FishDuck Article

Oregon’s QB1: Who Gets The Nod Week 1?

So...do you agree with my thoughts about Butterfield?

Snag_2886c8e2-300x300-cropped.png?p=1948
FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks of Eugene Oregon's quarterback situation is in an intriguing position under brand new head coach Dan Lanning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

It does come down to development over the summer, and really through the season. The advantage Nix had over the other two is he has been coached by Dillingham before, and knows his system and expectations. 

Nix not only knows the system, but is mentoring the other two qb's. I look for the two back-ups to get better and to be ready to take over if needed. I think the biggest question is, has Nix reached his peak in development. The book on him, from what little I know, reads, tends to be inconsistent, and makes the stupid mistakes. This is what we saw in the spring game.

The most exciting item about the qb position is the unknown about how a qb is going to react as the starting qb on Saturday. Now if a qb isn't ready it can be ugly. We have had some not so ready for prime time qb's and then some, like Herbert recently, who just looked like he was ready from day 1. 

While Butterfield didn't seem quite there yet, he is the one who seemed to have both the skillset and the poise to surprise many to me. Ty too has a skillset which is enticing, and maybe he will continue to have the lightbulb come on brighter, and illuminate more of the complexities of the game over the summer. 

Right now I still think the two guys under Nix have the highest upside. I suppose this is also why they are sticking around, they see how they are developing and see the opportunity. Will this continue or will one of the guys separate as they get to know the system, and the complexity of being a starting D1 qb. Right now it seems we are exactly where we were when Nix signed on, that is the crazy thing about where we are today.

I suppose the interesting thing to watch will be was Robby Ashford the one who was ready to take over? Did he have the magic, 'Mario don't throw downfield,' couldn't see? I wish him luck, but hope he wasn't the A1, but who is!

• Thumbs Up 1

Right now, the QB situation is looking good. The experienced Nix is in front, secure in his position but mentoring the two younger QB's behind him. Butterfield has been the Third Man but could end up being the one pressing Nix for the starting spot as the season gets closer.

Continuity between the QB and the rest of the team is important but so is getting the right guy, see Utah last season. How long do Lanning and Dillingham stick with the starter if the offense isn't going the way they want it to?

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the question is about our OL being able to pass block versus being able to dominate in the run game like last year.

If as I suspect and OBD utilizes our team strengths we will again be using a QB who can also run as well as hit the deep explosive plays.

In my view that's Nix if he's fully recovered from last year's injury.

Wildcat formation with direct snaps to Seven McGee! Solves everything, he gets 80 touches a game!

• Haha 1

Nix more than likely gets the spot but I think by years end if Butters doesn’t leave he will end up being the guy. Remember that Nix played in a much tougher conference and he has beaten Alabama. I know he threw a couple bad throws in the spring game but he also tossed some good ones and his deep balls have a very nice arc on them making the ball easier to catch.

Spring games can be misleading because the strength of the team is spread around so it’s hard to get a gauge on where each QB is with the ones. 

I think Nix will be fine to start with and if he plays well he is more than capable of beating Georgia.

Thanks Alex.

I guy in the QB room has started 3 games versus Georgia and played in the atmosphere the Ducks will find in MB Stadium on 9/3. That's Bo Nix.

Nix was the SEC Frosh of the year playing under Dillingham. Without a lot of talent around him, Auburn had 1 player drafted, he was having a good season in 2021 before being injured.

Nix is 0-3 vs Georgia but as noted above he has won big games including a W against Alabama. He did have a baffling interception in the spring game but generally played well and 2 of the sacks against him would not have been sacks in a 'real' game.

I also think his mobility will be better come fall ball with more time to heal an injured ankle.

'Transfer nation,' I like it. It's likely that 9 to 10 Pac-12 teams will have transfers starting at QB this season. The portal has dramatically changed QB recruiting.

As Lane Kiffen notes you bring in a QB with experience from the portal and the player has used up his 1 'free' transfer. You also have game tape to evaluate how a guy has played against college competition.

I do think it is most unfortunate that under the prior regime Joe Moorhead had little opportunity to coach up Ty and Butterfield.

If Nix is healthy he will be the starter in Atlanta. Oregon has to take advantage of 7 new starters on the Georgia D and I believe Nix has the best shot at putting up points in what could be a shoot out. I expect the Ducks D will be salty but Georgia, with lots of weapons on O, will score on this D.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I do believe that Butterfield will be a very good QB. He throws an accurate long ball and it has been written that his football IQ is high. Would love to see him get his chance this season. 

During the spring game you want to see no mistakes from the QBs.  However, in that atmosphere, the QBs are trying to allow the receivers to make plays as well. They all threw some I’ll advised passes that I hope are not the norm on game day. 

Nix probably gets the nod at QB1. That’s really just based on the opponent and where the game is being played. His experience is tough to overcome.

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 2

Brett Favre was the very definition of "ill-advised interception" and he turned out to be decent.  🙂

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 9:15 AM, Drake said:

I do believe that Butterfield will be a very good QB. He throws an accurate long ball and it has been written that his football IQ is high. Would love to see him get his chance this season. 

During the spring game you want to see no mistakes from the QBs.  However, in that atmosphere, the QBs are trying to allow the receivers to make plays as well. They all threw some I’ll advised passes that I hope are not the norm on game day. 

Nix probably gets the nod at QB1. That’s really just based on the opponent and where the game is being played. His experience is tough to overcome.

Butterfield’s “football IQ is high.”

How about Nix’s football IQ? And Thompson’s?

I have heard no mention of their respective football IQ’s.

Is football IQ something that only pertains to quarterbacks?

Penei Sewell was perhaps the greatest tackle in the history of Oregon football and I never once heard him described as having a high football IQ.

So, my question: What does football IQ mean?

On 5/9/2022 at 1:19 PM, DUCKED said:

Penei Sewell was perhaps the greatest tackle in the history of Oregon football and I never once heard him described as having a high football IQ.

tripping albert einstein GIF

• Haha 3

One thing we didn't get to see in the spring game was scrambling ability on broken plays. Given Thompson's size, that is something I'm curious about.

He looks more stout than Butterfield. Butterfield looked like the better passer for sure. I expect the threat of a QB running the ball will be part of Dillingham's offense.

Could that give Thompson an edge?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, Wood Duck said:

One thing we didn't get to see in the spring game was scrambling ability on broken plays. Given Thompson's size, that is something I'm curious about.

He looks more stout than Butterfield. Butterfield looked like the better passer for sure. I expect the threat of a QB running the ball will be part of Dillingham's offense.

Could that give Thompson an edge?

Maybe.  But if we take Dillingham's words literally and the offense he runs is indeed fast paced then I'd put more weight on a QB's ability to quickly read the defense and go through progressions.  I'd say Butterfield is better than Thompson in that aspect right now, scrambling is certainly important but I think the QB just needs to be capable of scampering 10 yards to be enough of a threat...something both Thompson and Butterfield are able to do.

Edited by kirklandduck

On 5/9/2022 at 11:19 AM, DUCKED said:

It means everyone who posts on the OBD forum.  We are the smartest in the world when it comes to football.  We know it all.  We have high football IQ's.  Prowess...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I just think of Darron Thomas...he had fantastic RB's and a system that worked then...but he was an effective thrower.  He actually was not that fast, but he had some great runs because he made fantastic reads.  Any of our 3 QBs will run ok in this offense if they make good decisions.  It'll be the good passer who makes good decisions...no dumb picks, good reads in this offense that will have multiple options on most plays. 

Thompson has a magic arm, can the game slow down for him? He'd have adequate speed I'm sure, he's not slow.  Butterfield looks like a good passer and decision maker, like Darron Thomas he could make good yardage running by making the right read, despite not being a speed burner.  Nix probably starts for the next year or 2 because he is athletic, he can throw, and I think his reads will be good, and hopefully in year 4 he'll throw fewer dumb picks.  The experience from playing all those road games in SEC country will set him apart, for now.

• Thumbs Up 3

Great article Alex,

The questions we are all thinking. 

If it wasn't for the portal, I would be very happy with those 3 qb's. But the fear of losing one or two gives the decision of who starts much more significance in our eyes.

What they all need is game experience, and only one can get that. Being able to read a defense at game speed and make good decisions takes game experience. I think both Ty and Butters could be great, but how to get opportunities to develop?

I've always liked Butterfield.

Great arm, accurate, throws a very catchable ball. He can run well enough  (see Herbert's runs in his last 2 games as a Duck). He's a smart kid, and smarts helped JH a lot.

But unless he can separate himself somehow this fall, the start has to go to Nix. He alone has the experience, and hopefully he will make the right decisions. 

• Like 1

I would be very very surprised if the starting QB wasn't Nix.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:19 AM, DUCKED said:

I live in a town with roundabouts, which means you yield to oncoming traffic, but you don't have to stop. Some people can't read traffic and always stop to access a situation before entering a roundabout. To put it simply, a qb can't afford to be the guy who stops when an opening is available. He probably also needs to know how to accelerate out of the roundabout, and I could go on with this analogy.

Something a bit less visual is some people can see math. They can do numbers in their head and it is quite amazing when you meet someone who can do this. A qb has to be the guy who can do the math in his head, and see things developing others can't see. A qb has to know what each player is going to do on each side of the ball, and be able to juggle all this movement in his head, while making split second decisions. 

A qb has to be able to make quick decisions while evaluating lots of information at the same time. This isn't necessary in high school football, so we tend to just look at the big arm, and mobility. These attributes can truly only be seen in live game action. Unfortunately the roundabout and math analogies are only analogies. No one has the perfect test for qb IQ, but you can know when you see it!

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I would also be completely shocked if it was not Nix.  How could it not be Nix?  He has every advantage right now....overall college experience, experience with Dillingham, and experience against Georgia.  Throw in the fact that Lanning has indicated that his top evaluation criteria for a QB is points per possession.  If that is the case, Nix separated himself pretty well in the spring game.  I don't see how he is not the guy unless he is hurt. 

On 5/9/2022 at 3:07 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I don't see how he is not the guy unless he is hurt. 

The good thing is that if Nix isn't hurt but either Thompson or Butterfield is the starter against Georgia means they must have had a great summer and fall camp!

• Thumbs Up 1

Football IQ is being smart enough to know you need as much live playing time as you can possibly get in order to develop football IQ.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, Haywarduck said:

Some people can't read traffic and always stop to access a situation before entering a roundabout.

I live in Bend too. If QB play mimicked the amount of times I see people stop when they should go and go when they should stop on a daily basis then we would definitely have a Tyler Shough-esq season. This is why I have always loved the Chip Kelly version of practice where the QB takes roughly 15 billion snaps a day, makes mistakes but watches tape and learns from them quickly. Then by the time gameday rolls around it is all muscle memory and flow.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Which of the QBs in the room has faced the most quality Ds on the field of play?

I agree. The starter has to be Nix and I hope his ankle injury recovers better before fall practice,

THIS is today's CFB. Likely that Ty or Butterfield will enter the portal but so be it. I think Ty following Moorhead to Akron and getting lots of starting reps would make a lot of sense.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:32 AM, Haywarduck said:

It does come down to development over the summer, and really through the season. The advantage Nix had over the other two is he has been coached by Dillingham before, and knows his system and expectations. 

Nix not only knows the system, but is mentoring the other two qb's. I look for the two back-ups to get better and to be ready to take over if needed. I think the biggest question is, has Nix reached his peak in development. The book on him, from what little I know, reads, tends to be inconsistent, and makes the stupid mistakes. This is what we saw in the spring game.

The most exciting item about the qb position is the unknown about how a qb is going to react as the starting qb on Saturday. Now if a qb isn't ready it can be ugly. We have had some not so ready for prime time qb's and then some, like Herbert recently, who just looked like he was ready from day 1. 

While Butterfield didn't seem quite there yet, he is the one who seemed to have both the skillset and the poise to surprise many to me. Ty too has a skillset which is enticing, and maybe he will continue to have the lightbulb come on brighter, and illuminate more of the complexities of the game over the summer. 

Right now I still think the two guys under Nix have the highest upside. I suppose this is also why they are sticking around, they see how they are developing and see the opportunity. Will this continue or will one of the guys separate as they get to know the system, and the complexity of being a starting D1 qb. Right now it seems we are exactly where we were when Nix signed on, that is the crazy thing about where we are today.

I suppose the interesting thing to watch will be was Robby Ashford the one who was ready to take over? Did he have the magic, 'Mario don't throw downfield,' couldn't see? I wish him luck, but hope he wasn't the A1, but who is!

Totally agree! Hope you are right about the two young guns seeing the opportunity.

Personally, it seems so difficult to just "trust the process" and wait. I really am looking forward to how Ty moves forward, as well as Jay.

On 5/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, Haywarduck said:

I live in a town with roundabouts, which means you yield to oncoming traffic, but you don't have to stop. Some people can't read traffic and always stop to access a situation before entering a roundabout. To put it simply, a qb can't afford to be the guy who stops when an opening is available. He probably also needs to know how to accelerate out of the roundabout, and I could go on with this analogy.

Something a bit less visual is some people can see math. They can do numbers in their head and it is quite amazing when you meet someone who can do this. A qb has to be the guy who can do the math in his head, and see things developing others can't see. A qb has to know what each player is going to do on each side of the ball, and be able to juggle all this movement in his head, while making split second decisions. 

A qb has to be able to make quick decisions while evaluating lots of information at the same time. This isn't necessary in high school football, so we tend to just look at the big arm, and mobility. These attributes can truly only be seen in live game action. Unfortunately the roundabout and math analogies are only analogies. No one has the perfect test for qb IQ, but you can know when you see it!

Love the analogy! Openings are everything.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:15 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Brett Favre was the very definition of "ill-advised interception" and he turned out to be decent.  🙂

Just a tad decent, huh? Lol. We'll have to wait and see. 

On 5/9/2022 at 10:19 AM, DUCKED said:

He is the son of a football coach. Probably knows more than a few people. 

After looking at both Butterfield and Thompson IMO they seem to be a bit too mechanical. I do think Butters is overall the better QB. I would feel a lot better with a Dixon like QB. Of course Nix will take the bigger gambles(and see how he runs) as he should in the PAC. I think Thompson will eventually transfer.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, aheining said:

Love the analogy! Openings are everything.

I get frustrated every time somebody stops at a roundabout when they don't have too. I just tell myself at least they aren't quarterbacking my Ducks! 

The other end is the guy who sees openings no matter what, the turnovers, crashes, don't want that either. There must be foresight, planning, and an understanding of the variables involved. Some just don't have it, frustrating, but true!

You do have the wonderlic test and the scores of qb's. An Eli Manning scores a 39, very good, but an instinctual qb like Mahomes, or Farve scores in the low 20's. Does any real metric of football IQ matter other than game day output?

On 5/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, Haywarduck said:

I get frustrated every time somebody stops at a roundabout when they don't have too. 

As a resident of Europe, believe me, this is my daily life...

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/9/2022 at 5:04 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Which of the QBs in the room has faced the most quality Ds on the field of play?

I agree. The starter has to be Nix and I hope his ankle injury recovers better before fall practice,

THIS is today's CFB. Likely that Ty or Butterfield will enter the portal but so be it. I think Ty following Moorhead to Akron and getting lots of starting reps would make a lot of sense.

I see Ty leaving 1st. Jay already has used his red shirt.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

So...do you agree with my thoughts about Butterfield?

Snag_2886c8e2-300x300-cropped.png?p=1948
FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks of Eugene Oregon's quarterback situation is in an intriguing position under brand new head coach Dan Lanning.

Well from the way Bo played in the spring game I'd say it's his to clearly lose! This could be a very good football team if everybody's heads are screwed on right. I want a Ducks team like the old Chip Kelly days where they knew on whatever field they were playing they would come out victorious. I have to laugh on the Ducks Wire site one of the articles talked about how SC and Oregon would benefit if they make the conference championship how the Big 12 or SEC did it but then when I clicked on it there and behold SC site and of coarse you can figure out what they said.

It talked about SC being the best team and they should win the conference next year and I had to seriously laugh and LOL. That team just because they got Okie's QB doesn't mean squat if your not gonna have time to throw the ball. It makes me laugh how SC now has it all because of the " BAILER " left a better team because he was scared of the SEC. Riley isn't whatever everybody thinks he is as if you look at the past he had pretty talented teams but always got beat when it counted most and even in his league. To me Oregon should clearly be the best the PAC has.

USC's going to have problems mostly with their lines (especially on defense).  While they might have good quality starters on the OL, depth right behind them is not very good.  As soon as those starters wear out in the 2nd half or any of them get injured then USC gets into trouble.

On 5/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

As a resident of Europe, believe me, this is my daily life...

They are all over the town I live in. Same can be said of golf, and those who aren't ready to hit when they get to their ball. One reason why I play little golf. I have to go on the roads, I don't have to deal with people who just aren't ready for what happens next. 

That is why I love to watch sports. When you see a Brock Purdy make the game of football look like fun it is extremely enjoyable. The problem was that was it against our team. I want to again see one of our qb's school another program, and make it look like fun, not some arduous process.

Even watching Mario and the mustache on the sideline wasn't fun. Lanning seems like the kind of guy who knows how to have fun and will bring that back. No stopping, no waiting to figure out what we are going to do, just keep pressing on and enjoying the ride! I want to see the greatest show in college football come back to The Oregon Football Program!

• Thumbs Up 1