Tandaian

Projecting Ducks Men's Basketball Starters for 2022-23

On Wednesday afternoon, Oregon Duck fans got the long-awaited news that point guard Will Richardson will be returning to the team. 

USATSI_15813576.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

With Will Richardson announcing his return, what will the starting lineup for the Ducks look like in 2022?

Oregon hasn't had this depth of talent since the Final Four team If all the parts can come together, a rotation of 8-9 without a drop in production, March could be Madness at Oregon. Dante has NBA tools, just needs to sharpen them up, Bittle had moments in every game that were outstanding. A re-energized Richardson, Guerrier and Barthelemy. Ware has the potential for the best freshman season in Oregon history. 

Twin towers? Has Dana ever come remotely close to considering the concept? Dante plays best, if not only, with his back to the basket. I don't know Ware's style of play, but I suspect it is more fully developed than Dante's. Dante at forward seems unlikely, though that may just be a position title being used by the writer. Guerrier had a tremendous first half to the season his final year at Syracuse, then his production fell sharply the second half. I have no idea of the reason for the drop off. Last season until the end, it seemed he was still stuck in the second half of his final Syracuse go-round. I hope his ending of this past season continues through the next into March.

For my view, there were issues last season with three guards who thought they should be starting. They just didn't mesh well. It looks like we could be headed there again in 2022-23. I'm a big Will Richardson fan. I like his penetration, his ability to score around the basket, his ability to dish off in the paint, and his willingness to work the ball inside to the bigs. When his three is falling, he's a pretty spectacular player, and he's on more than he's off. He's been criticized on some boards as not having the right personality to fit well as the lead point guard. Maybe there is some merit to that. He's not a spark plug, which is what I think Dana likes in a PG. Perhaps Will is better off at SG. He and Peyton did pretty well together with Will in the SG role.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

My mind is just beginning to comprehend how sneaky good this team could be. DEEP! TALENTED! TALL! 👍👍👍

I hope there is a Eugene Omoruyi, Arsalan Kazemi type of player that likes to mix it up down low! Greg Ballard & Doug Little type of player for us grey beards!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/2/2022 at 9:56 AM, ICamel said:

I hope there is a Eugene Omoruyi, Arsalan Kazemi type of player that likes to mix it up down low! Greg Ballard & Doug Little type of player for us grey beards!

Throw in a Mark Barwig, the most hated player in the conference!

• Haha 1

I can't see Dior sitting on the bench. As a 5* recruit that could have went to the G League he will want to play from the get go. I think he's the only true PG and therefore will be starting.

That leaves 1 spot for 3 players Will and the transfers Bartholomy and Cussinard unless Dana goes with 3 guards. That didn't work so well last year.

It will be interesting to see how Dana mixes his pieces this year. Do you see a headache or success? To me it's a toss up with so much talent.

Great point 1972.....one note though on Dior.  According to some, his ratings have dropped rather precipitously from their peak.  I am recalling this from a podcast, and could have some details wrong but he wasn't invited to the USA team tryouts and he might have struggled in some all-star tournament games against elite competition.  Further speculation included that Barthelemy was brought on for this reason to give Dior a year of seasoning.

• Thanks 1

I see a Benson / Pritchard situation here.  Barthelemy is going to start, but it will be hard to keep Dior off the floor.  He is going to get minutes.  

• Thumbs Up 1