idontrollonshobbas

5-Star Hoopster Dior Johnson Decommits

1391789206.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

5-star guard Dior Johnson decommitted from the Oregon Ducks and will look for a new school to begin his college career.
Edited by idontrollonshobbas

Is he still a 5*?  I thought he was a 4* now. 
Anyways, that is a bummer to lose a good recruit, but with Will coming back and the guards we signed in the transfer portal, I am guessing he saw the handwriting on the wall and his minutes were going to be somewhat limited next year. 

Thanks for posting this!  We'll be OK, as now you truly look at it year-to-year.

Dana Altman (2).jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am done with one and done wanna be's. I prefer the idea of Richardson coming back and another young guard from Oregon coming in and taking over like Pritchard did.  I am actually thrilled with the recent developments. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Dior's stock had dropped recently.  Altman's transfers made this likely if not inevitable.  Ducks will be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

This sounds like a real blessing,  From what I've read this guy sounds like the FLAKE of FLAKES.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Talented but seems guided by me first fickleness - can be a disruptive influence in the locker room.  Probably for the best.

That's very unfortunate.  Will Richardson better have his best season by far next year if we're losing recruits because of his return. I can't blame Dior Johnson for leaving if he wasn't going to get enough minutes, as he's a one and done player. Selfishly, I'd like it if he had stayed and beaten out everyone else for a starting spot. 

I think it sets up perfect for Jackson Shelstad

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/9/2022 at 8:15 PM, Westsalemduck said:

Hadn't thought of that....good point.

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 different High Schools.  'Nuff said!

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I always have mixed emotions when we lose a transfer, a coach, a recruit, etc. and there are a lot of comments along the lines of "He wasn't that great anyway" or "We're better off without him."  

On one hand, in any given situation, those comments may be entirely true.  I know nothing about this guy, so observations here that he is or could be a flake, locker room cancer, me-first, etc. might be 100% on point.

On the other hand, I know fans tend to do a lot of revisionist history.  We salivate over possibly getting a particular player or coach, rejoice like heck when we get that person, and then when something happens and that person doesn't come on board (or we never get him in the first place), out come the comments about how we're better off without him anyway and we never really wanted him.

It's similar to controversial players:  a guy like Draymond Green or Vontaze Burfict plays for our team and we vociferously defend all his actions - then he signs elsewhere and suddenly he's a dirty player and should be suspended for everything.

The question I have is if the Ducks are better off without Johnson, why did Altman try so hard to get him to sign in the first place?

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/10/2022 at 4:16 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

we vociferously defend all his actions - then he signs elsewhere and suddenly he's a dirty player

I call it the Barry Bonds syndrome.  When he was in Pittsburgh I though he was a A.  Then as a Giants fan, I was happy he became our A (pre steroids).

Confident enough to believe he's a one and done NBA first round pick. Not confident enough to believe he can win the starting position against a guy that didn't project to be drafted.

• Mic drop 2

On 6/10/2022 at 4:16 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I always have mixed emotions when we lose a transfer, a coach, a recruit, etc. and there are a lot of comments along the lines of "He wasn't that great anyway" or "We're better off without him."  

On one hand, in any given situation, those comments may be entirely true.  I know nothing about this guy, so observations here that he is or could be a flake, locker room cancer, me-first, etc. might be 100% on point.

On the other hand, I know fans tend to do a lot of revisionist history.  We salivate over possibly getting a particular player or coach, rejoice like heck when we get that person, and then when something happens and that person doesn't come on board (or we never get him in the first place), out come the comments about how we're better off without him anyway and we never really wanted him.

It's similar to controversial players:  a guy like Draymond Green or Vontaze Burfict plays for our team and we vociferously defend all his actions - then he signs elsewhere and suddenly he's a dirty player and should be suspended for everything.

The question I have is if the Ducks are better off without Johnson, why did Altman try so hard to get him to sign in the first place?

I believe that Will is going to have a great year leading our Ducks to the Final 4.

Who knows what Dior is thinking now that Will is returning? 

I'm personally neither happy or sad that Dior decommitted,  but it is interesting how he must view his skills and abilities! 

If he will actually be a one and done, I think you could make the case that he believes he will be drafted behind Will. He must not think that he would be playing in front of Will with the Ducks! 

So with those thoughts I think it's okay for Duck fans to feel that him decommitting is really the best thing for the program. We want players who embrace competition, not run from it! 

Just my thoughts! 

• Applause 1

Pretty sure we all have mixed feelings about any player who pulls the plug. In the case of Johnson, it’s not revisionist to acknowledge at the same time both his talent level and his past history of putting himself before everything else, including coaches and team mates. 

Altman has always been a ‘project’ guy who is willing to gamble he can get the best out of elite talent. Hasn’t always worked, but often enough to keep him trying.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2022 at 8:15 PM, Westsalemduck said:

Exactly and how Oregon does things. Best of luck to Dior, wherever he ends up.

This is how the future at point guard looks after Richardson is done.

Unknown.jpeg

The way I look at it, we'd likely have both Will and Dior for one season. Will should be ready to play effectively from Day #1. We've seen with previous "one-and-done" guys at Oregon that they are usually not ready--at least in Altman's eyes--to start or play starter's minutes at the beginning of the season. Thus, I think we'll get more out of Will Richardson than Dior Johnson this season. Plus, Barthelemy also plays point guard; he should be ready to go from Day 1, also. 

Thus, if this takes a disgruntled voice off the bench, I think it may be a "plus" for the Ducks. 

Nonetheless, I'll be interested to see where Dior Johnson ends up, and to watch his results on the court. I think there's a pretty good chance he doesn't become a player who will be taken in next year's NBA draft after one year of college, but, we'll see.

On 6/10/2022 at 8:43 AM, WiseKwacker said:

The way I look at it, we'd likely have both Will and Dior for one season. Will should be ready to play effectively from Day #1. We've seen with previous "one-and-done" guys at Oregon that they are usually not ready--at least in Altman's eyes--to start or play starter's minutes at the beginning of the season. Thus, I think we'll get more out of Will Richardson than Dior Johnson this season. Plus, Barthelemy also plays point guard; he should be ready to go from Day 1, also. 

Thus, if this takes a disgruntled voice off the bench, I think it may be a "plus" for the Ducks. 

Nonetheless, I'll be interested to see where Dior Johnson ends up, and to watch his results on the court. I think there's a pretty good chance he doesn't become a player who will be taken in next year's NBA draft after one year of college, but, we'll see.

It will be fascinating to watch. Will the NIL money keep these supposed one year and ready for pro ball players on campus's longer? 

The NIL money may make the level we see on the college courts higher if players stay around. There is certainly the money in college basketball to pay them decent money. 

If we start seeing a group of players staying together to play for one school again then the NIL thing might help the college game, naaaaah. Not going to happen. Interesting ponder point though.

Wish him well. Next!

I'm sure Dana knew this was going to happen if Will came back. I knew. I posted earlier this week about this scenario. And I'm a nobody.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Here’s the rub IMO. Johnson is NOT a 1 and done player.  Guys that are 1 and done don’t shoot 34% from three in HS.  They also don’t have long stretches where they struggle against HS competition and miss out on all star / all American games. 

Dior is a great player and he would have been a great addition to our roster.  But the fact that Altman went out and signed 2 JC guards and 2 more power 5 transfer guards tells you all that you need to know.  He wasn’t 100% confident that Dior was going to be able to be the man next year.  And I agree. 

Also, if Dior really believed he was even in the ballpark of being NBA ready, he wouldn’t be scared of a little competition with Will and Keeshawn.  

I am not in the “we didn’t want him anyway” club.  But I am certainly in the “Will >>> Dior” club. If keeping Will caused us to lose Dior, then so be it. 

It will be interesting to see how Johnson does at Memphis next year. 

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3

If you look at who he supposedly is down to as far as his next choice, it sure doesn't look like their beating his door down to get him on board.  Hope he ends up at WSU, good spot for him.  If he goes there he'll probably blow out hand way through the season and maybe earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1

He just signed with Pitt.

Interesting.  I had seen some rumors that he was headed to Memphis.  It will be interesting to see how he does the next couple seasons. 

He chose Pitt over the Ducks...omg,--haha fair enough. Weird decision for a 5 star guy.