30Duck

Will Richardson is Coming Back for Next Season

Guerrier came back a couple of days ago, with Richardson back now the Ducks have a deep and talented team with experience. 

UCLA_22422-3978.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks guard Will Richardson will be back in Eugene for his fifth and final season after he opted to withdraw from the 2022...

• Thumbs Up 2

Sweeet!  Great news for us!!  When was the last time we had a full roster with 13 players on scholarship?  It is going to be tough to get everyone playing time, but this team should be very very good next year.   

Richardson, Dante, Soares, Guerrier, Butler, Wur, Bittle, Barthelemy, Cousinard, Rigsby, Williams, Ware, and Johnson.  

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's hope another Richardson, Nolan, will be the guide to 40 minutes and 94' of Hell.

He's back!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/1/2022 at 2:24 PM, Steven A said:

Let's hope another Richardson, Nolan, will be the guide to 40 minutes and 94' of Hell.

• Applause 1

I want to see a different Richardson next season. I want to see some FIGHT in the guy. Hell, he's practically Pritchard's adopted brother! Learn from your brother! Gimme half the heart Pritchard has and we win the Pac going away..............

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/1/2022 at 10:31 PM, SmithRiverDuck said:

I want to see a different Richardson next season. I want to see some FIGHT in the guy. Hell, he's practically Pritchard's adopted brother! Learn from your brother! Gimme half the heart Pritchard has and we win the Pac going away..............

This^

I also wanna see him lead in the locker room.   Dana said last year was the first that he didn't have to kick someone out of the gym after practice.  If Richardson wants to play in the league, that's what it's going to take.

• Thumbs Up 1

WR kind of fell apart at the end of last season.  Nay...he imploded and looked terrible doing it.  We have been told that he had some undiagnosed medical issue.  I hope it wasn't just the yips...because that is what it looked like.  My 72 year old wife could shoot better than he in his last 10 games.  The team has much better quality of depth at SG this year which should cheer us all. 

WR is experienced in this league and has a world of potential.  I hope he takes on SMITHRIVERDUCK's suggestion, plays with fire in his belly and assumes a demanding leadership role on the team.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thumbs Up 1

My guess is Dana will play him in a shooting role rather than at point. He just doesn’t have that driven, dominant personality that wants to take over the game. Situations can bring it out in him, but he needs to be able to bring that every game from within himself, and he’s just never shown that. He’s still a great player and real asset -  just not at point.

It wasn't an undiagnosed medical issue.  It was mono.

P6YJPKKRFRBVPNURXQTHB62X6I.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Richardson gave Dana Altman the go-ahead to disclose the nature of his ailment following Oregon’s season-ending loss at Texas A&M on Saturday.

Wow, that explains everything and thus we will see the "old" Will we knew from before!

Mr. FishDuck

How great is Dana's approach with his athletes?  Expect a lot, support a lot and respect their choices when it is time to move on.  Integrity still counts.

• Thumbs Up 1

An inspired, seasoned Will Richardson is just what a very good Dana Altman team needs. This is very good news, now bring back our old Will Richardson!

I hope they bring some attitude.

The best teams had swag and dudes who would throw some elbows.

Lately it's been boring and their record reflects that 

• Thanks 1

He didn't just disappear.  I believe he tweaked his leg/ankle at one point.  Then he smacked his head hard in the AZ game and was held out. Then 2 games later, at USC, he hits his head again and gets stitches.  We also know that came down with Mono sometime February.  

Dude was seriously banged up and sick.  He was playing at a VERY HIGH level before all that happened...shooting 57% from the floor and 50% from three in the previous 8 conference games before all that happened.  He was KILLING IT. 

If he can stay healthy, he is the type of player that can win us a conference title and help his team make a deep run in the tournament.     

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

His role will probably change as they have a real point guard with speed coming in. That is something they have lacked for years.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:08 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

His role will probably change as they have a real point guard with speed coming in. That is something they have lacked for years.

That's what I'm hoping happens. It remains to be seen if Dior Johnson is ready to step into a starting point guard role right away, but I hope he is. As far as I've seen--on the court only, of course--Will has all the tools EXCEPT next-level quickness. Regardless of what Johnson is--or becomes--I think Will's going to have a great season #5 with the Ducks.