Steven A

NIL World--It's a Full-Blown Race to the Bottom Now

Missouri's legislature has just sent a bill to the Governor to allow any athletic department official -- including coaches -- to assist with NIL deals.

It seems the first tenet of the NCAA's interim [NIL] policy is you have to follow your state's law. That would suggest, if a state gives the ability to do that, the NCAA doesn't have any ability to enforce any restrictions.

So, existing laws in Louisiana and Illinois are undergoing amendment conversions that would allow booster involvement.  

As the article states, "it's a race to the bottom...."

BB1gPtUP.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l
WWW.MSN.COM

Enforcing its updated rules will be a tall task for the NCAA

The only way any of this gets addressed is by Congress.  Hope it's not a political statement to say I generally want gov't to stay out of stuff like this, but this is increasingly just complete chaos.

• Applause 1

They say 'out of chaos come clarity.' The problem is the clarity may not be what we want to see!

On 5/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Haywarduck said:

They say 'out of chaos come clarity.' The problem is the clarity may not be what we want to see!

Order never comes from chaos.

There will be no clarity.

Particularly if you expect congress to competently do something. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

I believe that by being a part of the NCAA you have to abide by their laws and rules no matter what an individual state say are it's laws.

The way I understand it the current rules say you can not affect the choice of player of where he goes to school especially HS recruits. Once they decide then the old rules are gone due to the Supreme Court at the current time.

At least it is something and the NCAA does intend to enforce it.

Edited by Duck 1972
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm still too young at the ripening age of 42 to fully appreciate the civility of an even playing field, but I look at the NIL platform, and then I look at who our biggest booster is. Nike is the Crown Jewel brand of all sports, and we have their money. We should be doing cartwheels and fist pumps 24/7! We won! Am I right? Guys? Hello? 

newwww.gif

On 5/16/2022 at 3:41 PM, 2002duck said:

Maybe I'm still too young at the ripening age of 42 to fully appreciate the civility of an even playing field, but I look at the NIL platform, and then I look at who our biggest booster is. Nike is the Crown Jewel brand of all sports, and we have their money. We should be doing cartwheels and fist pumps 24/7! We won! Am I right? Guys? Hello? 

newwww.gif

I don't see Nike doing much with HS kids directly. Also, Nike does LOTS of other schools too.

The NIL revenue will come from other boosters.

Nike did something with Kayvon, but that was unique. 

Their big influence will be in connections with other businesses and their expertise in marketing. 

Indeed, a race to the bottom. Sigh. When SCOTUS made the decision to side with just the ‘athlete’’ part of the ‘student-athlete’ equation, they put us all on a road that will just have to run it’s course. 

Like Winston Churchill once said,  “If you are going through hell, keep going.”

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 5/16/2022 at 3:50 PM, DanLduck said:

I don't see Nike doing much with HS kids directly.

It doesn't need to be Nike. It can just be Phil Knight himself.  

On 5/16/2022 at 1:50 PM, Haywarduck said:

I think it's actually "out of chaos comes order".  It's a process, and one that doesn't end well in the physical world and perhaps collegiate sports, as well.  In physics it's Big Bang (chaos - NIL) leading eventually to the coalescence of matter in galaxies, planets, etc. (order - gov't/NCAA rules)....which eventually leads to maximum, boring homogeneity and randomness (entropy - all teams are completely matched).  Science has cogitated for decades on how to reverse entropy.  And now college football gets its shot.  🤔

• Thumbs Up 1

I just now saw this from a 5/9/22 article.  

Member schools received new guidelines Monday saying that boosters or collectives who contact recruits or sign athletes to contracts that are contingent upon a player's attendance at a particular school are breaking NCAA rules.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0509%2Fr1010720_
WWW.ESPN.COM

The NCAA's Division I Board of Directors on Monday published new name, image and likeness guidelines to clarify that boosters should not have any contact with prospective college athletes, their...

Interesting...  A booster signs a kid to go to their school, but then they transfer to another school.  I'm assuming, they will be signing 3 month deals, 6 months, 1 year deals?