deschutesduck

2022 Pac-12 Football Title Game Will Pit 2 Teams with Best Conference Record

They moved quick on this, no longer necessarily the North vs the South

RQ3IMXFI4BASTMXY22JULVG77Q.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

No longer will division winners have an automatic berth.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like it but it will possibly change the dynamics of rooting for some fans.

Wondering, once North/South divisions are eliminated, they will reduce conference games from 9 o 8?

• Let’s hope! 1

On3 states that under the new format, Oregon would have also qualified in 2012 and 2015 for the conference championship game.

Utah has to play both USC and Oregon...a tougher road for them to get to the championship.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Yikes! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Scheduling in the future will change as well, I believe, starting in 2023.

Going to 8 conference games will be next, unless CA legislature passes that regulation requiring paying players.

That would end Pac12 football as we know it in my opinion. 

This at least gives best chance for us to send a team to the natty invite.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:12 PM, Charles Fischer said:

On3 states that under the new format, Oregon would have also qualified in 2012 and 2015 for the conference championship game.

Funny how you should mention that Charles... In one of my earliest articles at FishDuck I talked about this very thing. 

Pac-12-Championship-2011-AmazingMomentsP
FISHDUCK.COM

The expansion of the Pac-12 conference has not been to the benefit of fans. In my previous...

I do disagree with the analysis that it should have been Washington v USC in 2020 but that is a whole different story due to COVID and Washington skipping Oregon because they couldn't play but that's another story. 

And here it is! 

Dye-Runs-v-UCLA-2020-Tom-Corno-300x300-c
FISHDUCK.COM

2020 has not been a good year for Pac-12 football, and has become a major disappointment for Oregon...

Regardless, I am looking forward to a real championship between the top two teams in the PAC regardless of division. 

In the covid season USC and Colorado had the best records because the South was so week. But because of the divisions we won a much tougher north and played USC for the title sure hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the wing

I am probably in the minority, but I am completely against this, especially considering the likely next steps of eliminating the divisions (no point anymore) and going to 8 conference games.  The only way this works is to play a true Round-Robin schedule.   

Some team in the near future with the easiest conference record (missing the Top 3 teams in conference play) is going to have one more win than the team with the hardest record (missing the Bottom 3 schools in conference play) and everyone is going to go ballistic about how it is not fair.   

I don't like it either without moving to an 8 game conference schedule and eliminating divisions.

Otherwise, what's the point? 

Besides, a Pac12 team has to run the table anyway to get into the playoff, so win all your conference games.

I've always liked the other division had a chance to win the conference even if their record wasn't great by winning the champ game.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 out of conference and everyone plays everyone. Simple.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:53 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I am probably in the minority, but I am completely against this, especially considering the likely next steps of eliminating the divisions (no point anymore) and going to 8 conference games.  The only way this works is to play a true Round-Robin schedule.   

Some team in the near future with the easiest conference record (missing the Top 3 teams in conference play) is going to have one more win than the team with the hardest record (missing the Bottom 3 schools in conference play) and everyone is going to go ballistic about how it is not fair.   

I agree that you are going to have an issue based on strength of schedule at some point - maybe this year.  In another topic a while back there was an article about back the strength of schedule for each team and it broke out conf and non-conf.  There is quite a difference based on the crossover games.  For example the fuskies miss Utah and USC and have the easiest conf schedule.  I think it is fine to go with the two “best” teams, but you really need to look at how you do the conf schedule.

It doesn’t really matter for teams that have playoff aspirations since you do have to run the table anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, Flyin Vee said:

I like this, but you need a 8+ team playoff with auto bids for Power 5 conference winners or the PAC-12 is probably never getting in to the CFP under those circumstances. 

On 5/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, Flyin Vee said:

Problem with that is the SEC plays fewer conference games and throws a ooc patsy near the end of season. 

That scenario puts the pac12 at a severe disadvantage worse than it presently is. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I get the what aboutism, when I suggested that the PAC play a full schedule. Frankly as long as you play the SEC/BCS game we lose. How many SEC playing SEC for a “national championship” do you want to sit through, knowing that they got there using minimal conference games and and a out of conference schedule that rivals The big sky (no offense to Washington intended😀)

I suggest a minimum of 10 games in conference for all leagues. All champions get a slot at the dance. The two lowest seeded teams have a play in game. Those currently with super leagues (16 teams) are forced to rethink strategies. Let the SEC adjust to the rest of the country.

As long as the SEC is driving the buss and the BCS is riding shotgun no one wants to talk about the elephant riding on top.

or my other suggestion is we just skip ahead and declare 32 AAA super teams that are NFL farm teams, and let the NFL foot the bill. After all the NFL gets the “pick of the litter” with Zero up front cost (in the financial work this is known as a -good fn deal).

just spit balling here.....

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pac 12 - 12 teams

B1G TEN - 14 teams

Big 12 - 14 teams in 2023 & 2024, 12 in 2025

ACC - 14 teams plus ND

SEC - 14 teams in 2022-24, 16 in 2025

Even with every conference playing the same number of conference games, the schedules will never be equal. 

With "rules" being in place requiring teams to play other teams within a certain number of years, conferences can't make up the schedule every year to ensure as equal scheduling as possible.

At the very least, every conference should play the same number of conference games as the others to be eligible to be part of the CFB.  B1G TEN and Pac 12 and Big 12 all play 9.  Make that part of the deal.  ACC is a lean towards 9 league games.  ACC needs the rest of the conferences big time, so put pressure on them to put help put pressure on the SEC.

SEC is the big dog, but they can't go solo.  The G5 will follow whatever path they will be given.  I have no idea why the Pac 12, ACC, B1G TEN and Big 12 don't reign in the SEC this next go around.  If they tried to move away from the other power 5 conferences, they'd be done in 4 seasons.

As a Utah fan I have grown accustomed to looking for all the bad things that can happen to us - and often do.  As I was mulling over some worst case scenarios with the new format, I did come up with a worst case for the Ducks - other than just losing a bunch of winnable games!.  It is possible for Oregon to beat GA, go 11-1, finish with the best overall record in the conf, be ranked in the top 4 prior to playing Utah and then miss the PAC-12 Championship game and end up in the Holiday bowl.  Here is how that would work.

Oregon only loses to Utah - finishes 11-1 and 8-1 in conf

USC loses to ND  but runs the table in conf - finishes 11-1 and 9-0 in conf - goes to Vegas

Utah loses to FL and USC - finishes 10-2 and 8-1 in conf, but owns the head to head tie breaker with the Ducks and goes to Vegas

Utah wins the championship giving USC a 2nd loss, and Oregon is the only one loss team.  

A one loss pac-12 champ MIGHT get into the playoff, but a one loss non-champion is an easy out to leave the pac-12 out again.  Even worse for me would be USC wins in Vegas and makes the playoffs - I would rather go 8-4 and have Oregon get there than lose to the trojans and have to watch them in the playoffs.  

• Oh no! 1
  • Great post! 1

Just when I was feeling good about the changes!

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck