Jon Joseph

NCAA Prevails in Lawsuit Versus Brenner

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0507%2Fr1009371_
WWW.ESPN.COM

Former Oregon offensive lineman Doug Brenner lost his lawsuit against the NCAA Friday, as a jury found the NCAA negligent, but did not award Brenner any of the $100 million he was seeking in...

He settled with Oregon, Taggart and others but lost his case against the NCAA, The court determined that the NCAA is not responsible for regulating practice.

I am far from a fan of the NCAA but I was extremely happy to see the NCAA prevail in this instance. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel a little bad for Brenner, if in fact the medical reports are accurate that he faces potential dialysis and a shortened life expectancy.  Future medical bills could be extravagant, kidney disease and a shortened life seem worth more than $500,000 less a significant amount for attorneys.

That said, I also don't see the liability to be the NCAAs as much as U of Os, and especially the coach and strength coach.  I also didn't see the lack of an  NFL career as much of a factor.  There obviously must be factors present I don't know about that explain how they arrived at the settlement they did. 

I agree that NCAA wasn't responsible for practice, but I think they could regulate intensity levels like they do with wearing pads.

And workouts should never be designed around punishment. 

I'm disappointed that neither coach was held accountable. Who else would be?!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:56 AM, DanLduck said:

I'm disappointed that neither coach was held accountable. Who else would be?!

On 5/7/2022 at 2:30 PM, 47sgs said:

I feel a little bad for Brenner, if in fact the medical reports are accurate that he faces potential dialysis and a shortened life expectancy.  Future medical bills could be extravagant, kidney disease and a shortened life seem worth more than $500,000 less a significant amount for attorneys.

That said, I also don't see the liability to be the NCAAs as much as U of Os, and especially the coach and strength coach.  I also didn't see the lack of an  NFL career as much of a factor.  There obviously must be factors present I don't know about that explain how they arrived at the settlement they did. 

'IF' being the operative word. Plaintiffs doctors are paid to render an opinion on behalf of the plaintiff. 

Read that he settled with Oregon for $500,000.

Interesting that the 2 other guys hospitalized with Brenner returned to the field of play. 

I hate to see everyone suing when accidents happen but the least he should get would be specific medical care for life tied to this accident. 

Each person is an individual as to what can happen due to the injuries sustained from the event.

I suppose Brenner should have just bought a house adjacent to a golf course and sued for golf balls hitting his yard?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1