Tandaian

Could the SEC break From College Football Playoff?

What am I missing?  Most of the country could care less if they wouldn't be part of the CFP.  College is way more local than professional sports. 

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0108%2Fr959296_1
WWW.ESPN.COM

Would the SEC think about really shaking up the college football landscape with its own playoff? Greg Sankey addresses that and more ahead of the league's spring meetings next week.

Texas                    29.7 mil

Florida                  21.9 mil               

Georgia                10.8 mil

Tennessee          7.0 mil

Missouri               6.1 mil

South Carolina   5.3 mil

Alabama              4.9 mil

Oklahoma            4.0 mil

Arkansas              3.0 mil

Mississippi          2.9 mil

Total                   95.6 mil

US has 332 million people.  Less than 1/3 of the population would have any type of rooting interest in the SEC.  Do they really think the TV deals would be great if they broke off?  The only reason why most people watch other conference games is to see what the competition is doing.  If the SEC broke off, why would anybody from the ACC, Pac 12, Big 12 or B1G TEN care?  I know I wouldn't care.  I hardly watch any SEC as is.

• Thumbs Up 1

This would great case of gluttony. The SEC will definitely be biting off more than they can chew with this. People do watch the Championship game. But it's because it is The Championship Game, not because the SEC is in it.

The SEC, Sankey, Finebaum, both realize that the monopoly that the ESECPN has created with the CFP is diluting interest in college football across the country, that the chase for No.1 in a fixed race is killing the sport. Let the SEC break off, the rest of the country will be just fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I like to think that the SEC stands only for the Securites & Exchange Commission.

• Haha 1

I posited last yr that we should kick them out if they didn't want to be more of an asset than a hindrance to CFB

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the SEC should leave the CFP.  That way we could have the other 4 conferences champions duke it out in a real championship tournament.

• Thumbs Up 1

its The other way around, CFP should dump the SEC. as long as they are in the room-nothing changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only watched the Championship Game last year because Dan Lanning was coaching otherwise I wouldn't have had any interest.

The SEC thinks of themselves as the minior league for the NFL and in many ways they are but so is the rest of College Football. If they broke off on their own they would still make money but probably not see much more growth than they are currently seeing, and might actually see a decline in their revenue. After all how relevant would Alabama if they were contained only in the SEC fish bowl?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are we missing something here?

Reading a good deal of the article (not all - yawn), It looked to me like the SEC wanted to have their own playoffs and then the WINNER of that playoff plays the winner of the rest of the country for the united championship. That would put 8 SEC teams in the playoffs.

At one point the writer of the article asked, "What if nobody wanted to play the winner of the SEC playoff?"

At least, that's what I thought it said.

Multiple options.  One was breaking away and do their own thing.

Not intrested in an all SEC play off. Didn't bother to watch it. I'd watch those damn Dawgs or even the filthy Beavers play in a natty but an all sec? Naaa.

Lot of SEC hate here, and I get it given the  way the SEC has dominated college football in the later BCS and the playoff eras. But until the other power 5 leagues regularly  show that they can  compete, any separate playoffs excluding the SEC will have to put an asterisk beside the name of its champion.

Anyone  who has  followed my posts on this forum knows that I  have argued for more parity in college football. I'll say again that an expanded playoffs is a  realistic contributor to that end. Growing up in Pac-12 country where I lived and died Pacific Coast football, I truly want to see College football west of the Mississippi river being able to strut its stuff on the national stage. In my opinion, it  serves neither the SEC or college football in general to break away--and  for some of the reasons posters here have mentioned. 

The vast majority of people who primarily for an SEC team would scream bloody murder at the prospect of balkanizing college football. That is an inappropriate proposal in my humble opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to be the best you have to beat the best. But if you think about it usually there are 3 or 4 teams in the SEC that are great. The big problem to  me is how those teams have 3 and 4 deep that dont transfer.

I see the SEC as the Kim Kardashian of football. Is she pretty? Yes. Do I need her reminding me of it every 30 seconds? No.

Granted, my family are die hard Razorback fans and it's pretty much the same with everyone in SEC country..."if we were in the PAC-12, we'd run the table. We play in the hardest conference in football. Come to a real conference and see how good Oregon does then..."

Edited by Wrathis

Interesting that an ESPN writer thinks the country is in love with the SEC as much as ESPN is!

Is that why largest TV audience in the past has been a B1G vs Pac12?!

There is no doubt CFB will be changing. If the SEC pulls away, then they will become an NFL minor league. All others will remain college football. 

The nation is tired of only SEC teams in championship, ESPN just can't see past their own $$$ interests.

The whole come to our conference and play holds no water.  Here is a list of P5 schools moving conferences during the 2011-2012 seasons.   The only conference not to have a new school win a division in the 1st four years is the Pac 12.  Missouri won the SEC East in year 2 and 3. 

Texas A&M with all Big 12 recruits gave Alabama their only loss of the season in 2012.  Missouri performed the same their 1st 3 years in the SEC as the Big 12.  Texas A&M actually performed better in the SEC than the Big 12.

Does the SEC play good football absolutely, but trying to compare conferences is apples to oranges.  They all have their own quirks.  

The records below don't give the whole story because nothing will, but it is the closest one can get with come play in our conference.  It has been done and the SEC is on par with the rest of the P5 conferences.

Year Missouri   year Texas A&M   year Colorado   year Utah
2012 2-6   2012 6-2   2011 2-7   2011 4-5
2013 7-1 (1st)   2013 4-4   2012 1-8   2012 3-6
2014 7-1 (1st)   2014 3-5   2013 1-8   2013 2-7
2015 1-7   2015 4-4   2014 0-9   2014 5-4
Before 18-8   Before 16-10   Before 13-23   Before 33-6
After 17-9   After 20-6   After 8-29   After 18-19

year Nebraska   Year W. Va   Year TCU      
2011 5-3   2012 4-5   2012 4-5      
2012 7-1 (1st)   2013 2-7   2013 2-7      
2013 5-3   2014 5-4   2014 8-1 (1st)      
2014 5-3   2015 4-5   2015 7-2