ICamel

What's Up With Softball Program Transfers?

VE6TEBBKUVCYLMUR3NL36BS5BY.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Kliethermes went 11-7 with a 3.65 ERA and 116 strikeouts over 117 innings for the Ducks this season

7ZIJNYN7TJB3PJ6P7OYHDYFE7U.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Williams hit .233 with two home runs and 16 RBIs while appearing in 40 games with 32 starts for the Ducks this season

7ZIJNYN7TJB3PJ6P7OYHDYFE7U.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Herrera hit .282 with two home runs and five RBIs while appearing in 33 games with 13 starts for the Ducks this season

HKNSLW5ZZVF6JEG6XHNEQITHZY.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Cid hit .252 with four home runs and 13 RBIs this season, all career lows, but raised her average to .308 with two home runs and six...

The new era of college sports.  Unfortunately I'm old school and I feel my interest waning.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really love the program that Coach Lombardi has developed here at Oregon! 

I also know you can only tell so much about a team when you are on the outside watching games and not on the inside seeing the day to day! 

With that said, happy trails to the ones leaving the program and we are really looking forward to the team coming back including what will certainly be a great group of new recruits. 

Our pitching staff next year I believe will be as good as any in the Nation! Stevie showed her potential and we all know how good Brooke is. Would love to see a really good lefty added to the group, but they are going to be awesome! 

Lots of very talented position players and I for one can't wait to see them play next year! 

Go Lady Ducks!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Don’t want to be here then don’t waste the coaches energy. Thank you.

You never know what goes on inside the program between chemistry, and perceived opportunity (or not) by a player for next year.

What do you want to bet that Coach Lombardi does well attracting new players in the portal?  She has thus far...

Melyssa Lombardi confident in ability to push Ducks to new level

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Seeking playing time…

Nothing to do with portal realities, nor Lombardi’s worth and potential to get us there, but, in looking at what Texas has done,  is anyone else revisiting one of Mullen’s biggest blunders in letting Mike White go for the price of an assistant football coach?  

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I think it is an interesting discussion.  Mike White peaked out IMHO at Oregon.  He was the No. 1 seed going into the College Womens World Series twice and didn't get higher than 5th place?  I do not think he could win the big one at Oregon--my view.

I think someone else said it best; Mike White was paid the most at Oregon of any softball coach in the US who had not won a 'Natty.  And he hasn't set the world on fire yet at Texas, although he has a chance to get into the WCWS today.

Mr. FishDuck

There certainly may have been burn-out - on both sides of the fence - not to mention the high probability of a contentious relationship between White and Mullens. Personally, I would have liked to see him given another one or two seasons.  Guess we’ll never know. But that never stops us from speculating!

Edited by Washington Waddler
spelling

I wasn't happy when White left but was frustrated by the great seasons and flame outs in the NCAA's. It was a money grab for him and Texas, he made that clear, so I appreciated the honesty. It was more painful to see the players leave, and the waters were murky when Lombardi got here.

But Lombardi is a proven winner and has done a really good job under the conditions we all recognize. She's getting "her" Ducks now. If these Ducks don't want to stay the door is even easier to see now, and don't let it hit them on their way out. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 5/28/2022 at 3:43 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Nothing to do with portal realities, nor Lombardi’s worth and potential to get us there, but, in looking at what Texas has done,  is anyone else revisiting one of Mullen’s biggest blunders in letting Mike White go for the price of an assistant football coach?  

I believe Rob Mullens had no other choice but to let Mike While leave.  Too expensive to keep him.

Oregon started planning for a new softball stadium in 2013 which eventually came in at over $16 million.  In 2014 White got a new contract then renegotiated an additional 15% raise plus an increased staff budget the following year after flirting with Arkansas.  When Texas came calling they were willing to double his Oregon salary.  Oregon wisely let him go.

Mullens is smart and fiscally prudent which is why the Oregon athletic department is basically self sufficient.  Coaching salaries for 18 varsity sports are a huge expense and must be managed wisely.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, McDuck said:

The new era of college sports.  Unfortunately I'm old school and I feel my interest waning.

Agree McDuck, don't like what is happening in college sports.

Happy to see this!

• Whew! 1