mrspenney

NIL, Lanning, AD Mullens, Knight

I think that many did not realize how prepared Mullen and Company were for the oncoming of NIL, I sure wasn't.  I think that when Mullen hired Lanning it had a heck of a lot to do with not only Lanning's reputation as a quality coach, but his reputation as an outstanding recruiter.  It's obvious to me, looking back that Mullen had met with the major donors to the Duck AD and set up the beginning of a very well planned and laid out NIL program for the Ducks.  Lanning certainly has put together not only an excellent group of coaches as far as coaching is concerned, but also a fantastic group of coaches that are some of the best recruiters in the game.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Oregon staff has hit the ground running in seemingly all areas of the athletic department. Not only is football going well, but seemingly all other Duck sports as well in the recruiting area.

In my opinion a tremendous amount of credit goes to Rob Mullen who saw what was coming and prepared for it.

• Thumbs Up 3

He has not been perfect, but he has done an outstanding job hiring coaches and achieving at a high level for just 19 sports.  He made some mistakes with the football contracts, and that is for another time.  But he may have just made the "hire-of-his-life" with Dan Lanning.

Rob Mullens_ESPN Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

UG had the highest recruiting budget in college football, the last two years at least. They spent 1 million more than Bama and three times as much as the Ducks in 2021, and they spent I think 1 million more in 2021 than 2020. I'll find and post the links.

I'd reckon Dan got Mullens to commit some of the truck load of money they weren't paying to Mario to go towards a HEFTY increase in our recruiting budget. Dan also and poached Malchow from the Aggies who had the best class this year as his chief of staff. I wouldn't be surprised we have at least doubled our recruiting budget, and I wouldn't be surprised if Dan got that commitment as part of his hire. 

I also reckon Mullens got a bit of an eye opening that Dan had a plan to recruit as well as Mario if not better. It was sort of a no brainer to hire Dan who was the hottest young defensive mind in college football, who had worked under Saban-Smart, had a plan to boost recruiting, and taking the best from those programs and bringing it here. 

As far as NIL goes, my understanding is that the Schools can have no role in setting up or getting NIL for players. Schools basically set a NIL compliance guideline and can advise players to make sure the deals they sign are in compliance and that's it. 

My understanding is if Mullen's worked with donors on setting up NIL he isn't in NCAA compliance. It seems to me the only thing NIL Mullens can talk with donors about is Compliance Guidelines.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty good article from last fall, written by an actual reporter with knowledge of the subject.  I'm not familiar with the Oregon Accelerator program mentioned near the end.

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200
WWW.FORBES.COM

Phil Knight, along with other Oregon alums and donors, are starting a new NIL company focused on Oregon student athletes. Sabrina Ionescu will serve as Chief Athlete Officer.

On 5/30/2022 at 5:44 PM, McDuck said:

Pretty good article from last fall, written by an actual reporter with knowledge of the subject.  I'm not familiar with the Oregon Accelerator program mentioned near the end.

0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200
WWW.FORBES.COM

Phil Knight, along with other Oregon alums and donors, are starting a new NIL company focused on Oregon student athletes. Sabrina Ionescu will serve as Chief Athlete Officer.

Good link.. someone educate me here so I don't to research.. we got the beer guy, shoe guy, machinery guy..

what's Kilkenny and Morse do? and don't tell me one of them makes international potato salad, I won't fall for that!!

I'm not really strong on boosters and Alum stuff, not my thing.. 

Kilkenny made his bones in Insurance. Not sure about Morse.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:25 PM, woundedknees said:

Kilkenny made his bones in Insurance. Not sure about Morse.

Jim Morse is 3rd generation owner of Pacific Lumber

On 5/30/2022 at 3:31 PM, mrspenney said:

I think that many did not realize how prepared Mullen and Company were for the oncoming of NIL, I sure wasn't.  I think that when Mullen hired Lanning it had a heck of a lot to do with not only Lanning's reputation as a quality coach, but his reputation as an outstanding recruiter.  It's obvious to me, looking back that Mullen had met with the major donors to the Duck AD and set up the beginning of a very well planned and laid out NIL program for the Ducks.  Lanning certainly has put together not only an excellent group of coaches as far as coaching is concerned, but also a fantastic group of coaches that are some of the best recruiters in the game.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Oregon staff has hit the ground running in seemingly all areas of the athletic department. Not only is football going well, but seemingly all other Duck sports as well in the recruiting area.

In my opinion a tremendous amount of credit goes to Rob Mullen who saw what was coming and prepared for it.

All great points. These coaches are running with this and look at June and recruiting? The best talent ever is going to come here and hang out and whatever going on here were going to enjoy it all. Only thing I can think of why we'd fail in any way and that would be injury's. I think we've had our share and can we please have no injuries this season please. Also believe this is what comes from the transfer portal and recruiting as in players who can play in space. Go Ducks as I can't wait till September.

It was a while back, so I can't recall the exact details, but the year Oregon played Auburn for the NC, they lost some (almost surprisingly) small number of starts from projected starters on the year due to injury.

Don't quote me on this, but my recollection is it was somewhere around 16-18 starts from the projected 22 for the year. Flowe by himself almost hit that in 2021.

Somebody can correct that if in error.