Steven A

California's Canary-In-A-Coalmine/Death of Non-Income Sports Legislation to be Decided by Week's End

Boy, will this put ADs in the cross hairs with revenue vs non-revenue coaches?

AAXnImg.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=
WWW.MSN.COM

The next 48 hours could prove to be crucial for the future of college athletics.

I don't know the fine details of the proposal but on the surface it sounds like a terrible idea.

This could get ugly with lawsuits of Women wanting to retain scholarships vs. Minorities wanting to be paid.

Or everyone could get to the end of the cliff, look down, step back, and come to a sensible solution.

I am betting on the latter will eventually materialize…

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This could get ugly with lawsuits of Women wanting to retain scholarships vs. Minorities wanting to paid.

Or everyone could get to the end of the cliff, look down, step back, and come to a sensible solution.

I am betting on the latter will eventually materialize…

Charles, are you thinking that cooler heads will prevail?  This is the California Legislature we are talking about here…

Not meaning to be political, but historically????

And when the women come to the courts with a reasonable historical track record of what Title IX has done to benefit sports, the economy in America…

What will Cali do then?

Mr. FishDuck

So if I ride the pines for 4 years I can still make $800,000, and get a degree. Count me in.

To some extent, I do understand the idea that it is not the responsibility of football players to fund the women's golf team.  At the same time, my prediction is that if something like this passes in any state, one of two things will happen at every affected university:

1. 1. Schools will drop football entirely or drop out of FBS and focus on smaller sports, much like many smaller private universities operate (Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, etc.).  Apparently Cal, Stanford, and UCLA are already considering this if the bill passes.
  2. 2. Schools will drop most sports other than football, men's and women's basketball, and enough cheap women's sports to satisfy Title IX.  They'll just become football and basketball factories and forget all about volleyball, baseball, gymnastics, etc.

One of the big challenges in all of this is that it puts schools in an impossible situation.  Title IX says overall opportunities in women's sports must be equivalent to men's sports.  Since there are no women's football teams, with 85 scholarship athletes, that means a bunch of Olympic sports like swimming and soccer must be funded.  But this law at the state level would also basically say that the main source of funding for these women's opportunities must dry up.  

I also find it stupidly ironic that apparently one of the motivators of this bill is to help minority athletes.  Yet to get the bulk of this money, they have to get a degree.  How many of these kids actually get degrees now?  How many are being prepared to do so entering college or while in college?  For many players (minority or not), this is not a realistic goal - they're just there to score touchdown or hit threes.  They simply are not prepared to succeed academically, and colleges mostly worry about keeping them eligible, not graduating them.  So now we give them a bunch of money only if they do something for which many have never been prepared?  Brilliant.  How about raise it to half a million if they get doctorates?  The ones who already get their degrees are the most prepared to be successful in life; the ones who have little chance of getting their degree are the ones who probably need the most help, but they're the ones who'll get the least help.

Not only that, but the best of them (athletically) leave early for the chance to score a big contract in the NBA, WNBA, or NFL.  Now you tell them they have to choose between a certain $800,000 if they stay all four years, or the possibility of much more in a pro contract if they leave early?  Look at how many leave early and don't even end up getting drafted (Dux football had at least three this year).  

And people ask me why I left California...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the name of fairness the snake ends up eating its own tail.  

It takes real talent to verbalize a noble intent while your actions accomplished the opposite. I would be put in OBD time out forever if I shared my thoughts any further.

• Thumbs Up 3

I get the football and basketball teams shouldn't feel obligated to pay for other sports.  However, it is the world we live in.  I don't know the correct answer, but football and basketball should get something extra.  Maybe, the NIL is that something extra.  Those sports, so far have been the main recipients of NIL deals.

Edited by Tandaian

On 5/18/2022 at 9:04 AM, Flyin Vee said:

In the name of fairness the snake ends up eating its own tail.  

It takes real talent to verbalize a noble intent while your actions accomplished the opposite. I would be put in OBD time out forever if I shared my thoughts any further.

The old circular firing squad routine.....a classic!

Circular Firing Squad.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1