FishDuck Article

(FishDuck Article) The DeRuyter Defense: A JOKER and New Roles!

Now that we have a surface-level understanding of what Coach Tim DeRuyter’s defense will look like from my last article, lets’ take a deeper look at his base alignment. From the writings of the man himself, Coach DeRuyter prefers the 3-4 defense, and for good reason. Some of his personal reasons for using the alignment are that it gets better, ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Interesting details of the DeRuyter defense coach. Definitely more complicated then I ever thought. Lots of variations and flexibility here. 

It truly is "fun to learn about our beloved Ducks". 

giphy.gif

Great article. Looking forward to more!

Is there a more complicated sport anywhere in the world?

21 minutes ago, jrw said:

Is there a more complicated sport anywhere in the world?

It’s funny because I get this sport, but when I watch basketball I have no idea what’s going on outside of the very elementary aspects. 

My friends, you have to trust me on this--his article is simple compared to everything else out there that digs into the Xs and Os of his defense.  Coach Boles makes it far easier to understand than anyone else explaining it, because usually those other people are coaches explaining to other coaches.

In fact my own analysis articles years ago were much longer and "heavy" and thus it was harder for readers to get through them and learn.  We now do the "Boles Method" of breaking down the subject into smaller pieces and making an analysis of each small piece for the benefit of the reader.

We work hard to make our analysis articles easy to understand, and easy to have read in less than five minutes.  This way a reader did not have to work too hard to learn something and it did not take long.

I want to thank Coach Boles so much for the beginning of a series over time about what to look for with the Coach DeRuyter defense, and we will be creating a section for it in the Oregon Football Analysis Library on FishDuck for quick and easy reference.

Mr. FishDuck

I’m liking the prospect of KT and Noah being on the same side. I can’t even begin to sympathize with the offense that has to deal with the Ducks bringing both on blitzes and dropping 6 into coverage. 

With the position/scheme changes it will be interesting to see where guys like Jamal Hill, Adrian Jackson, Mase Funa, and others wind up. 

35 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

My friends, you have to trust me on this--his article is simple compared to everything else out there that digs into the Xs and Os of his defense.  Coach Boles makes it far easier to understand than anyone else explaining it, because usually those other people are coaches explaining to other coaches.

In fact my own analysis articles years ago were much longer and "heavy" and thus it was harder for readers to get through them and learn.  We now do the "Boles Method" of breaking down the subject into smaller pieces and making an analysis of each small piece for the benefit of the reader.

We work hard to make our analysis articles easy to understand, and easy to have read in less than five minutes.  This way a reader did not have to work too hard to learn something and it did not take long.

I want to thank Coach Boles so much for the beginning of a series over time about what to look for with the Coach DeRuyter defense, and we will be creating a section for it in the Oregon Football Analysis Library on FishDuck for quick and easy reference.

Yes, this shorter method is great... but Coach Boles has always left me wanting MORE!

6 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

With the position/scheme changes it will be interesting to see where guys like Jamal Hill, Adrian Jackson, Mase Funa, and others wind up. 

Boy that makes Spring Football interesting...the entertainment of that is going to be fun to watch!

Mr. FishDuck

Loved this article.  I can see KT and Sewell thriving in this scheme.  

On 1/26/2021 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Now that we have a surface-level understanding of what Coach Tim DeRuyter’s defense will look like from my last article, lets’ take a deeper look at his base alignment. From the writings of the man himself, Coach DeRuyter prefers the 3-4 defense, and for good reason. Some of his personal reasons for using the alignment are that it gets better, ...

Read the full article here...

Jeffrey Bassa is the perfect fit at SAM or "Big Safety". A hybrid SS/OLB in the mold of Adrian Jackson. A great athlete that can cover at the back end against TE's & H-Backs or "Big" WR's. Or he can come down into the box and be physical in the run game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article! I sometimes feel like the more things change, the more they stay the same in football; reading about that defense really reminds me of reading about NFL defenses in that great old book... wasn't it "The thinking man's guide to football"?

My key takeaway, and fitting my own "sit on the couch" coach perspective, is that it's easier to recruit great linebackers than great linemen. And I think we have a really good group of them these days.

Jonathan Flowe seams like he would be a good fit at Sam. His pass rush is allot like his brothers and he seams fast enough to cover TEs or drop in to a zone.  Add bonus would be having two Flowers on the same side of the ball, good luck with that sports casters.

Edited by Dave23
Sorry can't seam to change text size on my phone