Tandaian

Utah's Defense can be Better in 2022?

I think in a bubble it could be true, but Utah was very fortunate last year with few injuries to their defensive starters.  Losing your two best defensive players usually means you aren't better the next year.

6.6-Rewind-1200x628.png
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Monday Rewind hits on Utah's defense in 2022, USC's backcourt, and Oregon vs. Miami.

• Great post! 1

Utah is also going to find themselves squeezed next year. 

Oregon is going to be better. Oregon's offense and defense will be better and they will get a whole lot more out of it's roster.

And USC is going to be better. I still don't think USC is going to be great but they are going to be trending in the wrong direction for Utah. 

• Thumbs Up 1

QB play

Injuries

Turn overs

Maybe (could have hit ceiling)

Probably won't be as lucky

Unlikely to duplicate production losing starters

Likely trending down 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/7/2022 at 8:33 AM, David Marsh said:

Utah is also going to find themselves squeezed next year. 

Oregon is going to be better. Oregon's offense and defense will be better and they will get a whole lot more out of it's roster.

And USC is going to be better. I still don't think USC is going to be great but they are going to be trending in the wrong direction for Utah. 

Don't forget about UCLA.  CK has absolutely crushed it in the portal 

• Thumbs Up 1

They played against the Mari'no'O Oregon at Rice Stadium and in Las Vegas. This season they will play Lanning's team at Autzen, as whole different ballgame.

Another thing about Utah is they, historically, build to a senior laden very good team. The key there is they build, and that process isn't always pretty. They usually have a couple off seasons then a good one. They are due for a poor season.

• Thumbs Up 1

What makes me think Utah will be as good as last year.......Rising. He was injured early in 20. Last year as the year progressed he got smoother every game.  

If they can protect him........hard to beat. The Utah offense reminds me of the old Stanford offense. Those TE's will be catching lots of balls.

Can Oregon beat them???? Yep......Oregon has the best talent in the pac 12 and now has a coach that knows how to coach them. Will Utah beat UCLA and USC......IMO the Utah defense will tear the USC and UCLA offensive lines up........ 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually think Utah’s defense can be better - not saying they will, but not my main worry next year.  The secondary was crippled with injuries at the end of the year - started a backup running back at corner in the rose bowl because he was the best option available - and they left him on an island to get shredded.   The d-line should be solid and can be better.  Secondary will be better if healthy and linebackers will be a drop from Lloyd but shouldn’t be a glaring hole if the d-line can do their job.

Keep your eyes on a freshman LB named Lander Barton.  Third brother to play at Utah - other two are in the NFL.  Reminds me of the Sewell brothers, only we didn’t lose the best ones to Oregon.

IMHO the key for Utah to not be 7-5 or 8-4 is can the O-line perform at a high level on both run and pass blocking.  Utah will need to score a lot of points to beat the better teams - Oregon, usc, UCLA.  If the line performs and the run gets going and he doesn’t get killed, Rising is capable of getting the team in the end zone.

• Great post! 1

Also hard to recreate the emotional motivation of losing 2 players and playing in their memory. 

As emotional as the game is I’d have to think there’s a little letdown in the extra motivation factor. 

but who really knows. It’s why they play the games and don’t just anoint winners. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:38 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

but who really knows. It’s why they play the games and don’t just anoint winners. 

Isn't that the truth. They aren't USC

The one thing they won't be lacking is EFFORT 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1