Charles Fischer

Did You Hear the Latest? Mr. FishDuck is STALIN!

As you can imagine, I do get some pushback from new members, those accustomed to being nasty on other sites.  One recent new member emailed me to say that my rules looked they were right out of a Stalin-Playbook!

That made me LOL...I am compared to one of the world history's most depraved killers of his own population because I insist on civility?  Whew!

I cannot tell you how many of you tell me to "stick-to-my-guns" on the rules, and in fact just yesterday a new member who has posted great stuff told me precisely that on the phone. I love our community, it is not large and our ways don't appeal to the majority of people, and I don't want to.  We are an exclusive group, not by subscription, but by behavior.

BTW...I just ran the numbers on the forum since we began in late September; over 35,000 posts with a deletion rate of only 1/3rd of 1%!  So many people agree and want to live this way as well, and come this fall--we are going to have a blast during football season!

I don't think of myself as Stalin...maybe a different leader?

Uncle Sam.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

And we need Fishduck!!  🙂 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Quackerbacker said:

And we need Fishduck!!

I second that!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey, Stalin made the trains run on time, right?  

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

Keep up the good work Mr. Fishduck!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am very afraid to reply to this. 

• Haha 1

I’m not. People like that get the Gulag they’ve earned.

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s your site… what don’t they understand? Follow the rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had one fellow about two months ago tell me that I was the equivalent of Joseph Stalin, because I would not allow him to insult anybody who disagreed with him with impunity.

Then I guess I am guilty as charged!

For those of us on the forum, being nice to each other comes natural, whereas for these others… I don’t think it does!

Mr. FishDuck

This is the forum with decorum!  If posters can’t be civil, I certainly don’t want to read their drivel.

Thanks Charles, for creating and maintaining a happy and safe playground for like-minded Duck fans!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

For 10+ years, Fishduck (forum too) has been a place of civility, respect, and best of all, a great source of Duck learnin'. With great articles, and great comments. 

It's a simple recipe. Great leadership, and great players. 

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1

Amen to these responses. Posters on OBD Forum are insightful, informed and occasionally very funny. We are all passionate Duck fans but try to keep our pie-in-the-sky impuses under control. We may show apoplectic, rabidly hydrophobic and irrational hatred of everything Fusky, but I say, why not?

Stalin did make the trains run on time. Usually to the western front, the gulag and the Molotov cocktail factory. And he coined the quintessential phrase about communism, "You pretend to work, we pretend to pay you."

Charles, you are not Stalin. Or Marx. Or Lenin. Or Groucho, Harpo, Chico, Zeppo, Gummo, John, Paul, George and Ringo. You run a good website. 

Go Ducks!

• Mic drop 1

Krsmqn and I belonged to a pretty cool Duck board that was eventually taken over by trolls and political talk. Places like that can go bad really fast. So we can really appreciate civilized football discussion. Im here to read and talk Ducks. Thanks for the site!!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Being held to a higher standard is greatly appreciated! Sadly, society is gravitating to everyone has 'Rights' but with little to no consideration of your neighbors 'Rights'. I have the Right to express myself but shouldn't demean another human being while doing so. Free speech is a beautiful thing, but isn't free if it attacks someone else's freedom. Ie. their dignity, or their self respect.

We can disagree. We can be passionate about said disagreement. But, my opinion is not more important nor believable because I say it louder or with more expletive's. I need to make my case in a succinct way and reason on said point. If I can't sway another, then my point is either wrong or I didn't do a good enough job. Both is on me.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

One would think a person could state their point without having to name call or bash others.  I don't there is an echo chamber here at this site, so it isn't like all of us are yes women/men wanting reinforcement of our opinion.

• Applause 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:47 AM, Tandaian said:

I don't there is an echo chamber here at this site, so it isn't like all of us are yes women/men wanting reinforcement of our opinion.

That is a great observation that I have not considered; since many give their up-popular view on a topic because they feel safe to do it--we become more accustomed to seeing quite divergent point of views.  Thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/2/2022 at 7:23 AM, 1Funduck said:

I have the Right to express myself but shouldn't demean another human being while doing so.

When dealing with new members who are pushing back on the rules...I could not count how many times I've written in emails what you have above.  It really is the foundation of what I want to accomplish here, and I really appreciate your pointing it out.

Mr. FishDuck

Since the real Stalin would have had the accusing commentor executed, I think we can say that Charles, you are no Stalin. 😀

• Thumbs Up 2

NO purple colors on the Forum Front Page Mr. Stalin!

Ha

Huck the Fuskies 

• Whew! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

приветствую могучего и благожелательного царя связи

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2022 at 10:53 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

приветствую могучего и благожелательного царя связи

"hail the mighty and benevolent king of communication"

That is some mighty lofty praise for Sir Charles!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:40 AM, shawnski said:

NO purple colors on the Forum Front Page Mr. Stalin!

When I have pinned posts...I want to get everyone's attention, and I will alternate colors as well.  While I've used Fuchsia as a color, using purple is jarring on the eyes, especially for this Oregon fan.  But if there was ever a time to use it...it is now, when I am compared to Stalin!

"Everyone on this forum as the right to express their view, in fact...I want to see all opinions here, on every topic.  This way we learn from each other and become more savvy fans.  But nobody, (including, Mr. FishDuck, Sir Charles, the Exalted Emperor, the Magnificent Monarch, the Supreme  Dictator-for-Life) has the right to denigrate others who offer a contrary view."

None of us here wear halos, in fact I've messed up too at times.  But we acknowledge our error, learn from it, forgive each other and move forward.  This community makes me feel so comfortable where I can actually do that.

Thank you to everyone for that.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

You sir cannot be Stalin, because I am Stalin (My uncles brother Castro approves of this message)

all in fun!

• Applause 1

I once complained to Charles about a “purple” as a pin color. Charles politely explained, paraphrasing here- meh I choose the color. I thought about that for a while and I decided to think - oh 4 Montana, every time I see purple. try it out.

Comrade Commissar, is good to be seeing you, pay no attention to Moose and squirrel !

• Haha 1

Charles - This site is fantastic because of the foundation you have set with the rules. When the rule breakers come visiting, 

tell them there are other sites more suited to their style, then kick them off! We're behind you 100%!

On 6/7/2022 at 5:18 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Charles - This site is fantastic because of the foundation you have set with the rules. When the rule breakers come visiting, tell them there are other sites more suited to their style, then kick them off! We're behind you 100%!

That is precisely what happened this last weekend, as I had two new people sign up and violate our rules immediately--and then insult me many times in the ensuing emails!  I explained that I do not need new members, but I do welcome the nice people to join us--always. And as you suggested--I told them that all the other sites out there are a better match for them.

But those two were banned immediately.  The good news is that none of you had to see the distasteful stuff, and the good news for me is that it is people like that duo--will continue to break the rules of being "polite and respectful," thus by removing them now--I save a ton of time in the future.

And we have retained a community of nice people--so thank you for your support.  But we do need to thank the moderators for catching the bad-actors quickly and hiding their nastiness from public view.  It is their time given that makes this a very unique site.  My sincere thanks to them!

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Anyway Khrushchev revealed Stalin to have been a Huskies fan, Beria too. 

• Haha 1

As one who has been admonished a couple of times because I  was guilty of not perusing closely the  blog rules, I can attest that  Mr FishDuck is actually quite civil in pointing out the errors of my ways. I had a minor disagreement on one of those occasions but, hey, it is  his blog not mine. 

Compared to some discussion boards I have visited, it  is  refreshing  to see differences  of opinion expressed here without any insults or name calling that sometimes devolve into p-----g contests that absolutely can destroy a thread. So good job overall Charles in policing the board.

• Thumbs Up 1

This means more to me than you know.

The biggest part that makes it a success, is the fact that you and so many others have been a great sport when they make a mistake. And as you saw recently, I am not immune to that either.

And a big difference is that we do it privately and it is not front and center to destroy the atmosphere that we have here.

Thank you. 

Mr. FishDuck

If it helps, Charles, I've never thought of you as Stalin.  

Idi Amin or Pol Pot, sure, but Stalin?  Nah.

😁

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is a great site being run top notch. So many good sites get ruined by folks with political nonsense. 

• Thanks 1