Charles Fischer

Whoa! Oklahoma's Venables Says about the Lincoln Riley Culture: 'We're Starting Over'

“We’re stripping this bad boy down to the studs.”  “I saw too much casualness, if you will,” 

usatsi_18156887.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

OU's new head coach knew he needed to establish a new culture in Norman from the moment he was hired on to the job by Joe Castiglione.

Mr. FishDuck

Makes Riley the perfect for for USC if that's the case. They have been supremely casual culturally there for as long as I can remember. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 5/11/2022 at 8:39 PM, David Marsh said:

They have been supremely casual culturally there for as long as I can remember. 

Completely agree. Carroll's USC teams were casual, but they won. Helton was casual, and they lost. So far intense doesn't apply to Riley. 

Mostly casual since the "Student Body Right". "Student Body Left".  Tailback U up the middle days of John Robinson. 

The next few years will be interesting with a remake at the top in the PAC.

On 5/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, 30Duck said:

So far intense doesn't apply to Riley. 

It all depends... I would say Lanning is pretty casual and relaxed when talking to the media, by comparison Cristobal and Kelly certainly are not. However, you also get a sense that in terms of how the program is run and what the culture looks like under Lanning that it is regulated and focused in it's desired outcomes and expectations. 

On 5/12/2022 at 2:06 PM, David Marsh said:

It all depends... I would say Lanning is pretty casual and relaxed when talking to the media, by comparison Cristobal and Kelly certainly are not.

As LaMichael used to say, most definitely. Cristobal was definitely intense, and that did not make him a great in-game coach. So, it's hard to say what Venables is really getting at. Carroll had a very loose appearance on the field during games, and it seems usually during practices.

Saban doesn't appear to be "cool & casual" during games. If Lanning has role models, they'd probably be Smart and Saban and that should work. Bobby Bowden was as cool as could be. 

Venables is a quick study how to feed red meat to his base. I take what he said with a grain of salt.

It's easy to crap on the last guy, I haven't heard any of that out of Lanning. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Lanning was probably licking his chops when he saw the talent in Eugene. The cupboard wasn’t left totally bare.

• Thumbs Up 1

If a major part of Riley’s success at Oklahoma was the strength of it’s bedrock culture which Venables all but says he road into the ground, then it’s going to be interesting to watch how he deals with a culture that in recent years has been dominate through the first 5 minutes of the 1st quarter. Sooner or later, Riley may have to pay the piper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oklahoma played a lot of close games they should have blown out and lost a couple when it got tough. I think it is a valid observation to say Oklahoma had a casualness to its program.

Riley is now head coach at the University of Southern Cali Casualness, he will fit right in. Where talent goes to be respected, underperform and sadly never reach its potential. 

• Applause 1