30Duck

What do You Want More, a Win Over Georgia or Utah?

A good question? First things first getting the W over the defending champ in game 1? But what about last season, it could be a double feature with the Utes again?

USATSI_18139768.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Which win would mean more for the Ducks — beating Georgia or Utah? Many would argue the answer is the Bulldogs, but you can...

I vote for the win over Georgia!  😆

• Haha 3

Win both. But if I have to make a choice, beat Georgia. Millions of more eyeballs will be on the Oregon/UGA game than when Utah visits Oregon.

A Pac-12 team defeating National Champion and SEC member Georgia will do wonders for the conference. Oregon will get far more of a nationwide recruiting bump defeating the Dawgs than it will get from defeating conference member Utah.

Utah under 'strange circumstances' destroyed Oregon twice last season. But Utah also lost to BYU, San Diego State, Oregon State and played Ole D vs Ohio State in the Rose Bowl. 

Besides, the Ducks can lose to the Utes, still win the north and win a champ game rematch. A rematch vs UGA is far more of a long shot.

BTW, this is the kind of article that proves that CFB has a loooooong off season.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Beating tOSU, in Columbus no less (and first win ever after...9 tries?) was big.  But then losing to Utah--twice no less--was a bummer.  Losing to a top 5 blue-blood is a "more respectable loss" perhaps.  Winning the conference is big.  Losing to GA in week 1 and winning out from there is still a high chance of making the playoff (which could mean beating Utah twice). 

Losing to Utah at home, or in the Pac-12 C.G. is likely an elimination from the playoff, and in the latter case, the Rose Bowl as well.  Even with a win over a top 5 pre-season GA, the early season win means less to the committee than a late season loss.  As much as I want to beat GA, if given the choice I'd rather go 12-1 with the only loss in week 1.

I say, Lanning knows Kirby and we get the road upset for the second year in a row ("neutral site"...lol whatever) and we double revenge Utah.  13-0.  

I’m with you Jon, BOTH

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:32 AM, JDuck said:

Beating tOSU, in Columbus no less (and first win ever after...9 tries?) was big.  But then losing to Utah--twice no less--was a bummer.  Losing to a top 5 blue-blood is a "more respectable loss" perhaps.  Winning the conference is big.  Losing to GA in week 1 and winning out from there is still a high chance of making the playoff (which could mean beating Utah twice). 

Losing to Utah at home, or in the Pac-12 C.G. is likely an elimination from the playoff, and in the latter case, the Rose Bowl as well.  Even with a win over a top 5 pre-season GA, the early season win means less to the committee than a late season loss.  As much as I want to beat GA, if given the choice I'd rather go 12-1 with the only loss in week 1.

I say, Lanning knows Kirby and we get the road upset for the second year in a row ("neutral site"...lol whatever) and we double revenge Utah.  13-0.  

I'm pretty sure that the Rose and Sugar Bowls are this year's semi-final playoff sites. The Pac-12 champ if not in the final 4 is likely headed to the Fiesta Bowl.

Love the take but if Oregon takes the L in Atlanta Oregon will fall off of the national CFB radar. Win in Atlanta and the game vs Utah is much more likely to be of national and not just regional interest. A W in Atlanta also provides a playoff cushion. Lose to Georgia and Oregon will likely have to go 12-0 thereafter to have a playoff shot. That is a very big ask.

If you are going to schedule these kind of games OOC for the money you have to win your fair share and not blow the game like Oregon did versus Bo Nix and Auburn.

• Thumbs Up 1

I will be very disappointed if we lose to Utah. Im also hoping we dont get ran over by Georgia.

• Thumbs Up 1

A win at GA makes the path to the playoff WAY easier for the Ducks.  Reeling off 12 straight after a loss is possible, but is a near impossible task in the pac-12.  The Ducks would have to either beat Utah twice or the Utes once and sc in the championship.  Get the win week 1 and it is possible that by 10/15 there could be 3 undefeated teams in the conf that are ranked in the top 15.  If that is the case, very good chance game day is in SLC to hype the trojans for the natty and Oregon can be positioned to make their run and can afford to lose to Utah and then get a win in Vegas.

Also, I feel obligated to at least weigh in on some of the Utah comments I have seen the past week or so.  IMHO:

1. Utah is not a top 5 team yet - maybe top 10 since polls before the season are just BS anyway
  • The defense last year was average in many ways even with Lloyd.  Inconsistent pass rush, sloppy coverage in the middle of the field and not enough depth in the secondary - It will be better in 2022 and the LB’s will not be the big drop off people expect.
  •  
  • Utah won down the stretch because they could finally score and they bring back a lot of fire power.  I am not sure Utah can beat Oregon or sc, but I am sure they can score on them both.  
  •  
  • In the Rosebowl Utah started a CB that was a RB that had never played D in college because of so many injuries, so if healthy, they will be a lot harder to throw on.  But honestly at full strength they couldn’t have covered Wilson and Olave.  Nix is a huge upgrade from AB, but he will be playing against a better Utah defense.

• The big unknown is how much the emotional lift the Utes got last year from tragedy and how that plays out without that next year.  

I still think Oregon is the most likely to win the PAC-12, but not sure it can be a playoff run unless they win week 1.

•  
  • Thumbs Up 1

We could play Utah in conference AND the P12 Championship, so I would rather beat Utah twice and lose a close one to Georgia in that scenario.

If we're not in the P12 Championship I'd say Georgia for sure.  We'll get plenty of shots at Utah down the road.

I think this is a FANTASTIC topic to discuss in the long off-season, and if any of you would start a thread with a great topic like this?

It would be most welcome!

(My apologies to Utah and Georgia fans both reading this thread and prior ones about their teams.  Remember that what you read is NOT representative of all Oregon fans, especially the good people that comprise this forum.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/9/2022 at 8:32 AM, JDuck said:

Good post. I was with you until the last paragraph……

…….not that it wouldn’t be a wonderful thing!

I just want us to get better as the season progresses. Not sure how that happens with a win in Atlanta, but will take any we get.

If we are talking about 'wants,' just stay healthy, and no key injuries would be huge. That and an improved product at the end of the season are about my only wishes!

I will also say a win over Utah and Georgia may not be all that big of a deal by November. Utah hasn't had an off year in a while and is due. Kirby hasn't had an off year at Georgia, but the season after a title isn't easy, stay tuned. Who knows a win up in Pullman might be our biggest win of the early season.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just love that you want to beat Utah twice.  I sure hope you get that opportunity to play them twice again.

• Thanks 1

Haha I immediately thought "Both!" when I saw the thread title, but of course multiple people beat me to it.

I think in the grand scheme of 'national perceptions' the win against Ohio State at their home stadium will resonate for years. No more the narrative that tOSU and UO have met X number of times and the result has always been the same.

The caveats - Oregon faded down the stretch while tOSU got better prime among them - will be forgotten by most. People tend to remember the main detail, and color commentators on TV may be saying for years 'the last team to beat Ohio State in this stadium was Oregon.' Which is a plus on many levels.

For that reason, I think beating Georgia would be the real prize this year. It will make a difference that lasts longer than one season. On the other hand, if it's a competitive loss, it will at least give the Ducks a sluggers chance at the rest of the season, but then beating Utah becomes imperative.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I think this is a FANTASTIC topic to discuss in the long off-season, and if any of you would start a thread with a great topic like this?

It would be most welcome!

(My apologies to Utah and Georgia fans both reading this thread and prior ones about their teams.  Remember that what you read is NOT representative of all Oregon fans, especially the good people that comprise this forum.)

I have to say that the comments about Utah have been totally appropriate and I haven’t  taken offense to any that have been posted.  If most of the posters don’t want to stick it to Utah twice next year I would be disappointed.  We swallowed a lot of bitter Duck pills before last year! I just wanted to provide some perspective since I follow Utah closer than most on the site.  I appreciate being able to participate.  The posters here really know football and are passionate fans.

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, Goutes18 said:

I have to say that the comments about Utah have been totally appropriate and I haven’t  taken offense to any that have been posted.  If most of the posters don’t want to stick it to Utah twice next year I would be disappointed.  We swallowed a lot of bitter Duck pills before last year! I just wanted to provide some perspective since I follow Utah closer than most on the site.  I appreciate being able to participate.  The posters here really know football and are passionate fans.

I second GoUtes on this

• Thumbs Up 1

After thinking about it, I think that for our Utah friends on the forum like @savagefund and @Goutes18 I'd argue that next season's game against Florida has similar importance for the Utes. For the same reasons I mentioned.

Edited by Viking Duck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/9/2022 at 10:24 AM, Goutes18 said:

I just wanted to provide some perspective since I follow Utah closer than most on the site.

And we really appreciate not only Utah fans and the fans of other schools' input, but the attitude you exemplify in offering your thoughts.

Now, when it comes to Miami fans...

Here is their welcome!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Mr. FishDuck

Given that Oregon made the jump from #12 to #4 last season after taking down the Buckeyes, and only slipped 5 spots after a very questionable loss to a not-so-sharp Stanford team three weeks later, I may have to roll the dice with a week 11 loss to the Utes.

It that were to be the case, I’m banking on our friends from the Beehive state taking care of business, apart from the conference championship game.  Of course by this time we're hoping the Ducks are operating on all cylinders, and that the Lanning Express is full steam ahead.

This is almost daring us NOT to pick the GA game as the winner.  Aren’t you just curious to hear the national buzz that would be generated by taking down an SEC Goliath?  

• Thumbs Up 1

Georgia Win and thats the only answer.

Utah all the way.  A W over Georgia would be spoiled by an L to Utah.  Deja vu tosu and Stanford games last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 10:05 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I'm pretty sure that the Rose and Sugar Bowls are this year's semi-final playoff sites. The Pac-12 champ if not in the final 4 is likely headed to the Fiesta Bowl.

Love the take but if Oregon takes the L in Atlanta Oregon will fall off of the national CFB radar. Win in Atlanta and the game vs Utah is much more likely to be of national and not just regional interest. A W in Atlanta also provides a playoff cushion. Lose to Georgia and Oregon will likely have to go 12-0 thereafter to have a playoff shot. That is a very big ask.

If you are going to schedule these kind of games OOC for the money you have to win your fair share and not blow the game like Oregon did versus Bo Nix and Auburn.

Win in Georgia and probably still have to go 12-0 to make the playoff too, losing to a Pac 12 team later and it's probably Fiesta Bowl at best, assuming the loss isn't in the P12 CG.  Losing to a top 3/defending champ is less of a fall off the radar especially if we play competitively.  One loss coming in the conf. C.G. and it's back to the Alamo, as the winner gets either Fiesta or playoff, loser even at 12-1 will not get Fiesta unless that team  beating us is in playoff (Utah?). 

And the question is, who do you want to beat more?  Conversely, it's the same as which would you rather put up with losing to?  For me, Georgia, as I want to destroy the Utes twice now.  Hopefully they still win the south after we cream them in Eugene, so we get the 2-0 chance.  We beat tOSU on the road last year and it just artificially kept us ranked when it was obvious after a bunch of P12 games we were not that good really.  By December the luster of week 2's win made us look worse in the national spotlight I think.

LOL you were right too much time on our hands to contemplate silly stuff.  September can't come soon enough!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 12:11 PM, Steven A said:

Utah all the way.  A W over Georgia would be spoiled by an L to Utah.  Deja vu tosu and Stanford games last year.

Nothing spoils that Win in Columbus for me; as far as I'm concerned, given what happened with coaching and unused potential, that WAS the season.. for me at least (But I flew to Columbus on a hunch that we'd win a week before watching the Fresno opener at Autzen.  Those were also the only two games I attended.. make of it what you will:)

IF we pull off a win IN GEORGIA on National TV vs. the defending national champions, it not only means more on a national perception scale but as others pointed out, millions more views is priceless in that neck of the woods and would pay exponential dividends, while a Georgia L and Utah W don't = Playoffs.  Sure you can hypothetical it out in all sorts of scenarios all you want, but the answer is a Georgia Win 🙂

• Applause 1

One loss coming in the conf. C.G. and it's back to the Alamo - Too True!

Among many things GK has to work on is the Pac-12's crummy bowl lineup. 

Playing a B12 team in San Antonio is not where the Pac-12's 2nd best team should be playing. And after OK and TX leave for the SEC what will the 2nd or 3rd best team in the B12 look like?

IMO, the Pac's 2nd best team should play in the Holiday Bowl or the LA bowl until the Vegas Bowl deal with the B1G/SEC ends in 4 years. Then have the runner up play in Las Vegas.

Easy place to get to from everywhere in the Pac-12 footprint and lots to do along with going to the ball game.

Ideally you win both.  That being said, I'd rather take a loss early in the season rather than late as you get time to make up for it with subsequent wins (Oregon plays Utah in the 2nd to last week of the regular season, right before the Beavos).  While beating Georgia would come with all sorts of media coverage and glamour/prestige, the road still goes through Utah right now for a Pac-12 championship. 

If you don't win the conference, you don't have any shot at the CFP.  Timing is also a huge factor when it comes to impressing recruits...imo a Pac-12 championship and an appearance in a CFP or NY6 game during the recruiting signing windows would have more impact than a win over Georgia way back in week 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a choice between the same bike, but which color. So invert the question. Which team do I not want the ducks to lose to. Utah. The ducks have to beat Utah.

• Great post! 1

Utah? Hah! Sure, they've been doing OK for several years now, but soon enough they can go the bottom of the Pac-12 next to Oregon St. and Colorado where they belong. Georgia is an SEC powerhouse with prestige. An Oregon win over Georgia in Georgia would be massive. Utah? I don't think about them at all.

4iOZ.gif

Overtime game in Atlanta and let the end result be. Kick the living 💩 out of the Utes. Then onto Embarrassing Trojan man in Vegas. Am I just being greedy?

• Haha 1

First game of the season, against the defending champs; their DC is now the head coach of the Ducks! How could I not want the Ducks win that game more than any game they've played before? So, right now I want the W over Georgia.

But as the season moves on the Ducks need to build on that win. I want to take care of the Cougars in the Palouse, and then I want it to be 1990 again when BYU comes into Autzen! After that, I think UCKA will be pretty good next season, so I definitely want a W over them, take care of the annoying other games, and then welcome Utah, who absolutely left a bad taste in our mouths last season...and hope to see them again in the Championship game!

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to win them both.  However, a win over Georgia, and a loss to Utah is a tad more impressive than the other way around.

Both....but forced to choose.....a close loss to Georgia followed by a decisive win over Utah.......puts the Ducks in the playoffs......assuming the rest are W. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/9/2022 at 4:30 PM, Duckdude said:

I want to win them both.  However, a win over Georgia, and a loss to Utah is a tad more impressive than the other way around.

Timing would be bad. Can't lose late if you are not SEC or tOSU

On 5/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, cartm25 said:

Is this question binary, in that you only get to pick one win while the other is a loss??

IF that's what's being asked, then the answer for me is simple:  Lose to GA and beat Utah.

If the Ducks beat GA, then go on to lose to Utah, that would be MADDENING (like last year) since my expectations would be programmed for the Ducks to run the table in the P12 if they beat GA.

However, if the Ducks lose close to GA, as expected, then a win against Utah would likely mean the Ducks had a near-perfect year and are trending up heading into the CFP season.

Millions will see Oregon take a loss in Atlanta. Hundreds of thousands will watch Oregon defeat Utah.

CFB today is Big Business, The Big Business eyeballs will be focused on Atlanta on 9/3 and not, if the Ducks lose, on Autzen vs Utah in November. 

Take an L in Atlanta then Oregon will have to go 12-0. This is a big ask; especially, with 5 conference road games.

The game in Atlanta and Utah at Florida matters; matters significantly for the upcoming media negotiations

Disparate CFB OOC scheduling is a Playoff joke. 

Play UCLA's schedule OOC and Oregon is on a Playoff roll. Ditto plating Michigan's OOC schedule.

You schedule opening games vs Auburn and Georgia you have to, Playoff wise, win the darn game. If you don't win the game Utah at Oregon will have regional and national meaning.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:05 PM, Jon Joseph said:

First of all as an unbiased observer I think beating Utah is much, much more important for you guys. 😉

Also ,Jon in case no one has answered this yet, and I did not see it, the semi-finals are the Peach and Fiesta this year.  

On 5/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, amcdawg said:

First of all as an unbiased observer I think beating Utah is much, much more important for you guys. 😉

Also ,Jon in case no one has answered this yet, and I did not see it, the semi-finals are the Peach and Fiesta this year.  

Thank you for the correction. Beat Utah? Been there, done that. Beat the defending national champ in its home state? Beat an SEC behemoth? I don't think beating Utah at home comes close? But that's just me?

I just hope for a competitive (one score) game versus Georgia. Then the Ducks need to improve weekly. If that happens a win against the Utes in inevitable. As is a win against whoever is in the P12 championship game.

I'm not saying any of this is going to happen. I'd be happy with a 10 win season and not playing down to the competition. That is my realistic hope for this year.

Edited by DUCati855
  • Applause 1

Must beat Utah, but have a close game against defending national Champs.

We can and will do both. These Ducks are on a mission. Kind of like 2010 we got beat up by tOSU in Rose Bowl. Came next season and we went undefeated in regular season.  I see same scenario happening this year.

We have the knowledge of winning big games on the road, talent, experience, motive (stink from the end of last year), new inspiring coaching staff and the Oregon Way. 

What else do you need.

Go Ducks Fly High

• Like 1

Losing to any one team 3 times in a row is bad for our Ducks. I honestly think we would have to play our very best and Ga lay a turd to win that game in Atlanta.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 12:43 PM, Bearlybalanced said:

But I flew to Columbus on a hunch that we'd win a week before watching the Fresno opener at Autzen.  Those were also the only two games I attended.. make of it what you will:

Book your tickets to Georgia so we can win that game too!

• Thumbs Up 1

All I want is the validation of Lanning as one helluva football coach after the Georgia game, win or lose.

• Thumbs Up 2

UGA!!!@$#!

On 5/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, Jester said:

This is almost daring us NOT to pick the GA game as the winner.  Aren’t you just curious to hear the national buzz that would be generated by taking down an SEC Goliath?  

And what if Utah also beat Florida!

Talk about street cred!

Obviously, that is a tall, tall order.

The best thing that can happen is, no matter the result of the Georgia game, improving every week should take care of itself.

My thought is, what if Bo Nix pulls a Darin Thomas and leads an explosive offense in a similar manner ( most importantly by protecting the ball)?

• Thumbs Up 1

My first, gut-instinct reaction was to beat Georgia. To go into Atlanta and beat the reigning champs on national TV would be huge boost for the progrum, regardless of how we finish the season.

But then I started overthinking it. Last year, Oregon beat Ohio State in the Horseshoe in what was to be the best game the Ducks played all season. It was all downhill after that. And I have a sneaking suspicion that winning that game was the spark that lit the fire under Miami going after Cristobal. 

So, upon further reflection, my preferred outcome is to give the Dawgs a helluva game, keep it close and even conjure up a fourth quarter comeback, but ultimately come up short. 

And then go on to rip through the PAC-12 on a rampage the likes of which have never been witnessed, leaving a trail of mayhem and destruction in our wake. Even Duck fans will be left slack-jawed at the wanton carnage. 

In other words, losing a close one to Georgia and then beating Utah along with every other team on the schedule sounds good to me. 

• Applause 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:53 AM, Bearlybalanced said:

Georgia Win and thats the only answer.

Couldn't agree more with this post. Beating Georgia, which has an experienced and top notch coaching staff, in Mercedes-Benz no less, is, in  my opinion, a far more  impressive feat than winning in the Horseshoe last  September. A win there gives momentum that's hard to beat, last year not withstanding, and gets the Ducks serious playoff attention that will be invaluable if they can win the PAC-12, even should they stumble once along the  way.

I  also believe that barring catastrophic injuries, a Duck  team that can beat Georgia in Atlanta will cream Utah later in the year, provided that they continue to improve, which Lanning will preach.

Having said  all  this, there is the small task of  actually beating the Dawgs.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Shutting up the SEC would be worth my left (can I say that here?) well you know but Utah needs reminded who ownes this league.

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A loss to UGA can be overcome. Utah is pretty late in the year and before the Civil War. It could hurt the team before a visit to Corvallis.

• Thumbs Up 2