Jon Joseph

Wanna Bet Oregon Wins The Pac-12?

USATSI_17284505_168381178_lowres-1200x62
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The defending Pac-12 champs are not the early favorites to win the 2022 Pac-12 title.

Felling the love for the guys in green and not the guys in SLC. 

I like the odds.

• Great post! 1

Did friend Mike West help set this line?

I've seen the Utes ramked as high as 4 in the preseason. 

The Ducks for a number of reasons no-showed vs the Utes last Season. Ohio State down its top 2 WRs dropped an aerial circus on Utah in the Rose Bowl. 

I think Utah will be a very good team but I don't see it winning the 2022 Pac-12 that should have better QB play from many a team. I think Utah will really miss LBs Lloyd and Sewell.

• Applause 1

Interesting line.  If Oregon airs it out against Utah like they did in the second half of the bowl game, given the OSU success against the Utes defense in the Rose Bowl, maybe the thinking goes that we play them tougher and win one of those games?

Add in KT's comments about the team's lack of focus given Mario's impending departure, the loss of Utes LB's, and the Lanning Era reboot, a guy could talk himself into the Duck's winning the Pac-12 title next year over SC and Utah.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Interesting line.  If Oregon airs it out against Utah like they did in the second half of the bowl game, given the OSU success against the Utes defense in the Rose Bowl, maybe the thinking goes that we play them tougher and win one of those games?

Add in KT's comments about the team's lack of focus given Mario's impending departure, the loss of Utes LB's, and the Lanning Era reboot, a guy could talk himself into the Duck's winning the Pac-12 title next year over SC and Utah.

Crazy? With Utah playing there and after the 2021 mauling of SC I'm not sure I'd count out UCLA? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Also the Utes are at Autzen.

Dang it I wish we could stop having to play a team twice for the PAC title

Sure wish they could find a way to make it so.

On 5/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Also the Utes are at Autzen.

Dang it I wish we could stop having to play a team twice for the PAC title

Sure wish they could find a way to make it so.

Tough to do in a 12 team conference with 2 divisions and 9 conference games.

I expect 2023 will be the year divisions go away in the Pac-12 along with the 'CA scheduling agreement.' The two top teams will play in the conference champ game.

Personally, so long as we have divisions,  I'd like to see all of the cross division games played before the division games. Play Utah in October and not in late November.

I think I like divisions and agree with you on the dates played for cross divisions.

The problem I see with top 2 is u could still have to beat a team twice. 

What about all cross division teams u play are lower tier of the division. This would give more of a chance in my view of the top 2 teams playing for the title but only having to play 1 game to decide it all.

As long as Lanning and Dillingham have alternative plays beyond just running the ball into a loaded box and then throwing two yard swing passes to “stretch the field” we should do just fine against Utah. 

The 2 yard pass on 3rd and long was one of my “favorite” plays (sarcasm) to watch. 

Ducks definitely have more than enough talent to win. Just need the coaching to go with that talent and a QB that plays consistently well under pressure. We will see….

Edited by Drake
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2022 at 12:02 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I think I like divisions and agree with you on the dates played for cross divisions.

The problem I see with top 2 is u could still have to beat a team twice. 

What about all cross division teams u play are lower tier of the division. This would give more of a chance in my view of the top 2 teams playing for the title but only having to play 1 game to decide it all.

It's the 9 conference games, with or without divisions, that makes a re-match odds-on. Rarely see this in the SEC with 14 teams and only 2 cross over games.

The 2 top teams playing are to prevent a lower ranked division winner winning the champ game and not having the best representative in the playoff mix.

If the field expands to 12 with all P5 champs in, as I think will happen, it might not help for seeding purposes but I'd love to see no divisions, 2 OOC games and 10 conference games. 

Winner of the regular season is the champ. Extra bye week instead of playing a champ game. But can the conference afford to give up champ game $?

On 5/8/2022 at 6:40 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

a guy could talk himself into the Duck's winning the Pac-12 title next year over SC and Utah.

Or a gal, Happy Mother's Day ladies.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

The Ducks for a number of reasons no-showed vs the Utes last Season.

I think most people thought we had better talent, but it showed we weren't a better team.  This year with better talent, better coaching and lack of "prevent offense", we should beat the Utes once, and hopefully turn the tables and do it twice like someone else did last year.

I'm torn between wanting to beat the Utes in the CShip game, or $C and start the Riley Rivalry.

• Thumbs Up 3

That, Steven A., is “good-or-good.”

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm torn between wanting to beat SC in the championship and wanting to see them face plant out of the gate.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:48 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I'm torn between wanting to beat SC in the championship and wanting to see them face plant out of the gate.

More "good-or-good"

On 5/8/2022 at 8:53 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I expect 2023 will be the year divisions go away in the Pac-12 along with the 'CA scheduling agreement.' The two top teams will play in the conference champ game.

Great title, Jon, and I'm with you on hoping that next is the last season with divisions. The North has dominated the South and too many times Oregon and Stanford were the best teams but one of them had to be replaced by the sacrificial lamb from the South. This season we see that somehow UW avoids USC and Utah. If that doesn't call for a change in the schedule mechanics nothing will. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2022 at 1:48 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think out of the gate SC is going to Roni Rice?

On 5/8/2022 at 2:13 PM, 30Duck said:

Great title, Jon, and I'm with you on hoping that next is the last season with divisions. The North has dominated the South and too many times Oregon and Stanford were the best teams but one of them had to be replaced by the sacrificial lamb from the South. This season we see that somehow UW avoids USC and Utah. If that doesn't call for a change in the schedule mechanics nothing will. 

And part of this is due to the Cali scheduling arrangement. SC could be playing UW and not both CAL and Stanford, 2 'permanent' cross over games for SC vs the North.

How about we add four teams and have two eight-team divisions, and one the "Surf" (as Jon coined) has the original Pac-8.  Thus we have seven conference games is all and meet the winner of the other division in the Championship game!

SEC...want to play only eight conference games?  We'll play seven with a medium-tough team or two and then cupcakes.  We'll make the Playoffs much sooner that way!

SEC, how would you like them apples?

(Unfortunately, I do not think there are four teams left to create the Mountain division)

• Applause 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/8/2022 at 12:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Unfortunately, I do not think there are four teams left to create the Mountain division)

Call it the Turf Division and it could work. 

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2022 at 3:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

How about we add four teams and have two eight-team divisions, and one the "Surf" (as Jon coined) has the original Pac-8.  Thus we have seven conference games is all and meet the winner of the other division in the Championship game!

SEC...want to play only eight conference games?  We'll play seven with a medium-tough team or two and then cupcakes.  We'll make the Playoffs much sooner that way!

SEC, how would you like them apples?

(Unfortunately, I do not think there are four teams left to create the Mountain division)

A terrific idea! But and unfortunately, I agree with you that this bird has most likely flown?

But a 'merger' with the 'new B12' would set up 3 8 team divisions with the 'Pac-8' being one of the divisions. The Pac-24 or whatever, would its own in CFB and be awesome in CBB.

Would such an arrangement pencil out? I have no idea but I hope before the new media deal is done that it is at least being looked at?

On 5/8/2022 at 3:14 PM, 30Duck said:

Call it the Turf Division and it could work. 

How about the merger suggested above: The Coast to Coast Conference? Pacific 8 Division. Big 8 Central Division. Big 8 Eastern Division.

But that's down the road, if ever down the road; I'm focusing on 2022 and Lanning landing a big one.

On 5/8/2022 at 12:16 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But a 'merger' with the 'new B12' would set up 3 8 team divisions with the 'Pac-8' being one of the divisions. The Pac-24 or whatever, would its own in CFB and be awesome in CBB.

I love that...seven conference games that would be tough with USC, UCLA, Washington, etc. and add three cupcakes and one medium-tough team for a schedule.

The SuperWest 24?  (SW24)

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Wow a lot of really interesting options presented.  In the near future I would prefer no divisions, two best teams play for the championship.  Rivalry opponents (like Washington & Oregon state) play every year.  8 conference games, a patsy in the middle of the season just to rest and recover (sound familiar?).   Down the road, not sure as I'm still not completely convinced the Pac-12 survives.  If it does, Pods maybe?  Not sure who we could add to enhance the conference?  Not to drag up an old topic but it should have been Texas teams that would have brought a lot more options.

Oh and not saying Oregon State is still a real rivalry just feel we got to play our little brother.  Otherwise they might throw a tantrum.  🙂 

• Thumbs Up 2

Let's raid the SEC for Vandy and BIG(somenumber) for Rutgers and make them a must conference game, either one of 7 or 8.

• Oh no! 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 5/8/2022 at 4:27 PM, Quackerbacker said:

Wow a lot of really interesting options presented.  In the near future I would prefer no divisions, two best teams play for the championship.  Rivalry opponents (like Washington & Oregon state) play every year.  8 conference games, a patsy in the middle of the season just to rest and recover (sound familiar?).   Down the road, not sure as I'm still not completely convinced the Pac-12 survives.  If it does, Pods maybe?  Not sure who we could add to enhance the conference?  Not to drag up an old topic but it should have been Texas teams that would have brought a lot more options.

Oh and not saying Oregon State is still a real rivalry just feel we got to play our little brother.  Otherwise they might throw a tantrum.  🙂 

Go 1 off? Oregon vs Oregon State. Go pods, OR, UW OR ST, WSU?

Actually, merging w/the B12 doesn’t sound so crazy.  

You would own ½ of the US geographic footprint from a media perspective.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, CalBear95 said:

Actually, merging w/the B12 doesn’t sound so crazy.  

You would own ½ of the US geographic footprint from a media perspective.  

From Florida (Orlando is now a bigger media market than Miami) to Los Angeles.