FishDuck Article

Oregon Will Not Pay Top-NIL for QBs: Should They?

I say hell no.  Of all the great QBs to grace Oregon's lineups, none were highly ranked.  I'd rather not have any Prima Donna's!

• Mic drop 1

We have had lightening in a bottle only twice. 2001 was incredible but an anomoly. 2010 and 2014 was an anomoly as well. 

Consistent top 10 rankings will need top 10 recuiting rankings as well. This is just a fact.

• Mic drop 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:18 AM, 1Funduck said:

We have had lightening in a bottle only twice. 2001 was incredible but an anomoly. 2010 and 2014 was an anomoly as well. 

Consistent top 10 rankings will need top 10 recuiting rankings as well. This is just a fact.

I'm not sure I agree.  Oregon was consistently a top-ten program for seven years from 2008-2014.  Basically, the time period in which Chip Kelly had influence on the program.  Not what I would consider a flash in the pan.  What is more alarming is the steep drop-off from 2015-2021.  In that context, the success in 2019 likes like an aberration.  Given the increase in talent levels (based on recruiting rankings), I view weakness in 2020 and 2021 as a further indictment of the previous coaching staff.  

End of season college football rankings as follows:

2021: 22nd

2020: 25th

2019: 5th

2018: NR

2017: NR

2016: NR

2015: 19th

2014: 2nd

2013: 9th

2012: 2nd

2011: 4th

2010: 3rd

2009: 11th

2008: 10th

2007: 23rd

• Great post! 1

I just wish NIL had started with sticking the toe in to test the water rather than cannon balling off the high dive.  The kids' expectations are way too high for doing nothing yet and everybody wants more than the last guy.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:23 AM, Duckman said:

I'm not sure I agree.  Oregon was consistently a top-ten program for seven years from 2008-2014.  Basically, the time period in which Chip Kelly had influence on the program.

Thats a skewed time frame. Oregon had an offense that was new to CFB. When Chipper left, CFB was starting to catch up. Oregon had track guys during those years. How many NFL laden players laced our roster? 

And, Oregon plays in the PAC which is notoriously average at best. Getting to the top in our conference wasn't hard. Having a 11-1 or 12-0 record isn't as hard as the SEC. I'm being honest and putting my green colored glasses back in the case on this one. 

It's just my opinion, but we had probably the most viable team in 2001. We had the most electric team in 2012-14. Outside of that? Its been above average at best. Mari's team was loaded with potential NFL talent,  but the offense was offensive. 

I truly believe that DL will take the outstanding roster and build an incredible 'Team'. The coming teams in the next 5 years will consistently be equal to the caliber of playoff teams in said years. USC will be as well. The PAC is going to shine in the coming few years.

Player ratings aren't all they are cracked up to be, although it's gotten better in the past few years.  This is an old article but it tells a story about the 2017 pro bowl that is relevant to the topic of blowing cash on NIL deals for high school athletes.  Basically ratings are a tool but they aren't the focus.   

I know that at one point the PAC-12 had the highest rating for 5-star recruits making it to the NFL AND staying more than 2 seasons.  As I recall in the 2000's the PAC-12 was considered to be a top notch conference for actual player development and that shifted on us but I can't say why exactly.

That is I think where the conferences future needs to be headed to stay viable.  The SEC is in a class of its own due to geography but the PAC-12 can return to innovation and the way to do that I think is to focus on getting every student athlete on the path to their full potential.  That means full-spectrum player development and not just recruiting highly rated players and focusing on position development alone.

From what I've seen of DL's approach that is his focus and the recruiting element complements that and doesn't replace it.  

• Thumbs Up 1