30Duck

Seven Predictions for Oregon in 2022

None of them would fall in the Bold category, and at least a couple are underwhelming.

USATSI_17145274_168381178_lowres-1200x62
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

It’s talkin’ season, which means it’s time to make some predictions. We begin with Oregon.

Say it's so, 30Duck.

He makes a great point about a week 1 loss. If it's not close, the pundits will write us off as not ready, young coach, etc.

Look what was said about Clemson. 

Remember Chip's first year as head coach? A loss at Boise, but we finished great.

Personally, if we don't suffer major injuries in the fall, I see game #1 against Georgia as being VERY entertaining!

Edited by DanLduck

On 5/10/2022 at 12:51 PM, DanLduck said:

Remember Chip's first year as head coach? A loss at Boise, but we finished great.

That opening was as bad as it could get. Who knew from that game that Oregon would be the team to unleash an offense that would revolutionize football, and that was against Boise State, not the defending champ at a "neutral field"

I feel like the longer the game stays competitive the better Oregon looks, the worse Georgia looks. -15 Georgia is the line right now.  Oregon is breaking in a new QB, a new HC, a new DC, a new OC. The players will be adjusting to new roles. Georgia is the team with the pressure on it.

• Like 1

I think his point is exactly why Nix, was picked up and will start against Georgia. Maybe after the game we will see a shift to one of the new guys, maybe. Georgia not only won that game, but they destroyed DJ for the rest of the season. I think DJ saw the Georgia defense coming the rest of the season, and Lanning doesn't want a rookie having to go against what he knows is coming.

I don't think this pundit took the statistic of AB far enough. Our downfield production was anemic, but there were signs of the potential beyond Seven. I will pound the table on Dont'e, again, he will light up college football, along with some other very capable downfield threats. Our passing game will be back, which will also ignite our running game. 

As long as we don't lose the turnover battle by a wide margin we will stay in the Georgia game. I also like his take on the game against Utah. After we thump the dawgs, Thanksgiving will come early at Autzen. It will be well attended with plenty of stuffing on defense and surprising dishes on offense against the Utes. The last game against the beavs will be a test for Lanning not to have a let down game. The beavs will be ready to make their season by knocking off our Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/11/2022 at 7:24 AM, Haywarduck said:

I will pound the table on Dont'e, again, he will light up college football

Completely agree. Some are excited about 6'5" Kyle Kasper joining us, but Thornton is 6'5" as well and experienced.  I'm thinking that he could be the downfield threat that scores some, but opens up all the other passing routes for others.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Kudos to the writer for generating an innovative list instead of writing the traditional, “How many wins?” piece.  Here’s my takes, on his takes.

Nauseating game 1 reaction – If Oregon isn’t in the game at the start of the 4th quarter, this is definitely happening.

Vert. Passing game – Nice use of stats to make a case - I’m in on this one.

Seven McGee 750 receiving – Very plausible.  He's going to be the recipient of underneath crossing routes and quick screens, of which he'll pop a couple, to help pad the stats. 

Noah Sewell to 10 pick – Nope.  And that’s no slight to his performance, it’s just understanding how the NFL values the position.  The last 5 years’ worth of top ten picks have netted 6 LB’s, and only one in the last three draft classes.  You know at least 2 of the top 10 picks in 2023 will be QB’s.

Top 25 DSilently the best prediction to ponder.  I’m skeptical of this taking place but don’t think it’s out of the question either. 

Oregon reaches 8-1 – No.  Oregon exits September with a 2-2 record.

Revenge on the 19th – Presently doubting this one, but just like everyone else, my opinion could waffle a few times prior to that meeting.   

On 5/12/2022 at 8:12 AM, Jester said:

Oregon reaches 8-1 – No.  Oregon exits September with a 2-2 record.

Revenge on the 19th – Presently doubting this one, but just like everyone else, my opinion could waffle a few times prior to that meeting.   

I'm with you on everything but the last two. I'm going 3-1, and doubting maybe, but more and more Oregon was just a mess when the Utah games were being played last season that I take less from them now, and it's Utah at Autzen in a big game at the end of the season. Corso and The Duck will hug on GameDay and the Ducks will beat the Utes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2022 at 12:44 PM, 30Duck said:

I'm with you on everything but the last two. I'm going 3-1, and doubting maybe, but more and more Oregon was just a mess when the Utah games were being played last season that I take less from them now, and it's Utah at Autzen in a big game at the end of the season. Corso and The Duck will hug on GameDay and the Ducks will beat the Utes.

I think your take on this is consistent with most of the Oregon faithful, and I hope you are correct.

You can tell I'm really non-committal on the Utah game as I left the door open to flip my stance on the outcome.  I know, that's cheating.  Thus far DL's done nothing but install confidence but I just keeping reminding myself that he is a first year head coach, there is a new coaching staff, and add to that scheme changes that would challenge the learning curve of any team.  Can the players grasp the system enough to "play fast"?    

• Thumbs Up 1