Charles Fischer

Canzano: Zero Pressure on Oregon Ducks in Season Opener vs. Georgia

Some good stuff to chew on here...

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

A look at some big Pac-12 non-conference games.

Mr. FishDuck

That's some serious SEC honking there, you can only lose what you have. Oregon has a new coach, a new QB, new OC and DC, Georgia has the Natty in their pocket and is primed for another one. If Georgia doesn't cover with points to spare, it's bad. If Oregon is in the game to the 4th quarter, Lanning and company are off to a great start. The only drama before the game for Oregon is whether Corso and The Duck have a hug. 

I would argue the opposite. Oregon has no identity under Lanning. All we have is a growing expectation in which Dan Lanning is doing everything right. The game against Georgia will define Oregon, until enough data is available to change the way we look against Georgia.

Georgia already has a definition of who they are as a program under Smart. They have struggled, at times, and always come back and even won a national title. If they struggle and even lose they will be fine. There may be some panic, but they have a proven head coach who can lead a team.

If Oregon gets beat badly or struggles mightily the pressure will grow, and unanswered questions will arise. This is why the first impression is so important. People who understand relationships understand the first impression is critical. I can only imagine what will be said if we lose to Georgia, and then BYU. All we have now is projections on how a game will go, a point spread, and expectations, some wildly optimistic, what if that thinking is blown away?

This will be Dan Lanning first impression on the nation and the Duck Nation. The pressure will be huge!

Imagine you have only dreamt of doing something and never actually done it. The marriage between Oregon and Dan Lanning will truly begin when we play Georgia. Not necessarily where a first time coach wants to be defined in his first act as a coach.

You have been training all your life, and your first race is the Olympic trials. You have been going to school all your life and then your first job is as CEO doing a reorganization. All eyes are on you and there is no pressure, come on!

Well, I would like to think that most people understand the enormity of the task for a first game, and knowing Lanning is new--will cut him some slack.  The remaining games will give us a better indication, IMHO, because we will see if there are in-game adjustments or not, does the team play "down" to the opponent, etc.

In other words,...did we flush the time with "Mari" out of our system?  That takes longer to see.

Kirby Smart and Dan Lanning_Jeff Sentel of DawgNation.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/27/2022 at 11:49 AM, Haywarduck said:

I can only imagine what will be said if we lose to Georgia, and then BYU. All we have now is projections on how a game will go, a point spread, and expectations, some wildly optimistic, what if that thinking is blown away?

I cannot imagine ANY scenario in which we lose to BYU.  There are plenty that project a loss to the Cougars.

Not going to happen.  We've seen two examples already of what is about to happen on offense (the Alamo Bowl and our Spring Game).

My question to the pundits is, if Oklahoma couldn't stop our young receivers, what makes anyone think BYU ( or even Utah) can.

About Utah, some have said tOSU lucked out because the Utes were missing three key players in the secondary that day.

I saw what should have happened in both our games last year against the Utes.  They can't stop our receivers.  And BYU certainly won't.  

This is going to be the first year Bo Nix has three F23s.  He is going to be looking at plenty of wide open WRs to get the ball to this year.

If Dillingham uses that jet motion part of the offense often, OBD Will scorch Earth. 

Let's see what happens. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the Ducks can be more than competitive. The Dawg Defense lost serious cohesive talent to the NFL. They too will be untested in live action. 

Georgia never really had a dominant offense last season. Credit to them for doing enough to win it all, but Stetson Bennet is not big, not fast, not tall, nor does he possess a plus arm. He can be rattled. He will be rusty. He is beatable. 

Oregon’s defensive line returns a ton of talent and adds two starters to compete.

Pass rush can and will come from everywhere. 

The LB Corp is deep with speed and there’s both some speed and length in the secondary. 

To me, Lanning took over a pretty talented roster and has improved it. Flowe and Others are back as well. 

The offense looks 100% different and ready to push tempo pace and spread the ball around, while looking to exploit matchups in the passing game. 

Matchups that can potentially include lining up 5 pass catchers who are 6’5” and taller. That’s tough to defend. 

Bo Nix if he starts gives great experience and familiarity with the SEC big stage. If he’s not the starter then  Ty or Butters must be pretty special to beat him out. 

The opener is a huge game. We find out what kind of coaches Lanning and company really are. 

The talent is there. The roster was not bare and has improved dramatically. The measurables alone are a massive step forward at WR and RB. 

While the pressure might not be present from the outside world the pressure to seize the opportunity is massive. 

A havoc oriented speedy defense pressuring Georgia as Georgia does to others and then forcing their defense to play quickly cohesively communicate accurately and then defend Oregon’s length height size and speed all over the field. 

Which online betting can I do from CA? I want Ducks and 17.5 all day long. 35-26 Ducks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2022 at 11:49 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would argue the opposite. Oregon has no identity under Lanning. All we have is a growing expectation in which Dan Lanning is doing everything right. The game against Georgia will define Oregon, until enough data is available to change the way we look against Georgia.

Georgia already has a definition of who they are as a program under Smart. They have struggled, at times, and always come back and even won a national title. If they struggle and even lose they will be fine. There may be some panic, but they have a proven head coach who can lead a team.

If Oregon gets beat badly or struggles mightily the pressure will grow, and unanswered questions will arise. This is why the first impression is so important. People who understand relationships understand the first impression is critical. I can only imagine what will be said if we lose to Georgia, and then BYU. All we have now is projections on how a game will go, a point spread, and expectations, some wildly optimistic, what if that thinking is blown away?

This will be Dan Lanning first impression on the nation and the Duck Nation. The pressure will be huge!

Imagine you have only dreamt of doing something and never actually done it. The marriage between Oregon and Dan Lanning will truly begin when we play Georgia. Not necessarily where a first time coach wants to be defined in his first act as a coach.

You have been training all your life, and your first race is the Olympic trials. You have been going to school all your life and then your first job is as CEO doing a reorganization. All eyes are on you and there is no pressure, come on!

Don't think most of the pressure is on the Ducks and that is proven. Lanning really has nothing to prove except beating Georgia on about an un neutral site you could be at. This is a home game for them no doubt. LOL as this is crazy yet never say never and I new Oregon would beat OSU. The odd's were just to good for Oregon to finally win that game. Oregon has a huge amount of talent so don't say never. This was a game I figured Ducks would lose and I expect Oregon to go W/O a loss in the PAC 12. Final 11-1

I don’t think the pressure is on the Ducks either. Dan is not expected to win this game but there is little doubt that they have the ability and talent to do so. 

If the players will buy in, which I think is already a fact, and execute like the studs they are then there is little doubt to me they will cover the spread.

The key will be is to win the turnover battle and if they do that they will not only cover but win this game.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

This is the 1st game I've shelled out the money to travel to and attend in 26 years.  I hope they play loose, and my boy gets to see a good game!

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Love the defense of Dan and his staff, from the contrarian view I created. I just hope that same support is there if he does have a tough time first time out and stalls it a few times. I remember Chip first time, Kellen Clemens first time, and I also remember my first time driving a stick shift.

I had watched avidly for years, but I still killed it too many times before mastering it. I love to give the contrarian view when we all seem to line up facing the same way. It is important so see the other direction, because that just might be the perspective we have after the game. Go Ducks and I love Dan Lanning, proud to say it!

Devil’s advocate is always a good position to take, and I applaud it, however it’s hard to make the case for extreme pressure on the Ducks (or the Bulldogs, although their image would suffer) simply because it is a first game. Pressure in football mounts with succeeding games - it’s development that counts in the eyes of judges. Lose the first, okay, how did you respond in your next game? Lose the last? You’re out.

There's a lot of pressure on the Ducks -Canzano can kiss my rear end. The Ducks --Our Ducks have boatloads of $$ and publicity. To lose wouldn't  be terrible but to lose bad would be. Lets not forget that the Ducks are in the top 5% of all $$ income football college programs. Its time to put up or shut up. Its time to SHOW ME THE MONEY.

Back in the day we didnt have money -things were different then. Utah has never been a top recruiting school and neither are WSU, the Beavs or even Boise St for that matter. 

Dan Lanning -notice has been served--all the above teams have beat us when we were a big $$ program.

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1

Keep your receipts. Chips first game as HC-mailed a check to a guy after he complained about the cost to travel to Boise to watch the Ducks get stomped into a mud puddle on the blue. the best Oregon hit on that day came after the final gun. Not an auspicious start for the chipster. 

Edited by Flyin Vee
  • Mic drop 1

Pressure is relative to expectations. 

Few of us really expect the Ducks to go undefeated and make the playoffs in Lannings first year as head coach.

Yes he inherited a solid roster but few are "his" players. They are learning a new offense and new defense. They will be on the road in a hostile environment. 

Most expectations will be simply to play well and not get embarrassed. 

Georgia on the other hand is coming off a Natty win and will be ranked high and will have expectations to repeat. 

Plus, no head coach wants to lose to a former assistant. Coach Smart will have added pressure on him.

This is clearly a must win for the Bulldogs. So the pressure is all on them.

I would love to see us play well and have a chance to win in the 4th quarter, but if we lose, our hopes for the season remain. Canzano is right.

• Thumbs Up 2

Im not ok with us being another notch in the Nick Saban sweepstakes.

• Applause 1

Canzano dislikes the Ducks more than he is professionally allowed to or wants to lead on to- even if if he claims he has his own terms that afford that. He throws away money not throwing bones to the Ducks or the Portland Trailblazers- and that's fine. It's surely not the journalist I'd want in a tiny populated state with two amazing, storied options to cover.

He's a great writer and speaker, though. I wouldn't want him to go against his mantra. That said, Georgia is the second biggest game of the year to lose, only compared to the bigger one that we may lose, in the PAC Final. I'm assuming we only have two losses tops (as always), so how would that most devastational loss be "zero pressure"?

Always assume 10 or 11 wins, I'd say. 

• Thumbs Up 1