FishDuck Article

What Do YOU Consider Success for Oregon Football in 2022?

A good question that certainly varies among Duck fans...

Josh-Delgado_Gary-Breedlove-300x300-crop
FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks are one of the most unpredictable teams in all of college football this season. There are so many questions surrounding the team...

• Let’s hope! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

There are varying degrees of success, but to put it simply, winning the Pac-12 (an improvement from last year) without serious injuries, or serious "drama" on/off the field, would be successful. 

Also, success on the recruiting trail. 

Although, a dream season where we win it all is also acceptable. 😁

Go 🦆!

• Thumbs Up 2

New coach, new schemes........10-2......but......I really think the Ducks should win the conference and head to the playoffs. The talent level at Oregon is supreme and the coaching will be vastly improved. So I'am really thinking 11-1. Georgia...down there.....early.....with a new coach.....is a tough climb for anyone......but the new coach is from .......Georgia......he'll know a few things about Georgia that will help.   

• Thumbs Up 1

Win the north, win the pac12 championship, play in a good bowl and recruit recruit recruit. 

This is year one for DL and staff, and it already looks better than any year under MC.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Two things we don't know about are critical. How good will our qb play be? How good will our head coach match up against his competitors?

The qb play is critical and we aren't winning any preseason heisman press in this area right now, maybe a good thing. If we are going to compete for the playoff birth then our qb will have to be mentioned for award winning play. 

The next item is how will Lanning match up against J Smith and other very good coaches in the league? These guys aren't just going to lay down because we have more talent on paper. There are going to be some new rivalries for Lanning, and how this first season goes will say a lot about where he fits in the hierarchy of Pac-12 coaches.

How Lanning defines himself against the Pac-12 coaches may be the most important element to watch. Does he dominate lesser competition, pull out some stunning wins? This will be a huge question mark I want to see answered. Many say the first impression is the most important, and it will be a tough one in Atlanta. He then faces WSU and Staford,  a couple team Oregon has struggled again in the past. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

It has occurred to me that there has been a strong focus of Winning being the gage of a successful season. Under normal circumstances, that makes total sense. We have used the metrics of New Coach, new scheme, new...etc..etc.

Now, we have 'low' expectations of winning the North with an outside chance of winning the PAC and a playoff berth. Yes, winning should be the focus, of course. But, with so many unknowns this year, I get the feeling its more of a transfer year.

Getting an offensive and defensive scheme with your own QB takes time. There are powerful rosters across the nation with NFL talent that have floundered due to lack of continuity and coaching. With that said, I'm going to go out on a limb and categorize this year a transition year.

My view of success is a strong growth of scheme implementation. High discipline.  Focused assignment completion. Getting these guys to buy in from the 5* to the walk on. All the other stuff will take care of itself if the right foundation is laid.

Thats what I'm looking for this year. The caveat is, do we drop to a 6/6 season? That would be a catastrophy. I want a NC as much as anybody. But, even Georgia took 3 years of Lanning to get its NC.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

The coaching staff is stellar but Lanning's never been an HC. Even so I still think he'll be fine because he's surrounded himself with quality assistants and seems to be the kind of coach that is not a micro manager. That and the teams loaded with talent. 

Success for me is to win the north and play for the P12 championship. Anything after that is icing on the cake.

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Applause 1

Two measures for success this season. 

1) Obviously W-L  record and 10 wins would be fine season. 

2) But…I would take fewer wins if the team shows improvement under the new coaches. It would be a sea change from the last two years under Cristobal, when the coaching staff couldn’t turn out a team with focus and consistent play. The one truth about the Ducks was that they played down to level of competition. Games, even Stoney Brook, were frustrating, often nail biters. Then came two blowout losses to Utah. Cristobal’s staff clearly wasn’t getting Oregon to the next level. 

Maybe the new coaches will produce teams that race past inferior opponents and play every game with focus and passion. And use Oregon’s immense offensive talent to produce explosive plays. I would take those indicators over W-L record this first year. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

1Funduck has a real good perspective here... Winning the North and Competing well in the Pac-12 Championship are good 'headline' gauges of success - but not the most important in year 1 of the Lanning era.  Get the foundation right - discipline, focus and 60 minutes of consistent, whole team effort - and a lot of opportunity for growth of the program opens up.  

And as fans, let's also work on us a bit - bring some patience and true support to the team, game in and game out.  The booing at Autzen has to be a thing of the past... if we want the program to build something special, fan support is a part of the puzzle, and not a trivial one.  

Let's not expect lightning to strike and we take it to Georgia on their home turf - if you are looking for instant gratification, I'd suggest going to Salt & Straw for a nice ice cream cone... but if you want a Natty, plant well, nurture your garden and allow the process to take place before your eyes.  And remember, once we are on top of the mountain, we will likely look back quite fondly on the journey, and not just the destination.  GO DUCKS!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

DHLA, it is good to have a new voice among us, I would encourage you to post often.

Welcome!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I see no reason why the Ducks should not rule the North.

And if any PAC team can make to the playoff, why not Oregon?

They are my second choice for that.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Success to me will be seeing improvement every week, not playing down to the competition, and finishing off the opponent.

If these things happen. It will be at least 10 win season. With multiple blowouts. Remember those?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Culture change seems to be the given. Everything else relies on how fast that’s installed: good old cause and effect.

In the meantime, push the envelope, but not to the point where you’re giving the game away. 

At this time, discipline can’t be over emphasized - you do baby steps not because you want to, but because you have to.

I suppose I didn't answer the question, but I think success has to be measured by analyzing the process, not the outcome. I think if the qb position develops then the outcome we all desire will come to fruition. The same can be said of our coach, if he develops, establishes his head coaching abilities against the seasoned Pac-12 coaches then we should be satisfied.

I would also like to see a healthy process of players staying in the lineup. When injuries arise I would like to see the player development shining, with players ready to step into starting positions. In the distant past we had the 'next player up' mentality, establish that again. Seeing some rotation on the d-line, and qb's getting quality back-up time would also seem to be a worthy goal.

The special teams should also excel, especially as compared to last year. Way too many out of bounds kickoffs which should turn into unreturnable kickoffs this year. Coverage should be lights out on punts with our speed guys swarming any punt made. Extra points should be a given, and maybe even a surprising play for 2 points on a needed situation. We need to be ready for any onside kick too, last year was pathetic.

All of this will lead to an even more exciting recruiting process. Players will be chomping at the bit to sign on to a young enthusiastic staff and program on the rise. Specifically I would like to see Jayden Wayne flipped, along with at least one or more of sc's commits or leans.

The one metric I would like to see is our starting qb considered for the Heisman. He should definitely be mentioned as a top qb in the Pac-12 this year.  We need to, again, establish Oregon as the place qb's go to excel!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Based on the last few seasons, the only teams the Ducks have around 50/50 or more chance to lose to are UGA, BYU, UCLA and Utah.  As history shows, they could lose to any team at any time, but the floor to this season should be 8-4.  I'd like to see improvements with penalties, special teams, O scheme and D scheme.  Give me 8-4 and improvements in those 4 areas and I will consider it a successful season.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/18/2022 at 9:28 AM, Krsmqn said:

There are varying degrees of success, but to put it simply, winning the Pac-12 (an improvement from last year) without serious injuries, or serious "drama" on/off the field, would be successful. 

Also, success on the recruiting trail. 

Although, a dream season where we win it all is also acceptable. 😁

Go 🦆!

I would LOVE to win the Pac-12, but personally, I'd be satisfied with at least making it to the title game.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, fred flintstone said:

New coach, new schemes........10-2......but......I really think the Ducks should win the conference and head to the playoffs. The talent level at Oregon is supreme and the coaching will be vastly improved. So I'am really thinking 11-1. Georgia...down there.....early.....with a new coach.....is a tough climb for anyone......but the new coach is from .......Georgia......he'll know a few things about Georgia that will help.   

Playoffs are bold, but 10 wins is certainly doable.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2022 at 10:18 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Win the north, win the pac12 championship, play in a good bowl and recruit recruit recruit. 

This is year one for DL and staff, and it already looks better than any year under MC.  

I was with you on winning the North, until today's news broke!

On 5/18/2022 at 10:54 AM, Haywarduck said:

Two things we don't know about are critical. How good will our qb play be? How good will our head coach match up against his competitors?

The qb play is critical and we aren't winning any preseason heisman press in this area right now, maybe a good thing. If we are going to compete for the playoff birth then our qb will have to be mentioned for award winning play. 

The next item is how will Lanning match up against J Smith and other very good coaches in the league? These guys aren't just going to lay down because we have more talent on paper. There are going to be some new rivalries for Lanning, and how this first season goes will say a lot about where he fits in the hierarchy of Pac-12 coaches.

How Lanning defines himself against the Pac-12 coaches may be the most important element to watch. Does he dominate lesser competition, pull out some stunning wins? This will be a huge question mark I want to see answered. Many say the first impression is the most important, and it will be a tough one in Atlanta. He then faces WSU and Staford,  a couple team Oregon has struggled again in the past. 

I would love to see us get back to blowing out lesser opponents. We should be rolling through teams like WSU and Stanford. QB will be a big factor in that one way or another, as you stated.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2022 at 11:08 AM, 1Funduck said:

It has occurred to me that there has been a strong focus of Winning being the gage of a successful season. Under normal circumstances, that makes total sense. We have used the metrics of New Coach, new scheme, new...etc..etc.

Now, we have 'low' expectations of winning the North with an outside chance of winning the PAC and a playoff berth. Yes, winning should be the focus, of course. But, with so many unknowns this year, I get the feeling its more of a transfer year.

Getting an offensive and defensive scheme with your own QB takes time. There are powerful rosters across the nation with NFL talent that have floundered due to lack of continuity and coaching. With that said, I'm going to go out on a limb and categorize this year a transition year.

My view of success is a strong growth of scheme implementation. High discipline.  Focused assignment completion. Getting these guys to buy in from the 5* to the walk on. All the other stuff will take care of itself if the right foundation is laid.

Thats what I'm looking for this year. The caveat is, do we drop to a 6/6 season? That would be a catastrophy. I want a NC as much as anybody. But, even Georgia took 3 years of Lanning to get its NC.

I do think you bring up a good point about expectations needing to be tempered a bit. It's just hard because most teams that undergo a rebuild are retooling their rosters. Ours, conversely, is pretty well-tooled, which makes things even more interesting.

If Coach Lanning can establish a "team" atmosphere I believe 10-2 or 11-1 is a definite possibility. But any season we beat the Huskies and the Beavs is a success in my book! :]

I applaud the optimism of Duck fans on this topic. It  reminds  me of the tremendous enthusiasm Dawg fans showed when Kirby Smart was hired by Georgia. Many of the posts in that period were, frankly...delusional.

Kirby arrived in Athens with a stacked roster. Yet his team finished 8-5 in that first year. It  took a while for  returning players to adjust to a new coaching staff. It took a  while  for Kirby to learn how to manage the  game clock in crunch time. And it  took a while for him to develop  confidence in his own decision making.

I am not saying he was a deer in the headlights, but he didn't always give the impression of being on top of game situations. Three of his losses came by a total of something like 8 points. A couple of those were due to coaching brain cramps in my inexpert opinion.

Expect some missteps in a first year Duck fans: it happens to the best of  coaches. Many of you may not know that even Nick Saban was something like 6-7 in his first year at Bama. I don't know how the Ducks will fare in Lanning's first year, very well I hope. But I can almost guarantee that the team will be better, perhaps much better, by year 2  or 3.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

You get what you expect:  Beat Georgia, win the Pac 12 and be in the Top 8 prior to the playoffs.  The players and coaches expect nothing less and the fans should expect the same, it is a family!

I will be happy with a much improved offense, beating UW, and finishing with at least 8 wins in year one.  

On 5/18/2022 at 10:36 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

I applaud the optimism of Duck fans on this topic. It  reminds  me of the tremendous enthusiasm Dawg fans showed when Kirby Smart was hired by Georgia. Many of the posts in that period were, frankly...delusional.

Kirby arrived in Athens with a stacked roster. Yet his team finished 8-5 in that first year. It  took a while for  returning players to adjust to a new coaching staff. It took a  while  for Kirby to learn how to manage the  game clock in crunch time. And it  took a while for him to develop  confidence in his own decision making.

I am not saying he was a deer in the headlights, but he didn't always give the impression of being on top of game situations. Three of his losses came by a total of something like 8 points. A couple of those were due to coaching brain cramps in my inexpert opinion.

Expect some missteps in a first year Duck fans: it happens to the best of  coaches. Many of you may not know that even Nick Saban was something like 6-7 in his first year at Bama. I don't know how the Ducks will fare in Lanning's first year, very well I hope. But I can almost guarantee that the team will be better, perhaps much better, by year 2  or 3.

Sage advice, thanks!

I think “outsiders” would suggest that Oregon just take solace in winning the North, be content with nine or ten-win seasons, continue smacking around our purple punching bag to the north, and just shut-up and be satisfied with winning our fair share of football games.  Just for fun we’ll throw in the occasional bowl victory here and there.  There ya go, lil’ Fella.

Nah.  We rode in the slow lane long enough.  Sure, we usually reached our destination, but the trips were becoming tedious with little hope of exciting future adventures.  Luckily, the ride wasn’t so long that we started losing passengers.  Duck nation remains strong.   

I whole-heartedly agree with Haywarduck’s perspective on success being measured by a process vs. just an outcome.  We’re fortunate in that a winning culture has been established in Eugene and that a complete do-over is not in order to take the next step, but I’ll be watching to see if the required paradigm change can be embraced permitting UO to become elite.   

DL sat smack in the center of the mixing bowl that contained all the perfect ingredients to be a world class winner while at GA.  Yes, the 2021 Bulldogs were extremely talented.  But they also were very disciplined and played with a cohesiveness that stemmed from simply caring for one another.  Kirby and his staff cultivated an environment whereupon players seized the responsibility of being accountable for their own actions and for keeping one another in check.  I saw an interview with the tight-knit GA linebacking corps where these guys were able to complete one another’s sentences.  Don’t be fooled into thinking unity (on and off the field) didn’t play a role in GA netting a Natty. 

To me a successful season can be measured by a couple things. 

First.  How much buy-in does the team have in the ingredients DL brings to Eugene?  If the answer is a lot, we’ll see it in the form of less pre-snap and post-play penalties, better on-the-field communication, and how about just “acting like we’ve been there before.”  Sounds inane but those components can reflect heavily on the scoreboard.  Play for your brother, gentlemen.   

Second.  Will the ‘Explosion Plays’ pronouncement come to fruition?  This is what is synonymous with Duck football and what we’re eager to see.  The last couple years the broadcast hype teams have had to feign interest in promoting UO games.  Let’s change that.  I want Oregon football to once again nationally be Must See TV. 

I’m not worried about the overall record as the talent on this team will carry them to a respectable record.  Dubs and a rejuvenated atmosphere will accompany ticking the checkboxes of the two things I mentioned. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm new at posting here, but you guys provide some solid thoughts. Like others, I believe the team should approve in the discipline department, but boys will be boys, right?

I also believe a more varied offensive attack will help keep others on thier toes. The forward pass was a good innovation. We should try to incorporate in the scheme.The old school mentality is fine if you can actually control the line of scrimmage. Utah did.

The give up on the end of the season was tragic. Cristobal, my coach, not my coach, doesn't matter. The new guy probably won't call a timeout before the opening kickoff. That will be progress. Oh, did I mention the forward pass?

I'm glad Brown got a shot at making a practice squad. He wasn't it, although he had wheels. Can the new staff develop kids? Can they adjust to the talent, and make a dangerous offence? In year three, if a kid can't grasp the offence, or better yet, read a defence. Is he ever going to....?

I don't want to be handicapped by somebody who just can't get it. If a kid can move his head to over one receiver. Scan the field if you will then you should find an open receiver, somewhere? Ty seems kind of prone to int's. I know it's a small sample, but shouldn't this be even more concerning? Even with a lack of film, or maybe because of it, the coaches brought in Bo.

Honestly; I don't think our new guys are all that high on the boys on the bench. It's speculation on my part. I have no other insights into it. I'm not an expert at anything, but im pretty good at a lot of them. This will have to be enough for me till September.  Hopefully, this doesn't read as nonsense. Id like to thing im so, so, at stating my very humble opinions. 

Edited by Smith72
Spacing
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The bar is still set pretty high in my book, DL inherits a well-stocked cupboard. 

To me a successful season always starts with beating the Fuskies and the Beavers, then P12 Championship.

A win over Georgia and/or a trip to the CFP makes it an exceptional one and of course a natty is the ultimate goal.  Third time's a charm.

• Applause 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:36 AM, Dislocated Duck said:

Hopefully, this doesn't read as nonsense. Id like to thing im so, so, at stating my very humble opinions. 

Hello Dislocated Duck, and do offer your thoughts often as you gave us a pretty darn good first post.  A great community here, and I am glad you are now part of it--WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

Beat ewe dub, and the rest is gravy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

A good question that certainly varies among Duck fans...

Josh-Delgado_Gary-Breedlove-300x300-crop
FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon Ducks are one of the most unpredictable teams in all of college football this season. There are so many questions surrounding the team...

Honestly with this roster being as deep and talented that it is I expect Oregon to play for the PAC 12 Title period. Dan Lanning seems to me with all the moves he's making it's about competition and you play the best you get that 1 spot. So on and so on! This guy get's it and he's taking every advantage this new PIL deal will give him and why the heck not. Lets be honest about the direction CF is now on. Its called the fittest wins and the one who uses everything to their advantage should come out on top. Exciting times in Eugene.

This is not what I ever wanted nor would ever come to this. So I either jump on board for what might be the last few times we actually are privileged to witness Oregon actually get this done. Also one more note as in the Altman teams as well as WBB, WSB, MBB and so on as it's all getting competitive and what more could we ask for?

On 5/19/2022 at 9:02 AM, Jester said:

I think “outsiders” would suggest that Oregon just take solace in winning the North, be content with nine or ten-win seasons, continue smacking around our purple punching bag to the north, and just shut-up and be satisfied with winning our fair share of football games.  Just for fun we’ll throw in the occasional bowl victory here and there.  There ya go, lil’ Fella.

Nah.  We rode in the slow lane long enough.  Sure, we usually reached our destination, but the trips were becoming tedious with little hope of exciting future adventures.  Luckily, the ride wasn’t so long that we started losing passengers.  Duck nation remains strong.   

I whole-heartedly agree with Haywarduck’s perspective on success being measured by a process vs. just an outcome.  We’re fortunate in that a winning culture has been established in Eugene and that a complete do-over is not in order to take the next step, but I’ll be watching to see if the required paradigm change can be embraced permitting UO to become elite.   

DL sat smack in the center of the mixing bowl that contained all the perfect ingredients to be a world class winner while at GA.  Yes, the 2021 Bulldogs were extremely talented.  But they also were very disciplined and played with a cohesiveness that stemmed from simply caring for one another.  Kirby and his staff cultivated an environment whereupon players seized the responsibility of being accountable for their own actions and for keeping one another in check.  I saw an interview with the tight-knit GA linebacking corps where these guys were able to complete one another’s sentences.  Don’t be fooled into thinking unity (on and off the field) didn’t play a role in GA netting a Natty. 

To me a successful season can be measured by a couple things. 

First.  How much buy-in does the team have in the ingredients DL brings to Eugene?  If the answer is a lot, we’ll see it in the form of less pre-snap and post-play penalties, better on-the-field communication, and how about just “acting like we’ve been there before.”  Sounds inane but those components can reflect heavily on the scoreboard.  Play for your brother, gentlemen.   

Second.  Will the ‘Explosion Plays’ pronouncement come to fruition?  This is what is synonymous with Duck football and what we’re eager to see.  The last couple years the broadcast hype teams have had to feign interest in promoting UO games.  Let’s change that.  I want Oregon football to once again nationally be Must See TV. 

I’m not worried about the overall record as the talent on this team will carry them to a respectable record.  Dubs and a rejuvenated atmosphere will accompany ticking the checkboxes of the two things I mentioned. 

Georgia  finally got it done with all that top tier talent they had brought in 4 years coming. Bravo for them because I was wondering when they would and low and behold Kirby gets it done finally with who as is DC, why our brand A@M, and still BAMA. Both of them have or are in the TOP 5 in recruiting every year for like the past 4 seasons. 4 star through 4 star and 5 star type players. About who we've brought in by just the transfer Portal is pretty interesting. The DT from the Mutts is a beast. Better right now than any of those DL A@M has.

I see this team hopefully doing even better than anything Mario brought to the table and especially with how he ended last years season which to me is unforgettable. Mario you could say " TANKED " Oregon's season and to me the players did also. A lot of good stuff going on and this young staff looks legit. Good things are going to come and so hopefully that will be as injury free as we can be for the whole season. Oregon I just feel will work the season and win most their games barring again any major injury's. Also it needs to happen now.

Why, because now all bets are off this is easily Semi Pro or whatever you want to call it, it's money is involved now and Tennessee payed a lot for that QB who was apparently at one time wanted to come to Oregon and we all know what they payed him to come there. You could say No Brainer for him on what to do. So to keep up Oregon needs to do whatever it cost's to win it all. That is all I can ask for and hope for now. enough is enough it's time.

I will be happy with two things.  The W/L column will sort itself just fine if we get both!

I want to watch Dominating Defensive Destruction Delivered with Dreadful Devastation Due to Duck Dominance!

Then let Oregon’s Overpowering Offense Orchestrate Overwhelming Ownership of Outplayed and Overmatched Opponents!

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Gosh I love alliteration!

And it’s a good thing I do!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/19/2022 at 1:36 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

OMG! The Nichols state game that year was a disaster but we somehow won. I must agree that the learning curve for even the legends can be tough! Kirby Smart is 10 times the coach that he was that 1st Year! Good Advice and Go Dawgs! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to see a business like approach.  Limit drive killing procedural mistakes on offense, Defensively give up fewer 3rd and longs that turn into first downs.  Eliminate the unforced errors. Eliminate taunting their opponents

Hand the ball to the officials after the play. Create havoc between the whistles.

IMHO We fans need to show patience for the few seasons, hope for the best but this is a process we are observing.

Can the Ducks win out this year? That’s a possibility. However, it’s more probable the Ducks hit some bumps.  Either way- buckle up it will be a fun ride!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

To win the games that they are supposed to win and be competitive till the end in the games they loose.