'm allowed to change my mind if the Pacific Plate ever gives way, lol!!)

• Applause 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:26 AM, Mudslide said:

Phoenix always reminded me of some sci-fi story where an alien craft picks up a HUGE hunk of concrete from the midwest and then dumps it in the middle of a desert...just to see what happens.  The best thing about Phoenix is its proximity to the Grand Canyon....and that's many hours of driving away.

I've lived a few places...none of which I can generally identify with politically...including Oregon.  That said, I wouldn't trade the Oregon coast for any area/town/city in the U.S.  We have mountains (wonderful hunting), rivers and ocean (great fishing), proximity to large (ugly) cities, great surfing (the 'tow-in'), quiet, peaceful, and safe towns, etc.  Sure, it rains a lot here (it's only water) but the temperatures are always mild.   In fact it helps everything here grow like a plant nursery gone wild.

Nope, I'm an unabashed fan of this area and wouldn't trade.  In my book, coastal Oregon is paradise.  (I'm allowed to change my mind if the Pacific Plate ever gives way, lol!!)

I'm with Mudslide.  

I was born and raised in Portland and still have a home here.  Different place than it was growing up obviously.  Between then and now, I lived in Eugene, Bend, Orlando, Dallas, Chicago, and in Shanghai, Strasbourg, Luzern, and Vienna.  Work has taken me to 73 countries.

I hit 60 in 2025 and will retire to the Oregon Coast and spend winters in western Austria.   Nothing beats Christmas Season in the Alps.

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
  • Wow 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Nothing beats Christmas Season in the Alps.

Hey, that’s when Phoenix is livable! Just kidding

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:45 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Nothing beats Christmas Season in the Alps.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 5/13/2022 at 10:28 AM, 30Duck said:

Whenever I see a dirndl, I get a memory pang for air redolent with the smell of cheese fondue.