Jon Joseph

Another Pac-12 Monday Here in Left Coast Land

5.9-rewind-1200x628.png
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

USC and Washington belong in tiers of their own. Common-sense change is coming to the transfer portal. And more Pittsburgh shade.

Peterson and Saturday Out West do a great job of covering the Pac-12; often with a different take than we hear from Jon Wilner.

• Thanks 2

That is good stuff. I agree with his tiers, though not to the point that besides theoretically OSU, WSU or UCLA could win their divisions. Great take on Narduzzi. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I found the ‘Some Shade from Pittsburgh’ portion of that piece to be the most interesting.  I don’t think anything written unearthed information that we didn’t already sense, but I find that Pat’s verbiage when voicing his displeasure with the portal to be creeping into the childish, and program damaging realm. 

Comments such as, He’s a guy who actually went into the portal the real way, the right way. He had a lot of opportunities with name, image, and likeness, but I think he was looking for the right fit. He was looking for the right personnel. We had a lot returning on offense.” are going to be perceived as a bigger shot at Addison than as a compliment to Slovis.  It’s all about timing, he’s got to use discretion when choosing language to discuss players.  This is a turn-off, man.      

Besides, Addison’s done nothing but utilize a program that has been permitted to be set in place.  I joke about USC being the potential landing spot for Addison, but I don’t suspect them of any improprieties in their attempts to obtain a top-notch receiver.  I really don't.  What are the rules and what are the consequences of NOT following them?  Bueller…Bueller…Anyone?  Narduzzi needs to save the ranting and raving for the NCAA, not student athletes. 

As a Duck supporter, what would your opinion of Dan Lanning be if he was acting in the same manner as Pat Narduzzi? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, Jester said:

but I find that Pat’s verbiage when voicing his displeasure with the portal to be creeping into the childish, and program damaging realm. 

Agree completely. The bright lights and hurrahs around USC and Riley are super annoying, but Narduzzi walked into it with the comments, they don't make him, or Pitt look any better. Lanning has played it cool so far, and Addison could end up in Alabama. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2022 at 2:35 PM, Jester said:

I found the ‘Some Shade from Pittsburgh’ portion of that piece to be the most interesting.  I don’t think anything written unearthed information that we didn’t already sense, but I find that Pat’s verbiage when voicing his displeasure with the portal to be creeping into the childish, and program damaging realm. 

Comments such as, He’s a guy who actually went into the portal the real way, the right way. He had a lot of opportunities with name, image, and likeness, but I think he was looking for the right fit. He was looking for the right personnel. We had a lot returning on offense.” are going to be perceived as a bigger shot at Addison than as a compliment to Slovis.  It’s all about timing, he’s got to use discretion when choosing language to discuss players.  This is a turn-off, man.      

Besides, Addison’s done nothing but utilize a program that has been permitted to be set in place.  I joke about USC being the potential landing spot for Addison, but I don’t suspect them of any improprieties in their attempts to obtain a top-notch receiver.  I really don't.  What are the rules and what are the consequences of NOT following them?  Bueller…Bueller…Anyone?  Narduzzi needs to save the ranting and raving for the NCAA, not student athletes. 

As a Duck supporter, what would your opinion of Dan Lanning be if he was acting in the same manner as Pat Narduzzi? 

Of course we wouldn't have a problem if Lanning was doing the same thing.

As far I know, no rules have been broken. And the insinuation that tampering was involved may or may not be true, but there is myriad ways to tamper and stay within accepted guidelines.

All these top players know each other from camps and all-star games and I'm sure the recruiting among players is rampant.

And then of course you have the "representatives" wooing players with the promise of big NIL bucks, and that is only going to become more prevalent........until the NCAA funds a way to reign it in.

Lincoln Riley is smart.  He has used the portal very effectively in the hope of turning things around at USC in year one. USC has big bucks, and with Riley taking over those big money donors are no longer reluctant to open their wallets.

Oregon, fortunately, is able to compete with the big spenders.

The rivalry is heating up once again and that's good for the Ducks, Trojans, and perhaps most of all the Pac-12.

On 5/9/2022 at 4:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

No restriction on free agency.

Isn't there a limit (of one) to how many times you can transfer through the portal without losing a year of eligibility or having to sit a year? I see a maximum of two transfers... once through the portal at any time, and a second only if you are a graduate transfer.

The guys who have "portalled out" early and are unhappy with where they moved to are stuck.  This might make others think twice about using the portal as an easy out. I think people will be more careful in the future. Another factor is if scholarship athletes lose their scholarships because no one picks them up will give athletes pause when they hear how common this is????

I believe today the NCAA came out to say they will be looking at tampering by boosters especially if they are recruits. They still have rules on the books that will be the same for NIL impropriety.

I saw somewhere on the net that there was a report by USC backers on YouTube stating they had a NIL deal set up with Addison before he even put his name in the portal.. If so that's a provable infraction. I believe this is what Narduzzi was complaining about.