Charles Fischer

Josh Pate Recruiting Assertion: Just How True IS THIS?

Think about this one....has the CFB world so changed?   Coaching and recruiting...which is the chicken and which is the egg?

Mr. FishDuck

I think Chip Kelly during his Oregon years is probably the last great head coach who could win through xs and os rather than raw recruits ... But they still had some amazing players that changed Oregon for the better. 

We can all make the argument that Oregon should have beat Auburn in 2010 because of the way that game was called. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think it's going to depend on what the meaning of elite is.

Coaching teams that are in contention for national championships probably does require exceptional recruiters, although you might say that some schools (Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State?) are such destinations that a lesser recruiter could still attract top classes.

You will also have coaches like Whittingham who are probably never going to be seen as top recruiters, but who regularly develop teams with mostly middle of the road talent into very successful teams. If getting a national championship is the only yardstick, it eliminates a lot of coaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't consider Jimbo Fisher Elite and they just had the #1 class with 8 kids who are 5 stars and a bunch other top 100 kids. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but our football chief of staff Malchow was at Texas AnM  last year and was hands on with the recruiting supervision of the staff? Some schools have a guy watching the Portal daily for two years now. 

I think Lanning and his staff are good recruiters, but I think Malchow/recruiting coordinator staff make the game plan for Lanning to oversee. 

I think going forward what makes a HC and Elite recruiter will be the Recruiting Staff he has, that can set up the game plan for the entire coaching staff to execute. 

Lanning will also use some of the Georgia recruiting style, marry it with Malchow and I expect the 2024 class is going to be amazing as they have 2 years to build relationships with recruits.

The wildcard is also NIL and how loose it gets to be ran.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:19 PM, Viking Duck said:

Coaching teams that are in contention for national championships probably does require exceptional recruiters, although you might say that some schools (Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State?) are such destinations that a lesser recruiter could still attract top classes.

You will also have coaches like Whittingham who are probably never going to be seen as top recruiters, but who regularly develop teams with mostly middle of the road talent into very successful teams. If getting a national championship is the only yardstick, it eliminates a lot of coaches.

Great points. When Helton was at USC, we saw that Destination schools aren't coach proof, recruiting did go down at SC, especially from their own backyard. Also, is Cristobal's recruiting magic muted a bit when he's in an area now where more 4's and 5's are plentiful than when he was at Oregon? Smith at OS gets the "do more with less" tag. But would he get more and do more if he was at a bigger school? 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t see any change.  In the last 20 years, when was the last time a national champion wasn’t full of elite recruits?

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed. There's been no championships without the over 50% blue chip 4* and 5* players ratio since we installed the playoffs in "14". Don't know before then but it's probably the same.

• Thumbs Up 1