FishDuck Article

New Hires by Ducks and Pac-12 Inspire Hope

Do you feel the same as Darren about our hires?

CFX0QPtY.2-300x300-cropped.jpeg?p=194977
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com believes that the Pac-12 and Oregon Ducks both picked the right guy to lead the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I am completely sold on Dan Lanning, but I am not yet on George K., as I felt more could have been done with the Alliance.  Your thoughts?

Mr. FishDuck

I think that the Lanning hire is working beyond expectations. He has surrounded himself with a younger “hungry” staff. While I expect some growing pains at times, they are bringing in solid recruits. They are winning recruiting battles at very high levels and they haven’t even won a game yet.

Kliavkoff will now have both Oregon, and USC, as teams that will enhance any media rights negotiations. I think that  is the main factor that will determine his value to the PAC 12.  

If Oregon can get to the CFP before the negotiation of that contract, then that will pay huge dividends for the Kliavkoff, and the Conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't see a weakness in the Lanning hire. We have no real data on how he is going to coach on game day, but as long as he doesn't start out calling a timeout I think most will be extremely happy. I think the only problem may be the fan will expect too much after only seeing what he has done without the game clock running. Can the miracle really continue through the season, we can only hope.

With George, he has done a very good job of cleaning up the mess. Canzano did a superb job of outlining the problems under Lavish Larry's leadership, or lack thereof. I am not sure we completely understand just how hard the job will be to move forward after cleaning up that mess. The programs seem to be helping. 

The mistake up with the Lake is over, no more pelting Helton at sc, and Oregon may just have an offense again. With these three moves George just might have some leverage when he actually can do something to help the conference. The heavy lifting is still to come, but he definitely looks much better than the incompetent fool who was before him. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I am Ok with "pistol plunges on third-and-one!"  It was the pistol plunge on third-and-a-lot-more-more-than-one that drove us crazy(ier).

• Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 5/17/2022 at 11:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am completely sold on Dan Lanning, but I am not yet on George K., as I felt more could have been done with the Alliance.  Your thoughts?

I'm not sure what he could have done to entice the Big 10 (who opted to stick to 9 conference games instead of dropping to 8 for Alliance games), but dang, it would be nice if they would. 

On 5/17/2022 at 12:21 PM, Drake said:

I think that the Lanning hire is working beyond expectations. He has surrounded himself with a younger “hungry” staff. While I expect some growing pains at times, they are bringing in solid recruits. They are winning recruiting battles at very high levels and they haven’t even won a game yet.

Kliavkoff will now have both Oregon, and USC, as teams that will enhance any media rights negotiations. I think that  is the main factor that will determine his value to the PAC 12.  

If Oregon can get to the CFP before the negotiation of that contract, then that will pay huge dividends for the Kliavkoff, and the Conference.

For sure, on the upcoming tv deal, but definitely feel better with him making the deal than Larry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, Haywarduck said:

I can't see a weakness in the Lanning hire. We have no real data on how he is going to coach on game day, but as long as he doesn't start out calling a timeout I think most will be extremely happy. I think the only problem may be the fan will expect too much after only seeing what he has done without the game clock running. Can the miracle really continue through the season, we can only hope.

With George, he has done a very good job of cleaning up the mess. Canzano did a superb job of outlining the problems under Lavish Larry's leadership, or lack thereof. I am not sure we completely understand just how hard the job will be to move forward after cleaning up that mess. The programs seem to be helping. 

The mistake up with the Lake is over, no more pelting Helton at sc, and Oregon may just have an offense again. With these three moves George just might have some leverage when he actually can do something to help the conference. The heavy lifting is still to come, but he definitely looks much better than the incompetent fool who was before him. 

Yes, good timing with Oregon, USC, and UW seemingly on the rise. 

The majority of time-outs called by MC seemed to indicate brain-freeze, indecision and an inability to think or improvise on the go. Mario displayed all the characteristics of a textbook learner who became lost once things went past his pre-conceptions.

While we’ve yet to experience HC Dan on the real stage, what some of his players reported about him from their Super Bowl party says to me he knows football, not just thinks he knows it.

• Thumbs Up 3

When I first heard about DL, I looked up everything I could find on him and his family. It all made me very excited and a big fan right out of the gate.

He is  hard working, dedicated, with high moral fiber and a man of integrity.  Honest, straight forward and knows he has lots to learn, but is a willing student. Yet, a natural leader. He is also a person with apparently a very high football IQ.

His decisions so far seem good. Only time will tell how good.

And perhaps best of all, he seems genuinely willing to raise his family in Eugene for many years to come!

With regards to GK, I don't think he had enough time to get input from all schools before the first decisions about playoff expansion or scheduling within the alliance. 

Making too hasty of a decision might have been worse. I don't want espn to have more sway than necessary in the playoffs. 

I know what we here at Fishduck want, but gotta get all the Universities on board.

I think he is doing great at unifying the Pac12 for now. And with his Vegas and entertainment connections, I trust him to negotiate the best tv deal possible. 

I want to add that the college football landscape may drastically change in a few years. We have noted many types of scenarios here for example. We may want to have that flexibility in negotiations down the road.

One other thought about coach Lanning, it's been said that one measure of a man's greatness, is to measure the men who follow him.

I believe we are all impressed with the men willing to work for DL.

• Thumbs Up 2

Another way to measure a man is when a crisis happens, or with Mario, when the perceived crisis he called timeouts for happened. You can win a team over and lose a team based on how you deal with the crisis you don't expect.

Game time decisions and how he handles the inevitable crisis within the program will better define him. Hopefully he doesn't have any big crisis's soon, but it will happen when you have 85 plus men in your charge their first time away from home.

He now has the added benefit of boys away from home with NIL money to spend. Imagine Cliff Harris with NIL money?

On 5/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, Haywarduck said:

Imagine Cliff Harris with NIL money?

giphy.gif

Yep and, "we smoked it all."

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/17/2022 at 1:21 PM, Washington Waddler said:

The majority of time-outs called by MC seemed to indicate brain-freeze, indecision and an inability to think or improvise on the go. Mario displayed all the characteristics of a textbook learner who became lost once things went past his pre-conceptions.

While we’ve yet to experience HC Dan on the real stage, what some of his players reported about him from their Super Bowl party says to me he knows football, not just thinks he knows it.

Good call. I think he'll learn the sideline quickly. 

On 5/17/2022 at 2:00 PM, DanLduck said:

When I first heard about DL, I looked up everything I could find on him and his family. It all made me very excited and a big fan right out of the gate.

He is  hard working, dedicated, with high moral fiber and a man of integrity.  Honest, straight forward and knows he has lots to learn, but is a willing student. Yet, a natural leader. He is also a person with apparently a very high football IQ.

His decisions so far seem good. Only time will tell how good.

And perhaps best of all, he seems genuinely willing to raise his family in Eugene for many years to come!

With regards to GK, I don't think he had enough time to get input from all schools before the first decisions about playoff expansion or scheduling within the alliance. 

Making too hasty of a decision might have been worse. I don't want espn to have more sway than necessary in the playoffs. 

I know what we here at Fishduck want, but gotta get all the Universities on board.

I think he is doing great at unifying the Pac12 for now. And with his Vegas and entertainment connections, I trust him to negotiate the best tv deal possible. 

Agree about the expansion. And, the Pac-12 can always attempt to expand down the line, best GK get his footing under him first before doing anything rash. 

On 5/17/2022 at 2:13 PM, DanLduck said:

One other thought about coach Lanning, it's been said that one measure of a man's greatness, is to measure the men who follow him.

I believe we are all impressed with the men willing to work for DL.

Very true. And it didn't seem like those who had worked under MC left the working relationship on great terms. 

On 5/17/2022 at 4:24 PM, Haywarduck said:

Another way to measure a man is when a crisis happens, or with Mario, when the perceived crisis he called timeouts for happened. You can win a team over and lose a team based on how you deal with the crisis you don't expect.

Game time decisions and how he handles the inevitable crisis within the program will better define him. Hopefully he doesn't have any big crisis's soon, but it will happen when you have 85 plus men in your charge their first time away from home.

He now has the added benefit of boys away from home with NIL money to spend. Imagine Cliff Harris with NIL money?

That's a scary thought, for sure. 

Darren, I know I’m not the first, and won’t be the last, but just wanted to extended a big high five for going the extra mile by responding to all the comments. Thanks!

On 5/17/2022 at 6:46 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Darren, I know I’m not the first, and won’t be the last, but just wanted to extended a big high five for going the extra mile by responding to all the comments. Thanks!

Well heck, I have to respond to this one: Thank You! 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Haha 2