Wrathis

Aww 'Shoughs'...

So, I'm really interested to see the thoughts here on the "Decorum Forum"...Regarding Tyler Shough, I was a fan. In my opinion, he was tossed into a less than an ideal situation (Covid) with impossible shoes to fill.  I felt he should have been allowed to use the Covid-shortened year to get the experience he needed with the expectation he'd be really good his following 2 years.

However, statistically he was very solid and had he not been forced out the door, I think he probably would have been better than Brown was the last 2 years.  However, in the Facebook groups I was in, I was unanimously shouted down and the only one defending him.  At any rate, his Oregon stats are listed below:

2020 Season

7 games played

.635 completion percentage

1,559 yards

13TD/6INT

160.4 QBR

*It's possible that I'm wrong and he just wasn't very good, but I doubt that. Also, how much of his play do we lay at the feet of Mari Cristbal?*

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm with you 100%.

I liked Tyler. But with the game plan of MC, not sure he would have been a substantial improvement in games won. A better passing attack probably. 

Was sorry to see him get injured at TT.

Also I think he just got engaged (or married).

We need a qb coach that can develop talent. I hope it's Dillingham. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, that is a "bad-or-bad" choice.  I agree with you, that had we known how Brown was going to be...Shough would have been better, but not by a ton.  He lost his confidence by the end of the 2020 season, and perhaps he would have flourished with this new staff?  I wish him the best...

Tyler Shough busts a move_ESPN Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

We needed better development and scheme. Tyler had little of each of these helping him out. I wasn't a big fan, but it can probably be attributed to where he was at in the Oregon program. I wish him well and Oregon even better.

I do remember not being a fan of Kellen Clemens when he was learning the college game. Most players don't look like Justin Herbert as freshman, not many do actually.

As a fan I want to see a savvy guy behind center from day one. This will be my expectation with our coach and qb this season too.

Shough threw TERRIBLE Picks, and it was over and over to the underneath guy in coverage. 

He cost us the loss to Beavus with one of those terrible picks., and other games.

Then I saw him start of last year throw the same type of pick for Tech.

True to form Tlyer threw two picks in the 2022 spring game and I'm betting one was to the underneath guy in coverage he didn't see.

When the coaches show you the mistake you made in film session and each week it's the same mistake, then it's on you for not mentally improving. 

As tight as Tyler was playing and how far the coaches had reeled in the passing game his last two games tells us all we need to know. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Shough threw TERRIBLE Picks, and it was over and over to the underneath guy in coverage. 

He cost us the loss to Beavus with one of those terrible picks., and other games.

Then I saw him start of last year throw the same type of pick for Tech.

True to form Tlyer threw two picks in the 2022 spring game and I'm betting one was to the underneath guy in coverage he didn't see.

When the coaches show you the mistake you made in film session and each week it's the same mistake, then it's on you for not mentally improving. 

As tight as Tyler was playing and how far the coaches had reeled in the passing game his last two games tells us all we need to know. 

That being the case, is it your thought that we should move on from Ty Thompson and Butterfield as well? They threw multiple picks this Spring game and didn't seem to be able to beat Brown out for the job last year either. They seem to be similar in development and if that's the case, maybe they aren't the answers we're needing...

Shough suffered from the same problem Brown suffered from last year. 

The defense was porrus and let opposing teams move the ball too easily at time. When coupled with a prevent offense that was in itself reluctant to score points it put Oregon in a situation where the quarterback felt the need to make bigger plays and play hero ball. 

The result was a whole lot of ineffective forced passes or the QB running around trying to make a play with their feet that wasn't there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It sure felt as if his own confidence and (coaches) faith in his abilities waned the more he played. 

I really didn’t care for the way the staff handled him.  It gave me a sense that the players were treated with a “one-size-fits-all” approach, and that shouldn’t be the case – particularly at the QB position. 

I do recall saying to myself on many occasions, “Why do they keep putting him (Tyler) in third and obvious passing situations?"  Then again, I also recall Oregon fans clamoring for Anthony Brown to play due to Tyler’s lack of production.  At the time, AB was more efficient at moving the offense.   

On 5/18/2022 at 5:47 PM, Wrathis said:

That being the case, is it your thought that we should move on from Ty Thompson and Butterfield as well?

As far as moving on from Ty & Butters is concerned, I’d do it in a heartbeat if someone can demonstrate they are more worthy of earning the position. 

One thing that’s disconcerting with Ty’s pick-6 in the spring game was how similar it was to his pick against Colorado last season.  Both were 12-yard pass plays, thrown late, and behind the intended receiver.  At least in the CO game we could see that the pocket wasn’t completely clean.  Ty’s 1 of 6 against FBS opponents for 5 yards and a pick.  It’s tough to chisel his name in granite as a starter at Oregon with what we’ve seen in his limited action.  Even though it doesn’t sound like it, I’m really pulling for him as I’d like to see all this athletic ability everyone’s talking about pay off for the Ducks.

The biggest long term question I have about Butters is, “What is his ceiling?”  This is part a Lanning problem, albeit a good one.  DL has quickly shown us his ability to recruit top-notch players.  5-star guys like Jaden Rashada paying the Ducks a visit may become the norm in Eugene.  I like a lot of what we saw from JB, but where does he athletically top out in relation to some of the shiny new toys that are coming to town. 

So, no one really knows if Ty or JB can be the answer.  I think the consensus is that they are filling QB slots #2 & #3 at present, just as they should be.  But these guys need to remain diligent and continue to improve because the young talented gunslingers are knocking at the door. 

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

A lot of blame is due to the prevent offense.  Defenses started loading the box with 8 or more defenders. The result being unblocked defenders.

Add the missed blocks by a tackle or guard the QBs were ineffective!  An ineffective prevent offense = an ineffective QB!

• Thumbs Up 2

It is time to move on, fortunately we have with our coaching. Now we will see how the new coaches do and the old qb's do. Tyler will have his chance elsewhere, fortunately. 

I do agree the new coaching staff is going to be bringing in their guys. We may see the mass exodus once the new guys become the guys.

For now we have some great student athletes giving it their all to fit the mold the new coaches want to see. Time will tell how that will play out.

I tend to agree there will be new guys, taking over a lot of positions from players who don't develop. If there is one thing Lanning is clear on is everyone needs to get better, everyday. 5, 4 or 3 stars, you will have to earn your t to make the stars starts.

Thanks to everybody for chiming in. I asked for your opinions, and I got exactly what I wanted...educated opinions given with tact and honesty.  

I'm with the rest of you in that I wish him good coaching, an effective offensive line and some great skill position players to throw to 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

I liked Tyler.  like everyone else here I believe the previous coaching staff didn't do him any favors in the play calling or development.  wish him the best.  the hope is that this offensive staff can take a guy like Ty or Butters and give them the knowledge and playing time so that they take the next step.  Tyler really never had much of a chance here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shough was a tale of 2 seasons.  He played well is first 3 games, but then cratered his last 4 games.

I can definitely put some of this on the coaching staff, but as others had mentioned, Shough had some very costly TO's whether that be bad INTs or fumbles.

I wasn't impressed with his numbers this past season at TT.  He had nearly half of his yards in 1 game vs 1-11 FIU.  FIU was one of the worst 15 passing defenses in the nation last season.

Oregon stats 2020

DATE
OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% TD INT LNG SACK RTG QBR ATT YDS AVG TD LNG
Sat 1/2 vs10ISU
L 34-17
7 9 79 77.8 0 1 20 1 129.3 - 4 8 2 0 6
Fri 12/18 @13USC
W 31-24
8 15 91 53.3 2 1 23 2 135 28.2 10 7 0.7 0 9
Sat 12/5 @CAL
L 21-17
14 26 231 53.8 1 0 67 2 141.2 55.2 13 53 4.1 0 14
Fri 11/27 @ORST
L 41-38
20 31 285 64.5 2 2 60 1 150.1 63.2 8 6 0.8 1 6
Total     49 81 686 60.49 5 3 67 6     35 74 2.11 1 14

DATE OPP RESULT CMP ATT YDS CMP% TD INT LNG SACK RTG QBR ATT YDS AVG TD LNG
Sat 11/21 vsUCLA
W 38-35
19 30 334 63.3 3 0 49 4 189.9 77.6 11 31 2.8 0 23
Sat 11/14 @WSU
W 43-29
21 30 312 70 4 1 71 1 194.7 92.1 9 81 9 0 33
Sat 11/7 vsSTAN
W 35-14
17 26 227 65.4 1 1 44 0 143.7 89.9 11 85 7.7 1 25
Total     57 86 873 66.28 8 2 71 5     31 197 6.35 1 33

REGULAR SEASON STATS 106 167 1,559 63.5 13 6 71 11 160.4 74.2 66 271 4.1 2 33

The idea of Tyler Shough was much better than actual player that we got. You've gotta think that a guy that spent 2 years behind the future 2020 NFL offensive ROY would come out guns blazing and ready to compete for similar stats. After all, Shough boasted basically the same physical attributes Herbert did when he took over the starting position at Oregon.

The biggest difference, and ultimately his demise, was that he played to the level of the coaching rather than in spite of it as Herbert did. Through 3 years Herbert had 3 difference OCs and had to adapt to 3 different ways of running a Power 5 offense. Just writing that statement and looking back over it again makes me admire the beast of a player that he was during his time at Oregon. But the fact is that Herbert used skills that he developed separate from, and DESPITE the constant coaching down and lack of ingenuity by his play-callers. Shough simply digested everything he was coached and essentially remained at the level of his coaching.

Take the first game Herbert played in for example. Washington completely nuked us yet Herbert never lost an ounce of confidence. In fact, he gained confidence as the season and subsequent years went on. Shough's play in the Cal game and the Civil War showed him going in the exact opposite direction. Coaches can't be entirely to blame for this because if we again compare him to his predecessor, Herbert made a pile of mistakes his first year. He owned each and every one of them and never wilted or even flinched. He shook it off, probably apologized in the locker room and went right back to work (You have to have a certain level of amnesia in high level sports).

Shough was the case of a player that allowed himself to have unattainable expectations lofted on to him. When the moment arrived, a combination of weak coaching, over-valued skillsets, and a lack of confidence led to a supposed diamond remaining a rather forgettable piece of coal.

• Great post! 1