FishDuck Article

Order is Restored: Oregon Wins Mens/Womens Pac-12 T&F Championships…Again

A great article by Bruce Nelson that informs and celebrates Oregon re-ascendance again to the top of Track!

Men-and-Women-win-Pac12s_Oregon-Track-Tw
FISHDUCK.COM

The Men and Women of Oregon crushed the rest of the conference in this past weekend's Track and Field Championships. While the women seemed a lock going into...

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Eugene, Track Town USA!  Thanks for the summary Bruce.  It's good to hear about the men's and women's success!

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice article Bruce....Hayward is going to be a tough place for other squads to win.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the article Bruce!  Kind of makes me wonder how much of a home field advantage the new Hayward facilities provide?  

I is a truly awesome facility.  We know it is going to draw in the best athletes, making the future brighter than ever!  Go Ducks!

• Cool 1

In addition to that, I think the football and track & field departments have barely scratched the surface at how to take advantage of this new facility as a mutual recruiting tool.

Edited by Washington Waddler
Grammar
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 5/16/2022 at 7:50 AM, PittDuck said:

Thanks for the article Bruce!  Kind of makes me wonder how much of a home field advantage the new Hayward facilities provide?  

I is a truly awesome facility.  We know it is going to draw in the best athletes, making the future brighter than ever!  Go Ducks!

You're welcome and it's always a pleasure to write about and promote Duck track and field. 

I believe Hayward presents a huge advantage to athletes coming down the home stretch and fighting off opponents as the Duck faithful rise and cheer.  Also, the energetic hand clapping for Duck field event competitors says, "We care!"  Longtime A&M coach Pat Henry has been whining for years about the unfair advantage presented by Hayward; otoh, he whines about most everything.

Edited by Bruce3404

On 5/16/2022 at 8:25 AM, Washington Waddler said:

In addition to that, I think the football and track & field departments have barely scratched the surface at how to take advantage this new facility as a mutual recruiting tool.

Agreed.  We need to get more footballers out there and I do think it's a great recruiting tool to allow athletes to compete in both sports. 

Two time Olympic finalist Devon Allen would be the prime example and I'd also note how well De'Anthony Thomas did on the track.  Anyone remember his score against Kansas State in the 2013 Fiesta Bowl when he did a track lean as he crossed the goal line?  The Ducks have FIVE recruits who could have scored in the conference meet and Khamari Terrell's personal best would have WON the 400m. 

The rigors of Spring practice do present an obstacle for outdoor track as does the bowl season for indoor track, but with the right level of co-operation between Lanning and Johnson, the Ducks probably have more scoring potential from football players than any other team in the country.  And it doesn't cost the track squad one of their very limited scholarships.

Edited by Bruce3404
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I understand the scholarship limitations for T&F and the greater point production you get from the sprints and jumps however Duck history is built on distance running and it was sad to see the dearth of contenders in the middle and longer distances.  Equally disappointing to see UW supplanting the UO as the school of choice for distance runners.  Have to credit former UO coaches Andy and Maurica Powell for the fine job they’re doing in Seattle..

Edited by Orebcker

On 5/16/2022 at 12:02 PM, Orebcker said:

I understand the scholarship limitations for T&F and the greater point production you get from the sprints and jumps however Duck history is built on distance running and it was sad to see the dearth of contenders in the middle and longer distances.  Equally disappointing to see UW supplanting the UO as the school of choice for distance runners.  Have to credit former UO coaches Andy and Maurica Powell for the fine job they’re doing in Seattle..

I'll agree that the Powell's ramped it up this outdoor season, but heavily distance-oriented teams don't win titles outdoors.  An easy example would be last year's Duck team with probably the two best middle distance/distance runners in the country.  While that team finished 2nd, they were 30 points behind sprint power LSU, a team which scored zero points above 400m.   

The Powell's have yet to finish in the top 10 indoors or out and this year they project to finish out of the NCAA top 10, despite their excellent Pac 12 showing.  After poaching half a dozen Duck distance runners in 2018, only one of those ever scored an NCAA point while several never performed as well as they did at Oregon.  In fact, the UW men under the Powell's have scored a total of 7 points in TWO NCAA outdoor meets, finishing 50th and 46th and the women slightly better with 17th and 19th place finishes.

As I mentioned, Oregon is built to win national championships and while we all miss the glory days of distance domination, I think coach Johnson has taken the right path and his results back up the excellent job he's done.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 1

Order is Restored: Oregon Wins Mens/Womens Pac-12 T&F Championships…Again Still...

There, I fixed it... LOL!!

Thanks Bruce, for an excellent article and the great news regarding our Track and Field Athletes!

Go Ducks!!

Edited by olcodgerduck
  • Go Ducks! 1

Excited to see what they can accomplish at Nationals.

Still not used to seeing the new Hayward field. What a tremendous venue. The city of Eugene benefits so dramatically from just the sporting venues around campus. U of O’s sports complexes are like Disneyland for athletes and fans. 

I guess Hayward is so nice that they had to tear down and rebuild the Walton and Hamilton dorms…Crane in the picture of track team…lol

Edited by Drake