Charles Fischer

Safety Jordan Happle Returning: A GOOD THING?

Jordan Happle is returning, and while that gives us experience in the secondary--did we want room for the newbies to develop?  Thoughts?

Mr. FishDuck

Yea I was secretly hoping he would bolt with Avalos but having depth and experience never hurts. All in all I'm ready for the new bloods to take over.

I could see that in the nickel or dime defense....and special teams--he could help us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I’ll admit that Jordan Happle isn’t my favorite. With the lack of experience at DB it doesn’t hurt to have more bodies and leadership, and if any of the younger guys are good enough to take away playing time then it’s gravy. Re-watching some of those games at times it was painful to see Happle’s lack of speed and poor tackling. It seems like 80% of the time he needs someone to help him finish the tackle. 

I recently rewatched that UCLA game where Happle won the Pac-12 DPOTW and had that key pick six. Everything just came out right for that to happen:

1. Adrian Jackson gets a sack and then a taunting penalty to encourage UCLA to take a shot. 
2. Chase Griffin hangs on the ball too long trying to do something and Brandon Dorlus hits him like a truck, causing a floating pass.

3. With no time left Happle begins to hoof it, and because the play was so slow developing the UCLA speed guys are behind him. A great block and hustle by KT gives Happle the lane to take it to the end zone. 

I want the best player at the position on the field.  If Happle has it, then let him play.  If he doesn't have "it" he will get buried in the depth chart. 

I don't think CHL would have transferred if he thought the coaches would play him over better players because he has "been there".  

Just my thoughts....

Players who have reached their ceilings will see the expectations for playing time go up. It will be the job of the incoming players to prove the star rating and potential isn't just hot air. The real judgement day is coming for all of the players, their talent and work ethic.

Some players will be like Noah and have their combination of talent and effort make it hard to keep off the field. Others may start off thinking they already earned playing time and have to work like never before. It should be fun to watch as the battle for playing time develops beyond the qb position.

I like Happle and he is a guy who knows football and tries hard. We need the 3* type of players to show the effort needed to reach the potential each player has. It is going to be Katleman up time. Nobody gets their position just because they were highly rated, you have to get after it.

Happle has an extra year of eligibility due to the COVID year... Plague Shirt? ... so he doesn't hurt our scholarship roster at all in that regard. He will fight for playing time and I do think he will get SOME... but I think the other safeties on the roster will push him out over the course of the year.

I don't think it is a good or bad thing... I think it would be deeply troubling for Oregon is Happle was a starting safety as that would signal a lack of development at the safety position.