FishDuck Article

Coach Dillingham’s Offensive Attack Philosophy Confirmed with Oregon…Again

My FishDuck Friends, I've created over 100 analysis articles over a decade, and I still gotta do one once in a while.  This one will take you about four minutes is all to read, and I think it will make you feel better about the direction of the Oregon offense.

Bo-Nix-to-Seven-McGee-TD-in-2022-Spring-
FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon Offensive Coordinator Kenny Dillingham has explained how he prefers a fast-tempo offense and in particular—taking advantage of one-on-one matchups that...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

You stated you are grateful, and I agree. Seems like there are stages we all go through in recovery from what we went through with the No O coach we had.

Anytime you go through such an emotional experience there are a set of emotional markers you encounter as you accept the future. The first one was confusion, then we had anger, followed by trying to make sense of it all. The last stages we are just beginning to feel.

The healthy sense of gratefulness is definitely one most if not all of us are experiencing. The final stage is the one I am anticipating with great impatience. The excitement of seeing our vision, and really our programs defining element come back.

An exciting, dynamic offense will be one of the greatest moments of this fall. We are all grateful, we are all now looking forward to the thrill, once again, of the O in Oregon coming back! That is emotional state I look forward to again being in Saturday after Saturday for the foreseeable future!

• Thumbs Up 2

It was when I was talking to Mike West on the phone about that play in the Auburn game that the premise of this article occurred to me.  So many of my article topics come up when I'm talking to my Duck-Buddies!

Seven McGee in 2022 Spring Game_Gary Breedlove.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/27/2022 at 10:00 AM, Haywarduck said:

You stated you are grateful, and I agree. Seems like there are stages we all go through in recovery from what we went through with the No O coach we had.

Anytime you go through such an emotional experience there are a set of emotional markers you encounter as you accept the future. The first one was confusion, then we had anger, followed by trying to make sense of it all. The last stages we are just beginning to feel.

The healthy sense of gratefulness is definitely one most if not all of us are experiencing. The final stage is the one I am anticipating with great impatience. The excitement of seeing our vision, and really our programs defining element come back.

An exciting, dynamic offense will be one of the greatest moments of this fall. We are all grateful, we are all now looking forward to the thrill, once again, of the O in Oregon coming back! That is emotional state I look forward to again being in Saturday after Saturday for the foreseeable future!

I agree!  With Lanning's defensive genius, both sides of the ball will be exciting to watch.

Edited by NJDuck

Oh man. That first play. The double juke at the end reminded of another speedster who is pretty much the embodiment of Oregon explosiveness. The Black Mamba himself, DeAnthony Thomas. And it feels only natural for number 6 to be be followed by Seven. 

I had such high hopes for Moorhead's offense, but it never really seemed to get going and open things up. 

Let's just hope that Lanning and Dillingham do more than just pay lip service to bringing Oregon speed and explosiveness back to the offense. 

As you all know...I WANT to Believe badly, that explosive offensive outputs become the norm again at Autzen.

X Files_Screenshot by Ella Morton.jpg

• Let’s hope! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks for the article and video Charles, and the break down. The video is telling. 

The video of the first play of the game it looks like LaDuke and Bassa at LB. Stephens is the field boundry safety we have come to 8 yards off the ball pre snap. The field side safety is just over 11 yards off the ball and whoever it is isn't getting snaps on game day. I will also note Veron played like 17 yards off the ball when in a one deep safety last year and he was sorta good?

When you watch the play Stephens comes up to 5 yards off the ball on the play fake, and LaDuke comes up past the play fake until he is two yards off the line. Stop the tape 4 seconds in and Bo has made his drop and planted his back foot, while LaDuke has just processed pass and has put a foot in the ground and just starts to drop into coverage. Not a good rep for LaDuke!

Meanwhile watch Bassa at the mesh point in a great position with his feet and balance under him. Bassa reads and reacts much better than LaDuke to the play and he keeps his feet under him better than Stephens and starts his drop at the same time.

Bassa really improved his reads late last year and is going to be huge at LB in pass coverage. 

Whoever the deep safety was there was a high low bracket on the field side away from him, and the deep guy should have got more depth on that high/low bracket. 

Back to Stephens, I'd think he would have deep third on his side? Or the deep safety had deep 2/3rds of the field, making it long way to go to give help over the top on the boundry corner? Regardless the deep safety was stuck on an island with Seven coming and waiting to react if he is going straight up the field or make a cut across. 

Let's go with your point of confusion/space and some poor defensive execution. Stop the tape at the 5 second mark and 3 WR's are in the route tree and all are over 12 yards deep with 4 defenders under them and Stephans looking towards the flat. Crocker took the DB inside past Stephens and he let them both go?

The second play we have 5 defenders on the goal line, Stephens is on the end opposite of Jamall Hill who you have the blue arrow on. Watch Stephens suck in on the play fake more than the LB's and look how the CB has Thornton with no inside leverage help from Stephens.

The play appears to be designed for Bo to have 2 slants at the top of the screen, but if Thornton runs a slant with no leverage from Stephens that's an even easier TD with his big body. Additionally, you have to wonder if we are intending to leave the CB there one on one with Thornton having to cover the fade with no inside help? 

That's asking a lot of a CB, seems like you ask him to sit fade and react to slant knowing he has some inside help. 

Stephens didn't look good on either rep, lots of questions and confusion.

Edited by DazeNconfused