Steven A

NIL Mania: OSU's C.J. Stroud Gets a Bentley

Personally, I would hold out for a RR

stroud-michigan-getty.jpg
WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Stroud, a Heisman finalist in 2021, can trade in his lease for another luxury car as part of the deal

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1

I don't even know what to say. Owning my own log truck will keep me pretty busy 7 days a week if I let it. Just saying

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This is just greasy

What went from "total cost of attendance"

To a Bentley?

Come' on man

• Thumbs Up 2

Will this type of stuff affect their play on the field? Or be detrimental to team chemistry? Or are they so talented it won't make a difference.   

Trying to remember SMU. Did the buying of the star running backs help or hurt the team?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/8/2022 at 3:28 PM, Duck 1972 said:

Trying to remember SMU. Did the buying of the star running backs help or hurt the team?

It was a little different back then. Sure they knew they were getting $$$, but each ones total was on the down low.

Now it's all in the open and astronomically high. Really in your face.

Can't be good

I always wanted a Bentley Continental GT.  In the States, I enjoyed driving a Benz and then a Lexus, and was hoping someday to work my way up.

Man, I can't imagine driving any of those where I live now, with lots of two-way traffic on what should be one-way streets.  Some of the streets here were actually built originally by the Romans, and they didn't have to worry much about vehicle width in those days.

Now instead of aiming at a Bentley, I drive an old Citroen C1, powered by an asthmatic squirrel with a limp.  It has all the power of Emmitt Smith in his last desperate run with the Cardinals, but it's tiny and fits everywhere. I see people trying to navigate Bentleys and big Range Rovers here and I just laugh at them.

The ironic thing is that this is actually what NIL was supposed to be - Stroud making promotional appearances at the dealership and getting something in return.  Not recruits basically being given bags of cash to sign their NLI.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

In all honesty, I think this is exactly the way it was intended to work. They lease him a car and in return he promotes that dealership on social media and makes appearances at the dealership. I mean, I have ZERO issues with this and maybe some of our boys will make friendly with high-end dealerships in the area...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2022 at 1:52 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I drive an old Citroen C1, powered by an asthmatic squirrel

Yes, something about those Euro poverty cars. Army uncle brought me back a 1949 Volkswagen Beetle following his post WWII tour. 36 HP - I swear the engine said Singer on it.

Edited by Washington Waddler
extra word
  • Haha 1

Not that Stroud is hurting for cash, but are they also paying his insurance?  For a young single guy, the insurance is the highest it will ever be.  I imagine $500 a month?

Can’t drive one of those without a mink coat. Dare him to show up in the locker room with that on.

• Haha 1

Talking about insurance, I remember a buddies wife's insurance was more than hiring a chauffeur, back in the day. The last straw was parking the Rover on the edge of a cliff without the parking brake, in neutral. It almost stopped after hitting a couple cars, but not so lucky.

Not to say a male can't have the same scenario, especially a college kid with a Bentley.

As far as poverty cars, anyone fill up an American car lately!

On 6/9/2022 at 1:52 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I always wanted a Bentley Continental GT.  In the States, I enjoyed driving a Benz and then a Lexus, and was hoping someday to work my way up.

Man, I can't imagine driving any of those where I live now, with lots of two-way traffic on what should be one-way streets.  Some of the streets here were actually built originally by the Romans, and they didn't have to worry much about vehicle width in those days.

Now instead of aiming at a Bentley, I drive an old Citroen C1, powered by an asthmatic squirrel with a limp.  It has all the power of Emmitt Smith in his last desperate run with the Cardinals, but it's tiny and fits everywhere. I see people trying to navigate Bentleys and big Range Rovers here and I just laugh at them.

The ironic thing is that this is actually what NIL was supposed to be - Stroud making promotional appearances at the dealership and getting something in return.  Not recruits basically being given bags of cash to sign their NLI.

Buddy of mine has the convertible GT. Pearl white, with a deep rumble note from the exhaust. Beautiful car.

Stock photo below.

1712847F-875D-4D44-ABF1-1F66E303E646.jpeg.10887de7598b4b793a6b5712ff663c69.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, Haywarduck said:

As far as poverty cars, anyone fill up an American car lately!

I had 3 dates this past weekend that required me to fill up my Jeep 3 separate times...either I'm going to have to start dating closer or start picking them up on a bicycle! I spent more on gas than dinner and movie tickets. 

(as an aside, I've waited 35 years for the Top Gun sequel and Maverick DID NOT disappoint. 100% watch it in the IMAX!)

On 6/9/2022 at 4:58 PM, Drake said:

Buddy of mine has the convertible GT. Pearl white, with a deep rumble note from the exhaust. Beautiful car.

How that one didn't make it into our recent discussion on the world's most beautiful cars, I don't know.

There's a Bentley dealer here in town (not bad for a place with 170,000 people) - maybe I'll drive the little C1 over there and see what they'll give me for a trade-in.  🥴

• Cool 1

He came to his senses and decided to get something more practical

cj-stroud-gwagon-nil-deal-comp-2.jpg?qua
NYPOST.COM

C.J. Stroud will be styling and profiling around the Ohio State campus.

A bit humorous to think you need cash NIL deals to pay for the impending tax bill from other NIL deals.

On 6/9/2022 at 1:20 PM, deschutesduck said:

He came to his senses and decided to get something more practical

You can't make this stuff up...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Does that mean he now has to get each of his O-linemen an Audi?