Vandownbytheriverduck

How Fast Are the 2022 Ducks?

Where do the ducks stand now with regards to team speed compared to previously fast Duck teams and compared to presently elite teams?

Last year Ducks were relatively slow at WR RB QB and didn’t really utilize the available speed of the TEs. 

This years team looks much faster on offense. 

How fast are the 2022 Ducks and who are the top 5-10 or so fastest players and are they even 1st string? 

• Great post! 1

Someone with better memory than I might remember, but I believe there was either a FishDuck article or a posted link in the forum which showed that the incoming recruiting class has lots of legitimate track speed. And the defenders were the fastest of the bunch. I think there were 5-6 players with verified sub 11 speed in track.

Doing a quick check on 247 I see Jahlil Florence 10.77, Jalil Tucker 11.04, Devon Jackson 10.54, Harrison Taggart 10.69, Khamari Terrell 10.72, Justius Lowe 11.07. Those are all legitimately fast straight ahead speed times for football players, especially the linebackers!

How much any of them will see playing time this year I have no idea of course.

On offense the key question is, "is there great speed at receiver and running back?"  In my mind, I think we might have at least two running backs who have breakaway speed we did not see last year by the two starters.

At receiver...I think Thornton, Franklin and McGee are much faster than who we had starting last year, and we saw evidence of that in the second half of the bowl game and in the Spring Game.

My perception anyways!

w1lS3qLM.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

I did notice some pretty blazing 200 meter times listed for the incoming Ducks:

Khamari Terrell: 21.06

Harrison Taggart: 21.57

Christian Gonzalez: 21.65

Devon Jackson: 21.82

Jahlil Florence: 21.93

Jahlil Tucker: 22.55

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2022 at 5:51 PM, AnotherOD said:

Harrison Taggart is impressive in this context given that he plays linebacker...

Spring game saw a lot of receivers behind the D for chunks. If the db's are the faster unit then well done by the wr's running routs.

Cota isn't the fastest on the field, my bet is he makes the biggest plays at key moments for the Ducks this season. Cota and Nix are going to click. 

How many days till Atlanta? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/7/2022 at 10:27 PM, Log Haulin said:

How many days till Atlanta? 

Too many!

Agree a Linebacker with speed is a nightmare, and we have a few. The real horror for a defense is a guy with speed and height at wide receiver. Fortunately a guy with both of those attributes won't be just sitting on the sideline this year. 

Donte Thornton 6' 5" and runs a 4.43 40 yd dash. Defenses better have a safety ready to help or you won't have to look much further than number 2 for the next explosion play. A qb who can throw downfield and a speed wideout is all we need to blow up a defense and open up the field.

Last season he had 9 receptions and 2 touchdowns, along with 175 yds. I look for those stats to blow up this season. He will begin to get the attention on and off the field he deserves!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, AnotherOD said:

Great stats but does the 200 translate to 'football speed?"

On 5/8/2022 at 8:28 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great stats but does the 200 translate to 'football speed?"

Great point - obviously the first third of the hundred is what they are measuring for the '40 times' and I am sure that there is a reason why that's the metric that people choose to evaluate football speed. How fast can you explode out of the box?

On the other hand, I'd rather have some really fast sprinters than none at all!

I notice that Seven is not on any of the 'fast times' lists, but we can just see from the tape how quick he is, and how quickly he can change directions. That does not show up in the time trials.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We had a lot of defensive speed injured last year. Think of J Flowe, J LaDuke and K Brown.

Now add in J Bassa, A Jackson, D Jackson, H Taggert and we probably have fastest LB core sideline to sideline in CFB.

At CB we have C Gonzalez the 2 Jahils, D Barkins and K Terrell.

On offense you have burners in WRs D Thornton, J Franklin, K Hutsen, S McGee, T Ferguson( for a TE),

At RBs S Dollars, N Whittingham, J James.

Yes I believe we have the speed!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

In this article Seven claims he can run a 4.3 40. This would be in line with what a Barry Sanders ran. DAT didn't run that fast at the NFL Combine, but also looked faster than the 4.5 he posted.

My take is Seven is more of a Barry Sanders type weapon, who is just tough to get a hand on. If anyone can have the football speed, and open field vision of DAT, that would be amazing.

My take is we have some weapons coming off the bench this season the previous staff was afraid to use. I think this staff knows speed kills.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:50 AM, Haywarduck said:

In this article Seven claims he can run a 4.3 40. This would be in line with what a Barry Sanders ran. DAT didn't run that fast at the NFL Combine, but also looked faster than the 4.5 he posted.

My take is Seven is more of a Barry Sanders type weapon, who is just tough to get a hand on. If anyone can have the football speed, and open field vision of DAT, that would be amazing.

My take is we have some weapons coming off the bench this season the previous staff was afraid to use. I think this staff knows speed kills.

I wonder if the previous staff was afraid to use the speed because it was all about "toughness"?  I like the post about Mari (without the "o" since his teams had no O) and I'm starting to say Crisco-bal because like grease he let so much talent slip right through his hands.  Good luck Miami

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Barry Sanders? Hope you are SPOT ON my friend. It took McCaffery to beat Barry's 'unbeatable' record.

But McCaffery's accomplishment was not worthy of the Heisman, right?

• Yikes! 1

Holy Crap!

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/8/2022 at 1:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Barry Sanders? Hope you are SPOT ON my friend. It took McCaffery to beat Barry's 'unbeatable' record.

But McCaffery's accomplishment was not worthy of the Heisman, right?

Just give it to the Bama guy because he rushed for 1500 yards.  Had to better he went Bama, right?

• Mic drop 1

Love the speed. Look at the burst half way through, can't teach that.

• Thumbs Up 1