Just Ducky

Added Another QB: Missouri State Transfer--Huh!

The Ducks just added a QB. Not sure what that means. But to me someone must be leaving.

4KXA6CSM3ZFOVF7L5XJDBI4BCE.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Van Dyne played at Liberty North High (Mo.) in under coach Greg Jones, who is now an analyst at Oregon.

I was just looking at that and I don't get it.  He was a backup FCS QB with not much to show stat wise.

Saw action in three games in 2021 as the club's primary backup QB, completing 4-of-9 passes for 53 yards and a pair of interceptions ... Best performance came in homecoming win over Indiana State (10/16/21) on 2-of-4 for 27 yards, including a 15-yard completion ... Also saw extensive action in road win at Dixie State (11/20/21) completing 2-of-5 passes for 26 yards and rushing twice for 3 yards. 

Jake_Van_Dyne_4222.jpg
MISSOURISTATEBEARS.COM

Jake Van Dyne (10) Quarterback - 2021 Saw action in three games in 2021 as the club's primary backup

This has to be practice squad tackling fodder. He's here for the parties and the championship ring.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning is a smart guy. There must be a solid reason why we have 3 walk on qb's.

Can't wait to find out the reason.

One thing for sure, with the high cost of "recruiting" a blue-chip qb out of HS, we will see a lot of qb movement through the portal.

7 Pac-12 teams may start a new qb from the portal. It's a new day in college football. 

The two commits today were Preferred Walk Ons.  Don't count against the 85 Scholarships

I'd prefer a walk-on kicker or punter over a QB, but I guess it doesn't matter that much.

On 6/13/2022 at 10:12 PM, DanLduck said:

There must be a solid reason why we have 3 walk on qb's.

As many have already said as walk-ons they don't count towards the 85 scholarships.

I imagine part of the reason for this many walk-on QBs is for the practice squad (again said by others) but I suspect that each QB has some different skills and will allow the practice teams to emulate different offenses more effectively.

Then there is always the chance that one of these QBs has some talent that might just need some development that might be crazy good. Though I suspect this is a move to make a better scout team.

When it comes to the scout team this year Oregon does have a bit of a problem. Typically the 3rd and 4th string quarterbacks take on scout team duties. However, Oregon only has 3 scholarship quarterbacks right now and I don't think there is much of an intention at the moment to sideline any one of them to the scout team yet.

Additionally... I think if any of the scholarship QBs are assigned to the scout team they will probably be in the transfer portal the next day. This is probably a move to keep the scholarship quarterbacks happy and engaged as well.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:12 PM, 2002duck said:

I'd prefer a walk-on kicker or punter over a QB, but I guess it doesn't matter that much.

We got a few of those as well.

I want to say 2 kickers and a punter.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:18 PM, David Marsh said:

As many have already said as walk-ons they don't count towards the 85 scholarships.

I imagine part of the reason for this many walk-on QBs is for the practice squad (again said by others) but I suspect that each QB has some different skills and will allow the practice teams to emulate different offenses more effectively.

Then there is always the chance that one of these QBs has some talent that might just need some development that might be crazy good. Though I suspect this is a move to make a better scout team.

When it comes to the scout team this year Oregon does have a bit of a problem. Typically the 3rd and 4th string quarterbacks take on scout team duties. However, Oregon only has 3 scholarship quarterbacks right now and I don't think there is much of an intention at the moment to sideline any one of them to the scout team yet.

Additionally... I think if any of the scholarship QBs are assigned to the scout team they will probably be in the transfer portal the next day. This is probably a move to keep the scholarship quarterbacks happy and engaged as well.

Bingo, solid analysis of the situation!

11135713.jpg
247SPORTS.COM

Oregon walk-on quarterback A.J. Abbott has elected to end his career with the Oregon Ducks and play his final four years of college football at a different college

Maybe this has something to do with why Lanning took another walk on QB, or else this is the reason Abbott is leaving.

• Thanks 1

Lanning is looking to SEC qualities, we may not have that yet other than Nix. 

After 1988, I think it was, when Musgrave broke his collarbone and the Ducks went through 6 quarterbacks due to injury after injury, I have always felt you could never have too many QBs.

• Thumbs Up 1