kirklandduck

Where Oregon is With Jaden Rashada

Screen-Shot-2022-05-17-at-8.45.38-AM.png
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks are among the favorites to land 5-star QB Jaden Rashada, who will announce his...

Looks like Oregon is in the #2 seat at the moment, nipping on the heels of Florida.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure it is wise to spend too much money on a high school qb when there will be many proven guys in the portal, if history is any indicator. Not my money, but it would seem the wise money is spent on the kid who has proven himself on the college level. 

Times are a changing, and the spoils will come to the shrewdest program, not just the richest.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

An article about this topic on Monday!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Just read where Roman Rashada, a JUCO DB transfer and Jaden's older brother, committed to Ole Miss. Apparently both brothers were on visit there last week.

Wonder how this impacts Oregon's chances for Jaden?

usatsi_13507943_168390375_lowres.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

Lengthy defensive back is older brother of top QB Jaden Rashada

On 6/4/2022 at 7:53 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Just read where Roman Rashada, a JUCO DB transfer and Jaden's older brother, committed to Ole Miss. Apparently both brothers were on visit there last week.

Wonder how this impacts Oregon's chances for Jaden?

usatsi_13507943_168390375_lowres.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

Lengthy defensive back is older brother of top QB Jaden Rashada

I don't know if they're a package deal, though I would think that would factor in at least a little bit.

Something tells me $30 million is going to look foolish five years from now.

Stetson Bennet won a Natty for God sakes.

Realistically, how many title games are going to feature two top five QBs ( as in the number five QB in his class versus another top five QB of his respective class)? 

The next few years are going to be a riot.  I see many a teenage bust a coming.  From my perspective, does millionaire CJ Stroud justify anything less than a Natty?

Risk versus reward.  What is this kid ( in the article) really worth? And yes, he's just a kid.  And a massive risk at that. 

I seriously think A&M is going to faceplant. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not sure we need this guy unless he is a down to the earth kid.

We have five stars on the roster now and I am not sure how impressed I am.  

MC held one back and we may never see Ty take a meaningful snap as a Duck because of his pathetic all about me style of coaching.

Not sure why Ty has hung around unless he knows he was overrated. And maybe nobody has dialed his number.🤪

For the last 30-40 years players have won the Heisman Trophy who had no business playing at the next level. They had very good O-lines, great receivers and highlighted their play. Look at Johnny Football, NFL receiver who would catch anything he threw while at A&M. There are a massive amount of qb's who won the heisman, got drafted and then floundered.

What we are creating on the O-line and at receiver seems much more in line with winning it all than chasing after high school 5* qb's. I want to see Nix excel under Dillingham's guidance more than another 5* recruit coming into the program. 

Kids will fight to transfer to Oregon if Nix excels. The receiver room will be happy and the O-line will continue to be a pipeline to the NFL. That is the magic formula.

It isn't critical that Nix wins the starting job, but if he does and is in the hunt for the Heisman it will set Oregon up very well into the future. I suppose it will bring us back to where we were before Mari'no'O with qb's.

That is what I want to see along with fewer penalized yds. per game. Development of an effective passing game and more discipline.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 6/5/2022 at 7:36 AM, Haywarduck said:

There are a massive amount of qb's who won the heisman, got drafted and then floundered.

Most recently, Terry Baker and John Huarte. 😉

On 6/4/2022 at 4:26 PM, Haywarduck said:

Not sure it is wise to spend too much money on a high school qb when there will be many proven guys in the portal, if history is any indicator. Not my money, but it would seem the wise money is spent on the kid who has proven himself on the college level. 

Times are a changing, and the spoils will come to the shrewdest program, not just the richest.

Yeah I agree totally with you. Why on earth would you pay this kid 7 million like the last kid we were alleged to get. I mean I'm sure we could do it but when would it stop. Believe me this new recipe will not last. So we can only hope which ever way Oregon goes hopefully it results in the playoff's and our first championship.

If you are going to pay a kid millions of dollars, go get a proven college QB like USC did.  

On 6/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Most recently, Terry Baker and John Huarte. 😉

Even more recently:

Andre Ware

Gino Torretta

Danny Weurffel

Chris Weinke

Troy Smith

Tim Tebow …. 

and the list goes on

On 6/5/2022 at 10:22 PM, DUCKED said:

Even more recently:

Andre Ware

Gino Torretta

Danny Weurffel

Chris Weinke

Troy Smith

Tim Tebow …. 

and the list goes on

I was kidding. Hence, the winking emoji.

On 6/6/2022 at 9:46 AM, WiseKwacker said:

I was kidding. Hence, the winking emoji.

Missed that!

• Thumbs Up 1

You only pay 7 million for a untried HS quarterback if you have more money than brains. It is that simple. 

• Haha 1

Let's say we find a diamond in the rough...a 3* that flourishes ala Mariota.  That transfer portal will be mighty tempting when you hear that TA&M or ? will give you $6 mil to transfer there.  No, Oregon must play the money game or flounder. 

But as Charles says, enjoy the next 2 years before NIL gets completely out of hand.  Or you get tired of watching 18 year olds become millionaires, eschewing (mostly) the value of education, while you struggle to afford season tickets.  Or whichever comes first.

We will be fine for three years....and Oregon will get theirs in this environment.

So far....we came out ahead in the portal game between what was lost and what was gained.  Our high school recruiting is going well, so let's live it up while we can!

We'll still get our shots...
giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

We've heard it all before.

Oregon can't compete in recruiting because we're not one of the blue bloods, like Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, etc.

Oregon can't compete in recruiting because we're stuck in the Pacific NW, without a huge recruiting base.

Oregon can't compete in recruiting because we're not in the NC game every year.

Oregon can't compete in recruiting because Eugene isn't a major media market.

Oregon can't compete in recruiting because we're not in the SEC or Big 10.

Oregon can't compete with USC in recruiting.

Oregon can't compete on the national stage because other schools out-recruit us.

Now it's Oregon can't compete in recruiting because we won't pay billions to 18-year-olds.

So now it's just time to prove 'em wrong once again.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2022 at 12:15 PM, Mudslide said:

Let's say we find a diamond in the rough...a 3* that flourishes ala Mariota.  That transfer portal will be mighty tempting when you hear that TA&M or ? will give you $6 mil to transfer there.  No, Oregon must play the money game or flounder. 

But as Charles says, enjoy the next 2 years before NIL gets completely out of hand.  Or you get tired of watching 18 year olds become millionaires, eschewing (mostly) the value of education, while you struggle to afford season tickets.  Or whichever comes first.

Sorry Mudslide I have to disagree. we played in 2 nattys without out paying for players and should have won both except for some terrible breaks.

Now with nil it's really gotten crazy. I would rather take the high road and do the right thing. Build our team with team players not some prima donna.

I'm not saying don't offer anything but do not get into a bidding war were we waste our money on 1 player and then are not able to get other players that will be just as important. We know the portal will work, look at LSU with J Burrow.

I believe the smart play is to get more information about how this is going to shake out before we make any rash moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Sorry Mudslide I have to disagree. we played in 2 nattys without out paying for players and should have won both except for some terrible breaks.

Now with nil it's really gotten crazy. I would rather take the high road and do the right thing. Build our team with team players not some prima donna.

I'm not saying don't offer anything but do not get into a bidding war were we waste our money on 1 player and then are not able to get other players that will be just as important. We know the portal will work, look at LSU with J Burrow.

I believe the smart play is to get more information about how this is going to shake out before we make any rash moves.

1972, I think the Ducks only played in one natty.  They were also in another playoff but got their fannies handed back to them by tOSU. 

But I think we're mostly in agreement.  I hope the Ducks take the high road on this new playing field, for sure.  But no matter what, it will be costly in either money or results.  There is no question about that.  Charles gives us another 2-3 years before the mud really starts flying.  I'll give him that estimate.  But no matter what direction the Ducks take, they will have an increase in expenses.  And that means higher ticket prices.

I honestly do not think we can yet predict with any accuracy what the future of NIL will hold.  There may yet be some unforeseen agreements or laws that will dramatically affect, good or bad, the future of collegiate sports.  But I'm just an grumpy old codger who finds joy in the way organized sports used to be.  The greed factor has flooded pro and college sports.  For me, the joy and glow of organized sports has dimmed.  YMMV

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The tOSU game was for the natty as we beat FSU in the semifinals. Thanks for your take on it also. I'm also a greybeard and agree things have changed and probably not for the better. But as you and I know change is inevitable. 

Back in the day of leather helmets, the first professional league had trouble competing for players because of what the college teams payed. Perhaps in time the NFL will feel the impact.

A player can earn  nice nest egg and get a degree. Some may choose not to beat their head against a shield wall for a payday.  To speed this up the NCAA could extend eligibility to 5 years (or 6) and not count injury time against the 5 years.

just spit balling here but what happens when potentially very high draft picks choose not to play for the teams with high draft picks? 

If if you think of NIL as a rock, and you throw it in the big time football pond who knows the ripple effect?

Buckle up, the ride could be bumpy.

all in fun.

Duck’s NIL wait-and-see stance looks like the right path, if for no other reason than to watch how the QB bidding war plays out among the booster gambling addicts. QBs may prove to be ‘the canary in the coal mine’ when it comes to NIL dollars once a few of those high priced high schoolers have washed out.

In the mean time, our current strategy of keeping a close eye on QB portal activity while searching for that diamond in the rough looks like the right choice.

On 6/7/2022 at 11:12 AM, Duck 1972 said:

The tOSU game was for the natty as we beat FSU in the semifinals. Thanks for your take on it also. I'm also a greybeard and agree things have changed and probably not for the better. But as you and I know change is inevitable. 

1972, yeah, we're goofy both old codgers.  But to refresh...Oregon played Auburn for the Natty in 2010, losing 21-18.  Oregon played tOSU in a playoff game in 2015 and got their butts kicked 59-3.

On 6/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, Mudslide said:

Oregon played tOSU in a playoff game in 2015 and got their butts kicked 59-3.

Well, that is not my memory, as it was close into the fourth quarter and Urban Meyer added a cheap TD with less than a minute less in the game to lose 42-20 at the end of the 2014 season(2015 was the Alamo Bowl)

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/6/2022 at 12:46 PM, Duck 1972 said:

LSU with Burrow.....And:

Ohio State with Fields

Oklahoma with Mayfield and Murray

Utah with Rising

And now USC with Caleb Williams

It definitely works if you pick the right guy'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, that is not my memory, as it was close into the fourth quarter and Urban Meyer added a cheap TD with less than a minute less in the game to lose 42-20 at the end of the 2014 season(2015 was the Alamo Bowl)

Yeah, see?  1972 and I are both decrepit old codgers.  Thanks for the correction.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/7/2022 at 4:04 PM, Mudslide said:

Oregon played tOSU in a playoff game in 2015 and got their butts kicked 59-3.

i have no idea what the confusion might be, but this didn’t happen.

The ducks and Mariota played tOSU for the natty after beating Winston and FSU in the first ever CFP game. 

• Whew! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/8/2022 at 6:30 AM, DR Hilarius said:

i have no idea what the confusion might be, but this didn’t happen.

The ducks and Mariota played tOSU for the natty after beating Winston and FSU in the first ever CFP game. 

I think I must have had too much pomodoro pasta the day I wrote those.  Memory is a fleeting thing at 77.  🤪  Mea culpa.

Edited by Mudslide
  • Salute 1
  • Cool 1

default.png
247SPORTS.COM

Stay up to date with all the Oregon Ducks sports news, recruiting, transfers, and more at 247Sports.com

His father discusses each of the schools he's interested in.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 7:04 PM, Mudslide said:

1972, yeah, we're goofy both old codgers.  But to refresh...Oregon played Auburn for the Natty in 2010, losing 21-18.  Oregon played tOSU in a playoff game in 2015 and got their butts kicked 59-3.

Nope, Charles is right 42-20 after stomping FSU. Couldn't stop Ezekiel Eliot that game, but neither could anyone else, including Alabama. The 22 point final margin was a bit deceiving it didn't feel like Oregon was out of that game until near the end. A break here or there and the outcome could have been different. 

He dropped his "final" 5 and Oregon wasn't in it.

He did put the U but we are stacked at QB, not just our starter but our backups too.

If he ultimately signs with us I think he could be a transfer candidate in the future.

If he signs with us he in not playing right away, I would guess he would have to wait at least 1 year and maybe more and as high as he is ranked he probably won't want to wait.

Edited by Steven A
easier reading

On 6/16/2022 at 7:31 PM, stormrider said:

He dropped his "final" 5 and Oregon wasn't in it.

He did put the U but we are stacked at QB, not just our starter but our backups too.

If he ultimately signs with us I think he could be a transfer candidate in the future.

If he signs with us he in not playing right away, I would guess he would have to wait at least 1 year and maybe more and as high as he is ranked he probably won't want to wait.

Oregon prefers Dante Moore over Rashada.  There's another 4 star kid they like better as well.

I believe we sign 4*  Johnson out of Kansas after this weekend.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, OhioDuck said:

A break here or there and the outcome could have been different.

Being there, the only break that would have saved us was the team getting stuck in the elevator at the half.

Wonder if the outcome would have been better by us not losing in the FSU semifinal game WR D Allen who was our deep threat, which meant tOSU could pack the box.

Also we lost one of the top CB's in the country which meant we couldn't pack the box to stop Elliott. 

Just saying!

On 6/17/2022 at 9:50 PM, Steven A said:

Being there, the only break that would have saved us was the team getting stuck in the elevator at the half.

Get that, but momentum is a strange thing. When it gets headed down hill for one team it can be hard to stop. OSU was unstoppable to everyone they played. 

Injured QB, no problem for them, next former high school all American up. They just kept rolling. It was hard to stop that momentum. If something had happened to put momentum in Oregon's favor, who knows.

In the end, OSU was simply the best team in the country that year.

let’s not forget that tOSU got a full week of practice before the natty bc school wasn’t in session for them, while the dux had to limit practice bc u of o was in session. 

and let’s not forget darren harrington’s bonehead weed infraction that kept him out of the natty. 

and let’s not forget that royce freemen, our best runner, didn’t start the game and barely played in the natty for undisclosed reasons. 

add in the losses of devon allen and ifo after the semi-final game, and one could make a strong argument that the dux team on the field that destroyed FSU could have beaten tOSU. 

On 6/17/2022 at 5:57 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I believe we sign 4*  Johnson out of Kansas after this weekend.

Avery Johnson....apparently a freak athlete.

On 6/18/2022 at 6:06 AM, DR Hilarius said:

one could make a strong argument that the dux team on the field that destroyed FSU could have beaten tOSU. 

Yep, and if 'Bama hadn't blown the early lead against tosu, we would have had the Bama / Oregon matchup that we all wanted.

• Great post! 1