Charles Fischer

Oohh! Kickoff Times Set and Game with OSU Moved?

I still struggle with calling it Civil War, or not...it is all so silly.  Regardless...I think it is a good TV move?

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I still struggle with calling it Civil War, or not...it is all so silly.  Regardless...I think it is a good TV move?

Well the problem with the game name at this point is that it hasn't been given an official replacement name. 

So I'll call it the civil war still because I don't have an alternative. In person I might say "the game formally known as the civil war" but that gets to be way too many words real fast.

Calling it anything else doesn't have any context for other fans. You know ... The whole reason why words have meaning so we all know what we are talking about. 

So for now calling it the civil war is what it is... Just waiting for it to have a new name which at this rate may never happen it feels like. 

Though I'd be fine calling it "the yearly beaver butt kicking" 

It is and has always been the Civil War to me. I really do try to not offend anyone if possible, but there's only so far I'm willing to go in that quest...

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Axel
On 5/27/2022 at 8:38 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I still struggle with calling it Civil War, or not...it is all so silly. 

The perfect name for the annual Oregon-Oregon State gridiron contest is so obvious. I'm pretty sure that all of us are wondering why the following name hasn't already been made official:

"The Not War of Rebellion Nor War of Secession Nor Mr. Lincoln's War Nor War of Northern Aggression Nor War for Southern Independence Nor War Between the States Nor War of Yankee Aggression Nor War for States Rights Nor War for the Union Nor War for the Confederacy Nor Second American Revolution Nor War of the North and South Nor War of Separation Football Game."

Glad the game vs the Beavs will be on Saturday rather than Friday.  The USA vs England men’s World Cup match will be that Friday.

I could get behind something like "The I-5 Feud" or "I-5 Interdiction"/Infiltration".

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/27/2022 at 9:39 AM, Axel said:

"The Not War of Rebellion Nor War of Secession Nor Mr. Lincoln's War Nor War of Northern Aggression Nor War for Southern Independence Nor War Between the States Nor War of Yankee Aggression Nor War for States Rights Nor War for the Union Nor War for the Confederacy Nor Second American Revolution Nor War of the North and South Nor War of Separation Football Game."

It is great enough that you make me laugh at all the other opponents of the conference, but to make me LOL over this....epic.

Agreed.  Axel is the man!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Nailed it! Let's go with this.

I call it the war of the have's and the have nots--The Beavs are the have nots.

• Haha 1

We could go with the old "Hippies vs. Aggies" as a few called it in the 60's-70's. 

The Platypus Battle, or “The Platty” sounds good to me. 

How about the Duck/Beav Rivalry game?

The players are making money, choosing the uniforms, maybe they should be asked to come up with the new name. I certainly think as most of our players are African Americans, and many with relatives who were slaves we should respect what they think of the name, Civil War, as the name of the game they are asked to play in. 

It would be interesting to learn what they think of the name. It could be called the Hazelnut Bowl, and I wouldn't care, as long as we beat the Beavs. It could also be called the Nike Bowl one year, and then the Reser Bowl with the proceeds going to a charity if that make it more palatable. Sell the name, I don't care, but make a decision!

I'm sticking with my "Valley Classic" name. Offends no one. Not that the CW bothered me either. It seems there's always some minority somewhere that dictates what the majority gets for good or bad. 

Edited by GODUCKS15
  • Thumbs Up 2

Aquatic rodent beat down

Two things ...

1) Copyright it first and buy yourself a cup of coffee with your residuals.

2) If the network uses it, there won't be time for commercials. Right On!

• Thumbs Up 1